Airlines/Air travel in the news

invadertim

In my experence, its always my fault.
So I just went on Politico a few minutes ago, and the headline banner was all about hot cabins, which is miserable thing to have to live through of course. The story right below it was all about pilotless aircraft, a threat to many of us here to be sure. But It got me thinking about something else; Is there any other industry that shows up in the news more often than Airlines?

I mean Finance has its own networks covering it, but its so broad that it kinda needs it, and even then its not usually front page stuff. As far as a segment of society/economy air travel is really not that huge, but it seems to show up in news feeds on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times/stories a day. Or at any rate it seems that way to me. Am I wrong, or am I just seeing what matters most to me?

It gets clicks. It sells.

Diarrhea in a plane.

Drunk passenger removed.

Flight diverted!

United flights stop nationwide!

Most people would click these links to find out more.

Clicks = money

So I just went on Politico a few minutes ago, and the headline banner was all about hot cabins, which is miserable thing to have to live through of course. The story right below it was all about pilotless aircraft, a threat to many of us here to be sure. But It got me thinking about something else; Is there any other industry that shows up in the news more often than Airlines?

I mean Finance has its own networks covering it, but its so broad that it kinda needs it, and even then its not usually front page stuff. As far as a segment of society/economy air travel is really not that huge, but it seems to show up in news feeds on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times/stories a day. Or at any rate it seems that way to me. Am I wrong, or am I just seeing what matters most to me?

Labor Day weekend, a lot of people traveling, it drives clicks because people love being stressed out and the drama of it all.

BIGGEST TRAVEL DAY IN US HISTORY!

I suppose, the news is click driven, but it seems to me you do see more of what goes on in our industry than most others. It could be my internal bias I suppose.

Labor Day weekend, a lot of people traveling, it drives clicks because people love being stressed out and the drama of it all.

BIGGEST TRAVEL DAY IN US HISTORY!
Was it? Seemed kinda normal. I had three (3) HPN turns. Thankfully the weather was nice for a change.

NPR had a front news story today about how small towns can't get air service anymore.

At some point American's decided that turbprops are death traps and now no one uses Dash 8s or ATRs anymore, much like our ever increasing desires for larger and larger SUVs for our suburban commutes, so sorry Williamport PA, no air service for you, drive the 90 minutes to Harrisburg. This country is so insane sometimes.

That and The Daily did an entire podcast about near misses. Been flying since I was 17 years old and the last time I came too close to another airplane was my 2nd formatiion flight in T-6 Phase 3. Gotta keep the public scared I guess.

The amount of news stories lacking context about aviation this week have been so alarming.

Purely apocryphally, but I was talking to a friend (reputedly) tonight, and we agreed that the level of absolute lunacy in the zeitgeist seems to have receded just a bit in the last month or two. Let's see, what has happened in the last month or two...

That said, as several mentioned above, if it leads bleary-eyed, on-edge netizens to click, it will be front and center.

Purely apocryphally, but I was talking to a friend (reputedly) tonight, and we agreed that the level of absolute lunacy in the zeitgeist seems to have receded just a bit in the last month or two. Let's see, what has happened in the last month or two...

That said, as several mentioned above, if it leads bleary-eyed, on-edge netizens to click, it will be front and center.

800,000 flights a week operating in a completely safe and mundane manner just doesn't get clicks.

No more attention than the medical industry, pharmaceutical industry, tech, etc..

It’s not surprising to me. Two and a half million Americans fly, per day. Think of how many one-on-one interactions result.

As a passenger, I have to get myself in a pre-game mindset before I head to the airport. I take active measures to be a good passenger.

I still have my moments. A few weeks ago a TSA agent instructed everybody to remove laptops and electronics. Less than thirty seconds later another agent loudly scolded the line not to remove items, telling the line, “you folks need to pay attention”.

I responded, “you folks need to get your sheet together before you scold travelers”.
I glanced over at the police officer and gave him the I’m not going to be a problem look. He smiled. He watches this stuff day-in and day-out. I regretted saying anything. Oddly, travel can bring out the worst in, even in well adjusted folks.

Aviation is also one of the few things people don't have visibility into given the clandestine nature of how our business operates. Uncertainty drives curiosity.

And if you combine that with the fact that a third of the population is at least a bit afraid of flying and a lot of those self-medicate with alcohol, it’s a wonder there’s not more incidents.

I suppose, the news is click driven, but it seems to me you do see more of what goes on in our industry than most others. It could be my internal bias I suppose.
Some truth to that. I can’t believe that “tug hit airplane” while reposition from hangar to ramp makes the news, but it does. Someone installing a room without an air return doesn’t make the news.

Some truth to that. I can’t believe that “tug hit airplane” while reposition from hangar to ramp makes the news, but it does. Someone installing a room without an air return doesn’t make the news.

Well, we see how the sausage is made.

Well the news about someone pooping onboard the aircraft.

That's not THAT rare and if Captain Drama didn't describe it over the radio, it wouldn't be a story.

We had someone drop trow in our cabin in Mumbai, we had him removed, aircraft cleaned and didn't get all Kardashian about it.

Most of the internet today tries to tailor its advertisements to you. They use the information you provide through your internet activities to improve their stuff. That though, all of the above is also true. Aviation is special.

You're kidding right? You notice it and ignore other articles because it's your industry, that's fine. I wonder if the UAW, SAG-AFTRA and WGA are wondering about their screen time. I heard a bunch of struck shows are starting up again. ARE UNIONS OVER?! STORY AT 11!!

Back