Jumpseat question

The last time I jumped on Alaska, one of their FO's was waiting at the gate to deadhead on the same flight. The gate agent gave me a seat and a real ticket. The FO said that they specifically don't want you to check in with the captain. Sounded hokey to me, but I didn't check in with the captain and still made it to Seattle.

Unless the gate agent tells the captain that there is a jumpseater in the back, how would he know?
I think it may be a cultural thing due to not wanting to deal with every single 207 driver looking for a ride back from the bush queuing up at the cockpit door out in Nome. Which is a moot point anyway since most of those 135 JS agreements disappeared at the end of August (or maybe July?)

Maybe it was the other FO leaving and the non revver didn't realize? What if his wife just left him because he's never home and he didn't feel like socializing? Or maybe his dog just died.

Either way harsh. Maybe an etiquette reminder? But whatever. It's your plane.

I always did feel uncomfortable sitting in 1st class with my uniform on. Especially after the 4th or 5th drink.

obligatory "JOKING"
ad1d28518ea2a6994d8c0e63f2d4ecce.jpg
JK, I'm with you on this one.

Jumpseating, even with a seat in the back, always politely ask for a ride and say thanks. Deadheading/positive space, I at least say hi so the crew knows that I'm there. I've been dismissed before, but would rather unnecessarily check in than potentially offend if there is a miscommunication that I'm positive space. And always always always briefly say hello to the FAs on the way to my seat. It's their world, I'm just livin' in it....acknowledging that usually makes for a more comfortable ride and friendlier service.

It's not my ship but FWIW, I cast stern sideways glances at those who catch my eye who have not said hello.

Last edited:
Even when I got a seat in the back on Hawaiian I still checked in with the CA up front. It's always better to be safe and follow procedure, than sorry...

Controllers are always welcome and encouraged to join us up front. We learn as much from you as you learn from us. :)
Cool, I am excited to give it a whirl. I know Fedex is on the FDT program and I've been toying around with the possibility of a ride on the awesome DC-10, those boys climb out of MSP like a friggin rocket ship..It is my favorite part of being on break in the morning after my first training session. I'd also love to set up a ride with one of the pilots on here, that would be really cool. I may just take my first trip on Sun Country with my friend who is a FO for them.

if you WANT to J/S on a tprop, you're more than welcome but you really have to pick a good route where we won't be weight restricted.

Cool, I am excited to give it a whirl. I know Fedex is on the FDT program and I've been toying around with the possibility of a ride on the awesome DC-10, those boys climb out of MSP like a friggin rocket ship..It is my favorite part of being on break in the morning after my first training session. I'd also love to set up a ride with one of the pilots on here, that would be really cool. I may just take my first trip on Sun Country with my friend who is a FO for them.

I controller I talked with on a tower visit a few months ago said he scored a jumpseat on a FedEx 727 before they were all retired. It's definitely doable.

Great point. I will likely be making a phone call tomorrow to a pilot I met on my jumpseat to offer her a job at my airline.

I made that call today. It's so awesome telling someone that they got the job! She was just starting a trip with her regional airline. I think the news she got from me today will make her trip go a little easier. This is a classic case of networking, networking, networking. She did it, and today she has a new job with a major carrier.

Are you non revving or jumpseating?
Jumpseating.
Flew back to TPA yesterday, I stuck my head in and introduced myself. Crew was great.

But another strange thing happened when I listed at the gate.
I work for TSA, a united express carrier. I was flying United. My priority was lower than all other SA travelers (including buddy passes).
Had I created a reservation via employee res I would have had a priority near the top of the list.

This sound right? Do I have a higher priory with a non rev listing vs jumpseat listing?

Jumpseating.
Flew back to TPA yesterday, I stuck my head in and introduced myself. Crew was great.

I work for TSA, a united express carrier. I was flying United. My priority was lower than all other SA travelers (including buddy passes).
Had I created a reservation via employee res I would have had a priority near the top of the list.

This sound right? Do I have a higher priory with a non rev listing vs jumpseat listing?
Yes, that's the way it works.

Jumpseating.

Yes . jump seaters are Always last.

I never bother doing the nonrev way if it's full because Ill take the jump to make sure someone who cannot, can still get on the plane.

Jumpseating.

Yes.

A lot of info can be learned on the ALPA jumpseat website. It has procedures for the majority of carriers and also has a form to contact your REP should you feel you got bumped from a flight incorrectly. Don't argue at the gate you won't win and just make everyone look bad, especially your carrier. Just note the names and reason and contact your rep and let the reps handle it.

ALPA has been trying to take back the jumpseat and sadly some airlines have tried to give that authority that to the gate agents via CASS. Both have made errors. The PIC per 121.547 is the FINAL AUTHORITY and is ultimately responsible for that flight.period.

(1) Pilot-in-Command control over flight deck access and use of the jumpseat is not abrogated or undermined in any manner or under any circumstances,
(2) flight deck jumpseats are made available to all individuals authorized to use them, in accordance with PIC approval and federal requirements, and
(3) appropriate procedures, equipment, and training are used to protect the safety and security of the flight deck and jumpseat.

Really, a Capt pulled off a jumpseater who was riding in the back just because he didn't say hi? I would have been quite upset had that happened to me. And I can't think of why you would be REQUIRED to check in if you were in uniform if you were a paying customer. Screw that, I will take my seat with the sheeple and be asleep before the door closes. I no longer have jump seating privileges, but I am fairly certain that I didn't check in a few times when I did. And I KNOW that if I had a ticket I didn't check in.

As a Jumpseater you are a guest of the Captain and as such you are ultimately riding solely at his discretion. You are asking him for a ride. Just because the airlines and pilot groups have put some structure into who should get priority for the jumpseat does not mean that you are any less a GUEST OF THE CAPTAIN. Personally it's a bit insulting if somebody who is my guest feels so entitled that they don't need to at least meet me before I agree to take them.

I know often times if you aren't riding up front the gate agent will transfer you to the standby list and print out a pass for you (easier for them), but even if they do that I would always go up front and ask.

I heard a story a while back about a guy who got caught up in the chaos that is modern airline boarding and forgot to check in. You had better bet darn sure, though, that he was the last person off the plane and apologized profusely to the crew before leaving. He is lucky the crew he was flying with was cool about it if you ask me.

Non-revving, I always poke my head up front, just as a courtesy. I always say hi to the flight attendants and let them know that if they need help with ANYTHING that I am always glad to lend a hand.

Paying Customer, I always say hi and smile to everybody I see on the crew. If they have half a second I will ask them how their trip is going.

@Derg can do that now.. HAHAHAHAHHAHA. I would make sure you show up hat in hand, with coffee and cookies if he is working the flight. Drunk with power, he is. :)
What is it with DAL guys jumpseating on Delta COnnection aircraft? 99% of the time they say they are riding the jumpseat, rather than asking!

I've only done one trip and it was on FedEx. They were pretty easy and they let you reserve it 24 hours in advance rather than showing up hoping for space. Obviously, you'll still need to ask for permission from the captain, etc... Needless to say, all of the crews were very welcoming. One even ended up giving me a ride to the terminal in his personal vehicle when he saw me call for a cab to get to the rental car counter.

I've got one coming up next week (not on FedEx). I've been trying to make sure I've got all my I's dotted and T's crossed so this thread has been of particular interest as we're obviously not completely familiar with all of the procedures that pilots are accustomed to.

Back