Logbook question

PGT

When I started flying I was given the old standard pilot logbook, the cheap black one that doesn't look very professional.
I have been looking at various logbooks and them seem to be going for around $30-40, not cheap if you're a college student.

My question, I don't want to show to a job with this old logbook so when would the best time be to switch? Right after commercial?

I wouldn't worry about it, I'd just fill up the one you have. It probably won't take much more than 500 hours or so to do that. By the time you're looking for jobs outside of basic CFI'ing you'll have another one. Everyone knows that your first logbook probably isn't going to be a 1000 page jeppesen professional model, and anyone who wouldn't hire you based on that probably isn't worth working for anyway.

My question, I don't want to show to a job with this old logbook so when would the best time be to switch? Right after commercial?

Has zero bearing on anything. I know guys that use the pocket size logbooks for everything with no problems (121). Some guys just use xcel. Don't worry because you don't have a Jepp. I still use the Asa-I hate the format of the Jepp's. Use what you want when you want.

I got my new logbook when I was finished (for the most part) with other people writing in my logbook. After I got my CFI, I got the new book. That way, I can keep the whole thing looking uniform and not have some other CFI's scribbles in it. I'm slightly anal about it, though.

I switched to the larger ASA logbook from my smaller logbook when I started flying professionally, i.e. about 270 TT. It just made sense to do it that way.

I say you should stop flying entirely cause you suck Ajdin..
Nah, I ended up changing logbooks somewhere around 70 hours because it was looking sloppy thanks to my glider time. I got the senior pilots log form sportys (20-30 bucks) and it looks great now!

Congrats on the Instrument ticket by the way!

Switching logbooks isn't going to make your first logbook look any more professional. If $30 is a major concern to you as a college student, just fill up the one you have before buying another one.

BTW, there's nothing that says a CFI has to fill out your logbook. The FARs say he has to sign it. Make the entry yourself so you can ensure it meets your standards for professionalism, and then tell him where you want him to sign it. (I do this myself.)

I had a CFI once tell me that she needed two lines to log everything. (Her CFI ink stamp used about 1.5 lines) That was the last time she touched my logbook.

As a CFI, I generally make log entries for guys prior to solo. After solo I have them make the entries (so they can learn how to do it) and just sign their books.

It's your logbook. Take charge of it.

Im about ready for my 4th small logbook and I only been flying 4 years. It might look goofy at an interview if they ask me to bring my whole bag of logbooks, but I dont like carrying a HUGE book around everywhere I go. Besides, if I lose it, I wont lose it all, I would still have the other three safe in my closet :)

Everybody has an old first log book.
There is no point in not filling it's pages, before you buy the new one.

I did have the small gleim log book and really liked it, but they don't make a professional log (a big thick one), so when I switched Jepp professional logbook and am really happy with it.

There is nothing unprofessional about having a log book that doesn't say professional on the cover.
no worries.

Edit: In fact, I really like thumbing through my little full log book, it is full of first time memories and great experiences. And my grandfathers log book too for that matter. Don't be in a rush to do away with it. You may pass it down someday.

Im about ready for my 4th small logbook and I only been flying 4 years. It might look goofy at an interview if they ask me to bring my whole bag of logbooks, but I dont like carrying a HUGE book around everywhere I go. Besides, if I lose it, I wont lose it all, I would still have the other three safe in my closet :)

In a fire safe I hope! Hey, you never know.

My thinking is that you should spend more energy on how you are logging your flights. If your log is precise and taken care of, the book will not matter.

Back