Couple of Questions on Changing Careers

BRUSR_ONE

Greetings all, I'm new here! Seriously considering changing careers to Dispatch and a couple questions come to mind. One, I don't have any airline experience except for a part time summer gig more than a decade ago as a ramper for a regional. Is that going to hurt my chances of getting a job once I get licensed, when the only thing I will have is the license?

Second, if I take the course in the fall I would be licensed most likely during November. Is the holiday season a bad time to be applying for Dispatch jobs? Do a lot of openings come up then or do airlines wait till the new year to start hiring again? I thought about that because I know that most airlines would have the new guys in their own training class at first so I don't know if, due to staffing levels, they'd suspend that during the busy season. If I do take the course I would want to get on as quickly as possible.

I recently did just that. I had a totally unrelated job, signed up for the ground school to get my dispatch cert, finished school last October (took about 3 months from start to finish), actually started interviewing before class had even ended and had 3 offers by the time November rolled around.

Still feel like its the perfect time to get into this line of work.

I did this same route last summer and agree, it’s still a great time to get in. Depending on your location, you may need to be flexible with location depending on your offers. I’m a year in at the regional level and am loving it!

Best of luck to you.

If you live in the Indy area or are willing to move here, Republic Airways has a great flight dispatcher apprenticeship. I did it last summer. Some of the ppl in my class had zero aviation experience. Basically, we had an instructor from Jeppesen train us for seven weeks, at our Training facility near the airport, in order to pass the FAA written ADX and Oral and Practical Exams. The best thing is you'll be a guaranteed a job with Republic if you pass both exams. The training's extremely intense. But after 1 year of employment (which is the bare minimum experience required by most major airlines) you'll owe Republic $2000 of the original $4000 (2-year contract). But if you get hired by a major, that 2 grand will be well worth it!

Last edited:
Welcome to JC, and welcome back to aviation. As others have said, these last 14-16 months have been a great time for entering. Retirement rates continue to rise, and the transfers coming over from regionals aren't filling the seats fast enough. You probably already know how ready you'd have to be for relocating, since there are limited NOC/SOC/Ops Centers around the US. Some of us here make commuting work; some of us here have gotten lucky and found homes with one carrier through the years. YMMV.

As for experience within the industry, don't discount the ramp life at some FBO. It's a fantastic way to build your network; and if one particular favorite carrier hires you, don't feel like you'd burn the bridge jumping over to another airline. Good luck, and mind your FOB.

Like a few others said, I graduated Dec. of last year and already had a few job offers before I received my license lol. Regionals are always hiring and won't care about your previous experience. It will more than likely give you a leg up from others if you decide to go to a major as long as it was 121 experience. Good luck!

If you live in the Indy area or are willing to move here, Republic Airways has a great flight dispatcher apprenticeship. I did it last summer. Some of the ppl in my class had zero aviation experience. Basically, we had an instructor from Jeppesen train us for seven weeks, at our Training facility near the airport, in order to pass the FAA written ADX and Oral and Practical Exams. The best thing is you'll be a guaranteed a job with Republic if you pass both exams. The training's extremely intense. But after 1 year of employment (which is the bare minimum experience required by most major airlines) you'll owe Republic $2000 of the original $4000 (2-year contract). But if you get hired by a major, that 2 grand will be well worth it!

Well TBH, I'm already a candidate there! I made it all the way thru the interview with Dispatch and HR and now its just line up and wait LOL I read about their program and I really like the sound of it. But of course I'm also thinking of plan B, if I have to go to a school on my own. I think that the nearest schools to where I live would be either Jeppesen in Denver or IFOD in Dallas. There's one in St. George but it looks like they are virtual which I'm not a fan of. So if I did have to go it on my own, that's why I was thinking about the timing and experience which would not be an issue with Republic. I really hope I get it. 🤞🤞

There's no mandatory retirement age with Dispatchers like there is with pilots, is there?

I don't think you'll have a hard time finding a job. I did a career change too and finished up my class this june. Took me a month to get hired.

I don't think you'll have a hard time finding a job. I did a career change too and finished up my class this june. Took me a month to get hired.
PSA has a $100k "signing bonus" going. Which is niiice. Just move the gear lever and flaps lever, and then press the right buttons in the right order at the right times and 10 years from now you'll have earned an extra $10K a year (less bonus taxes, which are very different than income taxes). 🤣

Piedmont has a similar type of apprentice program where they pay for the training. Are they a good choice to start out?

Piedmont has a similar type of apprentice program where they pay for the training. Are they a good choice to start out?
I love piedmont but they have made it harder and harder to refer them. If you’re already in that area and this would be the only way financially you can get in to this industry, it’s a decent deal. If you’re looking to go to AA and/ or can afford to take the class yourself, I would say it’s not the best avenue to take in attempts to get there. Salisbury is an acquired taste and COL is on the higher side. If you’re looking to commute, get comfortable with the drive to PHL or BWI. (Pay the toll for the toll road to PHL, yes it is worth it) The short runway and poor performance out of Salisbury often leaves many revenue pax behind when CLT requires an alternate. Depending on when you start, it may be very hard to find a place to live. Salisbury being a college town, a lot of the rentals revolve around the college schedule. Don’t come in with an attitude and you will learn a lot from the more senior folks that love what they do. Lots of good people at Piedmont.

I love piedmont but they have made it harder and harder to refer them. If you’re already in that area and this would be the only way financially you can get in to this industry, it’s a decent deal. If you’re looking to go to AA and/ or can afford to take the class yourself, I would say it’s not the best avenue to take in attempts to get there. Salisbury is an acquired taste and COL is on the higher side. If you’re looking to commute, get comfortable with the drive to PHL or BWI. (Pay the toll for the toll road to PHL, yes it is worth it) The short runway and poor performance out of Salisbury often leaves many revenue pax behind when CLT requires an alternate. Depending on when you start, it may be very hard to find a place to live. Salisbury being a college town, a lot of the rentals revolve around the college schedule. Don’t come in with an attitude and you will learn a lot from the more senior folks that love what they do. Lots of good people at Piedmont.
I see that! Apartment rentals cost more than my apartment here in Phoenix, which I thought was overpriced when I came here! Renting a place in a town of 30,000 costs more than in a city of 1 million+! Wow. That's crazy. I think I might be better off taking the class on my own. If I was able to get a job at Mesa after getting licensed then I wouldn't have to move, but I'd consider anything that was good. Mesa's pay seems a bit on the low side.

Does anyone have other thoughts on schools Jeppesen, IFOD, or ADTC? Any tips on getting discounted lodging for the 5 weeks? Also I don't know if I should pay for it myself or get a career training student loan.

I see that! Apartment rentals cost more than my apartment here in Phoenix, which I thought was overpriced when I came here! Renting a place in a town of 30,000 costs more than in a city of 1 million+! Wow. That's crazy. I think I might be better off taking the class on my own. If I was able to get a job at Mesa after getting licensed then I wouldn't have to move, but I'd consider anything that was good. Mesa's pay seems a bit on the low side.

Does anyone have other thoughts on schools Jeppesen, IFOD, or ADTC? Any tips on getting discounted lodging for the 5 weeks? Also I don't know if I should pay for it myself or get a career training student loan.
Flamingo Academy has an online course with 6 days in person before your sign off. Probably the most cost effective. The FAA certificate looks the same as all the others.

I went to Jeppesen, and got a good deal at an Airbnb that offered a month+ discount. Jeppesen was close enough I was able to bring my car there though, which greatly expanded options where I was able to stay.

I am considering two schools. Both are in Dallas. Does anyone have any thoughts on which one is a better choice and/or would I be more successful in landing a job with either one? IFOD vs Aircraft Dispatch Training Center. Comparing apples to apples - the same 5 week course at both schools. One of them has an earlier class opening vs the other I'd have to wait longer for the next class.

Back