Couple of Questions on Changing Careers

I am considering two schools. Both are in Dallas. Does anyone have any thoughts on which one is a better choice and/or would I be more successful in landing a job with either one? IFOD vs Aircraft Dispatch Training Center. Comparing apples to apples - the same 5 week course at both schools. One of them has an earlier class opening vs the other I'd have to wait longer for the next class.
Both are good. Any response you get here will probably be from people that attended one school or the other. Whatever school fits your schedule better.

they’ll both get you your certificate just fine. where adtc really helped me was the interview prep and free refresher training after graduation. ifod seems to offer refresher training as well, but with a fee according to their website

they’ll both get you your certificate just fine. where adtc really helped me was the interview prep and free refresher training after graduation. ifod seems to offer refresher training as well, but with a fee according to their website
I would agree, interview prep is a very useful feature and the refresher is good to have as well.

Based on your username (more of an EAGUL guy myself) I’m guessing you’d like to stay somewhere out west. Mesa would be worth looking into when you get your ticket. Despite what people may say,experience is experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Based on your username (more of an EAGUL guy myself) I’m guessing you’d like to stay somewhere out west. Mesa would be worth looking into when you get your ticket. Despite what people may say,experience is experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It would be nice to not have to move :) But looking at the pay list I see they are one of the lowest ones so that's not very encouraging. The cost of living out here is not what it used to be.

It would be wise to stay away from IFOD. ADTC is the better place to go as there is more passion and solid training there than at IFOD. Chris is the man and he will ensure you are prepared when you finish.

Gonna have to chime in as IFOD is a solid and great choice with current AA dispatchers and former pilots as instructors.

IFOD and ATDC are in the DFW area and I know tons from both that are great people!

Bottom line, go with what fits you. sit and talk with instructors from prospective schools. Don't listen to those that trash schools as those are dispatchers you don't want to associate with at an airline.
IT IS ALL ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL STUDY HABITS AND DRIVE!

Good luck and this is a wonderful career!

Greetings all, I'm new here! Seriously considering changing careers to Dispatch and a couple questions come to mind. One, I don't have any airline experience except for a part time summer gig more than a decade ago as a ramper for a regional. Is that going to hurt my chances of getting a job once I get licensed, when the only thing I will have is the license?

Second, if I take the course in the fall I would be licensed most likely during November. Is the holiday season a bad time to be applying for Dispatch jobs? Do a lot of openings come up then or do airlines wait till the new year to start hiring again? I thought about that because I know that most airlines would have the new guys in their own training class at first so I don't know if, due to staffing levels, they'd suspend that during the busy season. If I do take the course I would want to get on as quickly as possible.
If you're looking to take a course and go right into dispatching, i recommend Republic Airways. They have an "apprenticeship" program and will pay you to get your license and more than likely hire you as a FT dispatcher as soon as you pass the course.

If you're looking to take a course and go right into dispatching, i recommend Republic Airways. They have an "apprenticeship" program and will pay you to get your license and more than likely hire you as a FT dispatcher as soon as you pass the course.
Yep, I applied there first. Got interviewed but didn't get it.

Yep, I applied there first. Got interviewed but didn't get it.
If I were you I would reapply. The Republic definitely needs new apprentices. They're losing many ppl constantly to the majors. I would practice the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, and Result) method for answers to interview questions. Good luck and look for their next job posting.

If I were you I would reapply. The Republic definitely needs new apprentices. They're losing many ppl constantly to the majors. I would practice the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, and Result) method for answers to interview questions. Good luck and look for their next job posting.
Well they told me this (Sept.) was their last class of 2023, and they will likely skip the first class of 2024 due to rolling out new software.

Well they told me this (Sept.) was their last class of 2023, and they will likely skip the first class of 2024 due to rolling out new software.
I just saw an email about hiring for a class starting October 9th at Republic. Make sure to check it out and good luck!

I am considering two schools. Both are in Dallas. Does anyone have any thoughts on which one is a better choice and/or would I be more successful in landing a job with either one? IFOD vs Aircraft Dispatch Training Center. Comparing apples to apples - the same 5 week course at both schools. One of them has an earlier class opening vs the other I'd have to wait longer for the next class.
I went to IFOD last year. The guy running the desk next to me went to ADTC. I feel like ADTC does a better job keeping in touch after you graduate and will let you know of upcoming openings. Apparently, they also offer an interview refresher at no cost if I understand correctly. I have not heard anything from IFOD after graduating and even sent a couple emails to them with no responses back. IFOD supposedly has a good relationship with Envoy/AA, but still had no luck getting on with Envoy even though they were actively hiring at the time. The instructor for my class was new to teaching dispatch and there were a couple rough days, but the director is almost always nearby and will jump in to help the class. They will do everything in their power to help you pass the exams.

Prior to dispatching I worked primarily in banking, and had no aviation experience. I found out about the job by chance and knew it would be something I would be happier doing. It seems like regional jobs are always popping up. I would try to shoot for the better regionals, but don't pass up an opportunity waiting for something else. Some people in my dispatch class even made it to ULCC's right out of school, but now with their increased pay it will probably be more difficult to get on with them. Just apply to anyone you can and get that 121 experience.

IFOD will let you come do review, ETOPS refresher and interview prep. You just have to be persistent.

Back