Line Jobs: Required Knowledge?

Aloha717200

Hi guys, new here. Planning a move to SLC within a year, going to try to get on the line there, probably at Million Air.

What I'd like to know is, from your experience working the line, what advice would you have for someone brand new and unexperienced?

I've been applying for the line at PIH for 6 years no less and it hasn't happened for me, SLC has more opportunity, so if I'm lucky enough to get hired on there, I don't want to be too big of a screw up when I first start!

I did a brief internship for the PIH line in 2002, but it wasn't a very in depth experience, I never fueled anything larger than a C172. But if I get this SLC job it'll be the start of my career and I want to do things right.

Got any advice?

And just how forgiving of "newbie" questions and errors are FBOs for the most part? I ask a lot of questions because I like to be 100% precise in what I do, rather than just "wing it." Is this a good policy?

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, new here. Planning a move to SLC within a year, going to try to get on the line there, probably at Million Air.

What I'd like to know is, from your experience working the line, what advice would you have for someone brand new and unexperienced?

I've been applying for the line at PIH for 6 years no less and it hasn't happened for me, SLC has more opportunity, so if I'm lucky enough to get hired on there, I don't want to be too big of a screw up when I first start!

I did a brief internship for the PIH line in 2002, but it wasn't a very in depth experience, I never fueled anything larger than a C172. But if I get this SLC job it'll be the start of my career and I want to do things right.

Got any advice?

And just how forgiving of "newbie" questions and errors are FBOs for the most part? I ask a lot of questions because I like to be 100% precise in what I do, rather than just "wing it." Is this a good policy?

Thanks in advance.

Although this has applied to me with every job, I'd say that specially in aviation, you can't just send in a resume and hope someone will call you. You have to go in and talk to a manager. If they say they're not hiring you keep coming back till' you get hired. That's how I got it and that's how I know some of the guys here got it.

If you work for an FBO worth working for, you won't need to know anything prior to getting a job there. My company has an entire training program with videos/OJT so that we can hire guys who know nothing about airplanes and get them up to par in relatively little time. One thing that would have helped me a bit prior to getting there, would be learning to recognize different aircraft. Learn the difference between a G4 and a G3. Go on a.net and look at photos and learn what they look like.

Summing up, the job is not as hard as it sounds. All duties are pretty straight-forward.

Fueling- Single-point and over-wing. Over-wing you just press the nozzle and fuel squirts into the tank. Single-point you hook up the hose to the aircraft and press a button (deadman) and fuel flows to the aircraft. Prist is an additive that prevents ice from building in the fuel. Positive prist indicates the aircraft needs prist and negative prist indicates no prist needs to be added. Usually hawkers and beechjets take prist.

Lavs- Different places on different aircraft. Some are pull-out, and some you hook up to the aircraft using a lav cart. With pull-outs, the pilot usually will hand it to you and you just dump it at a designated area and then fill it up with blue juice or water per pilot request. The kind where you hook up to the aircraft, you have two hoses. One pumps clean water with a blue chemical (blue juice) and the other is used to dump the dirty water. Hook both up to the aircraft. Dump the dirty water, ask the pilot how many gallons s/he wants back in (usually ranges from 1-3 gallons), then you pump that many gallons in. I try to do a good job so I go ahead and dump it and pump that many gallons back in. As a matter of fact, its a bit of a waste to put the full amount the first time so I usually just put half. Hawker lavs are a PITA because you have a "doughnut" that needs to be removed prior to dumping. I won't get too deep into lavs but you get the idea.

Marshalling- Easy hand signals that can't be explained over the forum and you'll learn in 5 minutes.

Towing- Can't be explained over a forum. At my FBO, you are selected to go through a training program for it. You'll need to learn the different tow heads, tow limits (limit in which the nose gear can be turned either way), as well as which aircraft have disconnects and gear pins. After that, you still have to develop the art of fitting aircraft into hangars without wasting much space.

Potable water- Kind of like the lav without the dumping part. Expect you fill it till' it's full. Different aircraft have different indicators telling you when that happens.

GPUs- Or Ground Power Units. You just connect it to the airplane (different locations on different aircraft). Turn it on then turn the connector on. Usually you'll turn it off right after both engines are started. Some aircraft like the P180 though they like it turned off after the right engine is started because the GPU location is right in front of the left prop and there is a good possibility of getting hurt.

Oil- If you're a pilot this should be easy. Jets are much different.

Just a quick overview from what I know so far. Eventually I might clean this up considerably and get more input from the other line guys here on JC and make an official guide.

Wow, thanks for all of the excellent info. I think the thing I'm most concerned about is working around spinning props. During my internship standing in front of those things marshalling an aircraft was unnerving enough, let alone thinking about connecting a GPU near a spinning prop.

Might take me a bit of time to memorize tow limits on various aircraft. I'm good with identification though, subscribing to Plane & Pilot helps on the GA end. Glad to hear that thorough training is commonplace, as despite my enthusiasm, I'd hate to be thrown into a crash course. In one of my threads I described having Asperger's, and it means that detailed instructions, lists, and routines are easier for me to understand than having to think quickly and use common sense to answer questions, so thorough training for me would be essential to me doing a good job.

A guide would be excellent. I say go for it.

BCT did a good job in explaining our job. You really don't need a college degree to work line service.

As far as spinning props and such...well...basically just don't walk into them. A lot of common sense is in there. Don't chock a prop plane until they cut their engines. Though there are definitely some things that are a bit unnerving, but you don't have much of a choice. Plugging in a GPU into a Merlin where the socket is on the nose, and you're not more than 3 feet away from a spinning turbo-prop isn't exactly one of my top 5 favorite places to be. But as long as you're paying attention to your surroundings, or at least the stuff that will kill you, then you'll be fine.

Everything else will come with time and experience. You'll probably have at least a couple of different sizes of tugs and towbars. For me, it took a little while to be comfortable pulling around multi-million dollar aircraft in and out of hangars, but I got used to it and got pretty good at it.

As far as getting the job with no experience, my suggestion would definitely concentrate on FBOs that are run by county or municipal government as opposed to going up to Part 135 operations and the like. Most of the time, the private operations are looking for the people with at least a few years of experience for insuarnace reasons. KDPA is county-run, so there wasn't any problem with hiring me with no experience for insurance reasons. It just took knowing someone to grease some wheels in the right places to get me my job.

I'll tell you also, the more I hear about people who have trouble getting line jobs, the more I appreciate having mine, despite the low pay. Right now, I'm working two jobs...The ramp rat gig pays the bills, my other job pays for my flying. But it certainly plays hell on social life, and I'm single right now too...:p

Cheers!

I compiled a list of the fueling locations on the aircraft we get most frequently at our FBO. Feel free to add more.

JETS:

Falcon 10/20: OW
Global Express: SPR (Front-Right)
Legacy: SPR (Front-Right)
Jetstar II: SPR (Front Right).
Diamond Jet: Main (OW) Aux (By right engine)
Premier I: SPR (Front-Right)
Sabreliner: SPR (Front-Right)
Jetstream: OW.
Learjet 35/36: OW.
Learjet 31/45/55/60: SPR (Back-Right)
Hawker 125-400: OW.
Hawker 700: SPR (Back-Right)
Beechjet 400: Main (OW) Aux (By right engine)
Citation I/II/Ultra: OW.
Citation Excel: SPR (Front-Right)
Citation III/VI/VII: SPR (Back-Right)
Citation X: SPR (Front-Right)
Falcon 50/900/2000: SPR (Back-Right)
Challenger 600: SPR (Front-Right)
Dash-8: SPR (Back of right engine)
Gulfstram G100/200: SPR (Back-Right).
Gulfstream II/III/IV/V: SPR (Front-Right)
Westwind: SPR (Back-Right)

TURBO-PROPS:

King Air 300: Main (Tips) Aux (Inboards).
King Air 90: Main (Engine nacelles) and Aux (Outboards)
Cessna 441 Conquest: Main (Tips)
MU-2: Main (Closest to fuselage) Outer Main (Middle of wing) Aux (Tip tanks)
Piaggio: SPR (Back -Right)
PC-12: Main (Outboards)
Piper Cheyenne: Main (Engine nacelles) Aux (Tips)
Turbo Commander: Main (Inboards) Aux (Outboards)

Line service is not a difficult job, and you surely don't need a college degree. There are checks and balances going so you don't accidentally give someone the wrong kind of fuel and cause an engine failure. The FBO has insurance in the case that a worker tows a jet into a concrete wall or something, so you won't be held financially responsible for the damage.

The worst part about the job is probably the weather. It can get pretty cold when you're fueling in the middle of the night sometime in February. Getting soaked out there sucks too, but that's here in the Northeast. The pay sucks too, usually. But if you love aviation, I think it can be enjoyable. I could be doing something involving more skill right now, earning at least 1.5 times as much, but I think I'll stay here for the time being.

And dont hit the aircraft with a rental car or tug. Our secratary a couple days ago hit a jet with a rental car, even though it did no damage, (not even a scratch) she got fired over it.

Back