Jumpseat question

I've only done one trip and it was on FedEx. They were pretty easy and they let you reserve it 24 hours in advance rather than showing up hoping for space. Obviously, you'll still need to ask for permission from the captain, etc... Needless to say, all of the crews were very welcoming. One even ended up giving me a ride to the terminal in his personal vehicle when he saw me call for a cab to get to the rental car counter.

I've got one coming up next week (not on FedEx). I've been trying to make sure I've got all my I's dotted and T's crossed so this thread has been of particular interest as we're obviously not completely familiar with all of the procedures that pilots are accustomed to.
Once you reach the gate agent, all is well. TSA is the issue. Pass them and the gate agents will fix you up (just be nice, most of them are high strung from dealing with • pax all day)

After they let you in just go to the captain, beg and you're set.

I've only done one trip and it was on FedEx. They were pretty easy and they let you reserve it 24 hours in advance rather than showing up hoping for space. Obviously, you'll still need to ask for permission from the captain, etc... Needless to say, all of the crews were very welcoming. One even ended up giving me a ride to the terminal in his personal vehicle when he saw me call for a cab to get to the rental car counter.

I've got one coming up next week (not on FedEx). I've been trying to make sure I've got all my I's dotted and T's crossed so this thread has been of particular interest as we're obviously not completely familiar with all of the procedures that pilots are accustomed to.
Stupid question: where can you find the schedules of cargo guys like FedEx?

How do you Captains feel about us Flight Dispatchers j/s, especially the regional guys? Not the etiquette talking the PIC part I get that and then some from reading this thread lol. More so how are we viewed?

I guess I shouldn't say us guys considering I don't have a dispatch license yet... more so speaking for the future hopefully lol.

How do you Captains feel about us Flight Dispatchers j/s, especially the regional guys? Not the etiquette talking the PIC part I get that and then some from reading this thread lol. More so how are we viewed?

I never had a problem with it. Always good for y'all to get perspective from out here. Considering how man dispatchers are in the system. I'm always surprised we don't get more.

Personally it's a bit insulting if somebody who is my guest feels so entitled that they don't need to at least meet me before I agree to take them.

He is lucky the crew he was flying with was cool about it if you ask me.

Paying Customer, I always say hi and smile to everybody I see on the crew. If they have half a second I will ask them how their trip is going.

I think you need to lighten up. There are enough jerks in the business without you becoming one too.

If you are going to smooze someone, smooze the gate agent. If you want to talk about being "insulted," I can't tell you how many times my gate agent wife brought down the final paperwork to the crew only to find the jumpseater passing out goodies to the FA's when it was her that got them the decent seat in the back in the first place.

Call me old school, I don't feel insulted if someone doesn't ask for a ride or acts like he/she owns the cockpit. It is down right ticks me off. It sets a bad tone, is bad etiquette, and may get one removed from the flight.

Too many of the kids today forget jumpseating is courtesy and privilege and we need to treat it as such. It is NOT a right. Also don't give the PIC flak, roll eyes, etc when he/she asks for your credentials and/or questions. They are just exercising their PIC authority and also following the guidance from ALPA and 121.547.

It could only take one screw up to get the system shutdown again by the TSA.

My experience as a non flightcrew member:

When traveling as a non-rev (not through JS program) I'd still pop my head in and "ask" for a ride. The crew would always be blown away that I would ask. I did a fair amount of commuting between BOS and LAX (Virgin and Jetblue A LOT) so I eventually got to know crews working those flights. It has saved me MULTIPLE times. So much so that I listed for a flight late on Jetblue and was running late to the flight, only to find the Capt. hanging out in front of the jetway WAITING for me. He saved me the hassle of taking the later flight to JFK and connecting to BOS all because I took some time to say hi. Oh yeah, and I'd always bring giant sized bars of chocolate too!

I know there may be some that will jump all over for me for being geeky, but I wanted to make sure that everyone I encountered knew I understood non-revving was a privilege.

I know there may be some that will jump all over for me for being geeky, but I wanted to make sure that everyone I encountered knew I understood non-revving was a privilege.

Nothing wrong doing what you did, but just to clarify, why non revving is a privilege, it falls under employment privileges and not negotiated jumpseat arrangements. A non rev does not ride at the captain's courtesy. While I suppose a captain could deny boarding to one, they'd need a really good reason to do so and not get in trouble with their company. A jumpseat denial, although potentially problematic to the agreement requires no justification to the company.

I think you need to lighten up. There are enough jerks in the business without you becoming one too.

If you are going to smooze someone, smooze the gate agent. If you want to talk about being "insulted," I can't tell you how many times my gate agent wife brought down the final paperwork to the crew only to find the jumpseater passing out goodies to the FA's when it was her that got them the decent seat in the back in the first place.

I've seen it from both ends. I was a gate agent before I moved to the front office. I can't tell you the number of times I've been the recipient of those treats, because most jumpseaters are awesome and understand what jumpseating is. Even as a gate agent I always did my best to connect the jumpseaters with the crew and let them introduce themselves and would always make sure the crew knew somebody was trying to get on. As a crew member I always made sure to ask the gate agent if anybody was trying to get on and made myself available at the gate to have guys check in with me.

See below for a great description of my thoughts on this:

Call me old school, I don't feel insulted if someone doesn't ask for a ride or acts like he/she owns the cockpit. It is down right ticks me off. It sets a bad tone, is bad etiquette, and may get one removed from the flight.

Too many of the kids today forget jumpseating is courtesy and privilege and we need to treat it as such. It is NOT a right. Also don't give the PIC flak, roll eyes, etc when he/she asks for your credentials and/or questions. They are just exercising their PIC authority and also following the guidance from ALPA and 121.547.

It could only take one screw up to get the system shutdown again by the TSA.

Nothing wrong doing what you did, but just to clarify, why non revving is a privilege, it falls under employment privileges and not negotiated jumpseat arrangements. A non rev does not ride at the captain's courtesy. While I suppose a captain could deny boarding to one, they'd need a really good reason to do so and not get in trouble with their company. A jumpseat denial, although potentially problematic to the agreement requires no justification to the company.

Learn something new every time! Thanks! :)

Back