Oh Boeing… again 🤬

CAS or EICAS on the 737?

hahaha-good-one-h535q8pkq6un7500.gif

I’ve never “inadvertently” left A-ICE on. That’s because I only throw it on moments before entering the clouds, and then take it away as soon as we are out.

I’ve had FOs on my leg, we start down from FL350, cloud layer around 20-25k, and they just throw it on. Well it’s anticipated they say. Okay, but we are now drumming around in clear air with 10,000+ ft to go down before hitting ice. Worse, you condition yourself for those switches to be on even when in clear air.

I’ll wait until about ~1000 ft before layer and then throw it on.

We seem to have gotten better about it ever since the MAX A-ICE memo.
Operationally we’ll do that sometimes when anticipated - but that’s more because the auto throttles have a different limit stop when on, and we need to proactively slow for fixes. Speed brakes for us are really noticeable and I prefer not to drag them all the way down.

On the flip side - our slats are super temperature sensitive and if we land with anti ice on, it’s a log. Cool down before we can clean up… so much so that we usually clean the wing after shut down using the standby pump.

Having to do that dance = not forgetting to turn it off. Ever lol

Operationally we’ll do that sometimes when anticipated - but that’s more because the auto throttles have a different limit stop when on, and we need to proactively slow for fixes. Speed brakes for us are really noticeable and I prefer not to drag them all the way down.

On the flip side - our slats are super temperature sensitive and if we land with anti ice on, it’s a log. Cool down before we can clean up… so much so that we usually clean the wing after shut down using the standby pump.

Having to do that dance = not forgetting to turn it off. Ever lol

On the VNAV descent forecast page, we can enter FL altitude for antice on, and altitude for anti ice off. And it will use that to calculate the higher idle power for descent for that portion.

On the VNAV descent forecast page, we can enter FL altitude for antice on, and altitude for anti ice off. And it will use that to calculate the higher idle power for descent for that portion.

I do like that feature, but I wonder if it has ever been used with an accurate wx prediction? BKN025, OVC050, OVC100, doesn't really tell me much useful information, other than I guess, where to set the lower limit.

I would just bump up the manual throttles a bit to a higher idle setting if needed. :)

Operationally we get 3 minutes below the minimum idle setting for descent (manual doesn’t speak to doing it again after idle up so maybe more? Idk)

However you have to turn off the auto throttles to do this, and even the person in the aft lav can hear “autothrottle Autothrottle”

Back to Boeing the safety review panel’s report came out this week.

And now the FAA has given them 90 days to fix their systemic quality control issues.

Five years after the start of the MAX debacle and these clowns still don’t get it. It won’t happen due to the addiction of the quarterly earnings disciples in the US but if there ever was a case study in the failure of GE style Jack Welchian management it is here.

But hey at least they are now focused on the important stuff, like relocating the HQ to DC…

And now the FAA has given them 90 days to fix their systemic quality control issues.

Five years after the start of the MAX debacle and these clowns still don’t get it. It won’t happen due to the addiction of the quarterly earnings disciples in the US but if there ever was a case study in the failure of GE style Jack Welchian management it is here.

But hey at least they are now focused on the important stuff, like relocating the HQ to DC…
Hilarious that people are still pretending this is some aberration instead of the inevitable consequences of capitalism's built in incentives

I think moving the HQ back to Seattle would have been a great show of rejoining the corporate side with the manufacturing side and bringing some harmony and synergy (buzzword I know) back to the company. They turn it down and look to move closer to their lobbying efforts. I am not exaggerating when I say that I have never seen such a large, historical, and public company, outwardly and openly try to ruin themselves. They are literally trying to fail. 90 days to fix large and probably irreversible systemic issues? Good luck. They will take 85 days to create smoke and mirrors and fake to look like they did the right thing.

There will be more documentaries made about this company in the future, and they won't be favorable. I am not sure we see a true redemption story here...

90 days to fix large and probably irreversible systemic issues?
This was exactly my take. The ole “30-60-90 360 world-class” think about it for a quarter and then never again.

That’s not even enough time for HR to create and post the internal job roles for early/mid-career “process managers” to run-at.

How about a subcommittee allocates some of their purse-strings for a long-term project to rehabilitate America’s primary aerospace vendor. You know, the one that EXIM fund is named after. 😠

“Boeing is in talks to buy back Spirit AeroSystems, which makes fuselages for Boeing’s 737 Max jets, the companies said Friday, as the manufacturers scramble to stamp out production flaws on the top-selling plane.

Boeing in 2005 spun off operations in Kansas and Oklahoma that became the present-day Spirit AeroSystems. About 70% of Spirit’s revenue last year came from Boeing, and roughly a quarter came from making parts for Boeing’s main rival, Airbus, according to a securities filing. Airbus declined to comment on the deal talks.”

The ghosts if the 787 outsourcing fiasco are coming back to haunt them. Just like straightening out that program required buying out Vought Aircraft in Charleston and placing a significant permanent presence at Kawasaki and Mitsubishi to coach them on manufacturing the composite wing. Some bean counters thought they'd get clever by outsourcing more of the manufacturing process, and in some cases the engineering process as well. Now it's going to cost them more to bring it back in house than if they'd left it alone to begin with. Just like the 787 [insert facepalm emoji]

The ghosts if the 787 outsourcing fiasco are coming back to haunt them. Just like straightening out that program required buying out Vought Aircraft in Charleston and placing a significant permanent presence at Kawasaki and Mitsubishi to coach them on manufacturing the composite wing. Some bean counters thought they'd get clever by outsourcing more of the manufacturing process, and in some cases the engineering process as well. Now it's going to cost them more to bring it back in house than if they'd left it alone to begin with. Just like the 787 [insert facepalm emoji]
Yeah but in the interim they created so much shareholder value!

Yeah but in the interim they created so much shareholder value!

I mean, this gets to the heart of the problem, obviously. (It's obvious right? Surely it must be obvious). There's nothing systemically wrong with Capitalism in this limited circumstance. Like, I'm not responding to a full Marxist critique, here, but in the more narrow view the only exigent problem is that Capitalism has become three-card-Monty, but on a global scale.

We've all experienced this individually, where some Brand gets bought and their product nosedives in Quality while the idiot masses (that's us) take a while to figure out what's happened. That's about the time the hedge funds and associated other finance "industries" cash out their winnings and move on to the next victim. The infuriating thing is that this is simply solved, no 3d chess required, but Regulatory Capture is very, very Real.

Back