Looking for some advice!

RM7599

Here is my short story. I just turned 29 a few days ago, and I have a bachelors degree in Finance. I simply do not enjoy what I currently do as an occupation. I have always had an interest in aviation, and am only a few hours away from my ppl. I am considering pursuing commercial aviation, in hopes of flying for the airlines one day. I'm not married, no kids, and I have the money to pay for all my training, regardless of where I choose. With the state of the industry, is this a likely goal. Thanks for your time!

in my opinion, it sounds like you're set up about perfect. If you can afford the training, and you essentially have no strings... you'll be sitting pretty financially out of flight training, and also able to move where the work dictates. If you want it, I say go for it... just make sure you want it.

I'm 29, switching gears and have stepped into aviation. So head up into the blue skies. I am married with two boys, and have full support from my family. The biggest question I asked myself is "what am I giving up to persue this"? Ask yourself that, and go from there.

I'm in the same boat as you, except I'm a few years older. I say go for it. They'll tell you that the airline industry is so cyclical, and they're right, but tell me something. Would it be better to have been put on furlough by one of the legacy carriers, or to have lost your job in the finance department at WorldCom?

You are set up pretty good right now...I would definately go for it. If you can stay out of debt and can move around with the jobs give it a try. You can always go back to a finance job if it doesn't work out...

Good Luck

Well, I have given myself a deadline to make my decision, so we will see what happens. I pretty sure I'm leaning towards the blue skys!!!

I'd say to all of you guys GO FOR IT !

That's the thing - you can't fly for hire just for money or travel benefits, you have to have a dream to do it.

I came to this great country 5 years ago and started washing dishes for a living - 15 hour days, tiny room on the basement for $80/month and everyone smiled when I told them that I have a dream to fly airplanes...

Here I am now with 4-year college at a regional airline loving what I do and doing what I love! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/spin2.gif

Good luck and keep in touch

Your story sounds very much like my own. The big difference was that at your age, I decided not to give up the money my previous career brought. So, even though I hated my job I kept it up for several more years.

Finally in the summer of 2000 at age 39 I decided to go for it, regardless of the sacrifice. Four years later I'm a FO making perhaps 25% of what I made before. However that's only first year pay, and the captains upgrade will be there in the short term.

Worth it? Absolutely! In my previous career I was miserable, and dreaded getting out of bed each morning. I love what I do now, and the view from my new "office" is fabulous.

Financially, my overall career earnings may not be as high due to the late start and the age 60 rule. But, it is possible, and I still have my sanity. Had I started at in my younger 30's, it would have been easy.

You do have one advantage compared to the younger guys - you can train full-time and emerge on the other side without mountains of debt.

Hey, RM. I agree with those who've already replied to you. The bachelors degree in finance will surely be attractive to any future interviewer. I have a BBA in marketing and hope it, too, will look good. I'm 32 years old, and I've been a loan officer at a bank (yuck!) for nearly 3 years while I chip away at my training. If you want it, then just jump in head first. As far as I can tell, this website is a sound source of information for anyone considering a career in aviation. Feel free to PM me if I can help. Go get 'em!

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 32 years old, and I've been a loan officer at a bank (yuck!) for nearly 3 years while I chip away at my training.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I have some more money to finance my flying habit, please?

Back