Line Service Pay

rdsoxpilot

Just curious on average how much starting pay would be for a place like Million Air or Signature. I've heard anywhere from 10-11 bones an hour.

Enough to Fly 10 hours per month, and still have enough to save and pay some bills. :) Here at TEB, it's 13 per hour at most FBO's.

That's about right. You can search these companies on a website like Monster or Careerbuilder, sometimes they have the hourly wage posted on the vacancy page. I've seen anywhere from $9.00 to $11.00 per hour when it is posted.

My first (and only) job as a line service tech was at a small GA airport in Houston, and I started at $10.00/Hr, so what you have heard generally seems to be correct.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. I have to start being nicer to those guys. $13/hour in the NYC area???? That's like right on the line between cardboard box and paper bag.

PS. I will say that the pax seem to have an idea. They generally tip line circus, and almost ALWAYS at TEB or HPN (or BOS, for that matter). But still.

It was $8.50/hr where I was line guy. Moderately busy Class C airport and we had about 10 guys.

We all begged and pleaded for higher starting pay and more raises when I was there, but the company was pretty cheap. Most of the employees hadn't seen raises in 3-4 years when I left.

$9-$11\hr is the norm. I was making $11\hr when I was a line guy

11$ at Airflyte? Better than my friend makes at American.

I'm looking for options now that I lost my medical..Gotta stay in the Aviation realm to keep my sanity.

Enough to Fly 10 hours per month, and still have enough to save and pay some bills. :) Here at TEB, it's 13 per hour at most FBO's.

Do places like BOS/JFK/TEB require experience? The job listings online don't give much leeway as to pay etc....

Thanks in advance

Yes $9-11/hr is average. My very first line job was at $6/hr, even though it was four years ago that pay was horrible.

Aviation operating at the bottom line is unheard of.

rdsoxpilot said:
Ugh, that's terrible pay.

Which, the $10.00 or the $6.00? When I worked line service, I felt $10.00/hr sucked. Part of that was due to the fact that I worked at a privately owned general aviation airport, and the airport manager wasn't the easiest person to work with.

Have you also considered the customer service rep. (desk) positions at signature/landmark/Atlantic? It's still aviation related, and sometimes they start out higher than line service techs.

Have you also considered the customer service rep. (desk) positions at signature/landmark/Atlantic? It's still aviation related, and sometimes they start out higher than line service techs.

People like me will make sure you're unhappy with whatever you earn in a position like that. WHY AREN'T WE ON LINE? MY PASSENGERS ARE HERE! I ASKED FOR A GPU 7.5 MINUTES AGO! WHERE'S THE CREWCAR? WHERE'S THE CATERING I TOLD YOU TO KEEP IN THE FRIDGE TEN MINUTES AGO, THEY'RE HERE! ;)

Boris Badenov said:
People like me will make sure you're unhappy with whatever you earn in a position like that. WHY AREN'T WE ON LINE? MY PASSENGERS ARE HERE! I ASKED FOR A GPU 7.5 MINUTES AGO! WHERE'S THE CREWCAR? WHERE'S THE CATERING I TOLD YOU TO KEEP IN THE FRIDGE TEN MINUTES AGO, THEY'RE HERE! ;)

I hate you. :(

:D

Ugh, that's terrible pay.

In fairness, the $6/hr was at a small town airport, not busy at all.

If your near TEB area, you might get a little bit more.

And moving up to the management ranks takes years and years at an established facility like Sig or Atlantic. The revolving door at these places is at the bottom level typically.

I know this post is a little old... but I currently work at signature and if you have experience at my location, they start you out at 9.50 and 9.00 w/o experience. Every location is different when it comes to pay. I think the FBO's up in ATL starts around 12.

As for the airlines I think WN starts around 10 an hour, but they make good after you been with the company for a while. Everyone and everywhere is different on pay.

get a job at a busy ramp and expect to work for $15/hr. any less and the company either doesn't make any money or is too shady to invest in their employees.

So this really is the bottom of the aviation ranks when it comes to wages eh?

Eh... For the most part, But I consistently made 40k+ at my line jobs. That's why I chose to work at the busiest airports. More work and more money. Hell, some FBO's are full of lifers pulling in a decent hourly wage.

Back