Jumpseat question

Here is an easy way to determine if you need to check in. If you are traveling on some kind of pass - ID 90, Company travel benefits or any kind of a pass, you DO NOT have to check with the captain. If you are using a jumpseat request to board the aircraft, even if you have been assigned a seat in the back, you DO need to check in up front. "Good morning captain, my name is Jeff and I'm with ABC airlines... Can I talk you out of a ride home today? .... The agent assigned me a seat in the back if that's OK?" Have your ID, license and medical handy if he or she wants to see it.

The concept here is not where you sit, it's the method you use to obtain a seat. If you filled out a jumpseat request to gain access to the aircraft, you need to check in up front regardless of where you sit. DO NOT go by what the gate agent says....

Not every captain would take issue with you going to the back without checking in, but plenty would, including me. It's also a courtesy and an opportunity to express your appreciation for your ride home. I always do it, always have and always will.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that a captain on a 1900 deserves any less courtesy than a 747 captain. Be humble, be friendly and err on the side of always having a face to face with the captain. Your commuting life will be easier for your efforts.

So far I've gotten a seat in the back every time. I've just stopped by and just say "Howdy! Just wanted to say thanks for the ride."

Is that presumptuous / rude of me?

(I would be jumpseating today, but I can't find my company ID. >.<; I'm flying on a paid ticket and having a new ID overnighted to me in the bay area... sigh. On the bright side, I do get to sleep in SeaTac overnight!)

-Fox

So far I've gotten a seat in the back every time. I've just stopped by and just say "Howdy! Just wanted to say thanks for the ride."

Is that presumptuous / rude of me?

(I would be jumpseating today, but I can't find my company ID. >.<; I'm flying on a paid ticket and having a new ID overnighted to me in the bay area... sigh. On the bright side, I do get to sleep in SeaTac overnight!)

-Fox
I've probably sat up front like 15% of the time

I should start logging second officer time

Speaking of Jump seating, any of you fellas have any controllers ride with you with the introduction of the "Flight deck training program"? I think its time I utilize this experience.

Speaking of Jump seating, any of you fellas have any controllers ride with you with the introduction of the "Flight deck training program"? I think its time I utilize this experience.

Controllers are always welcome and encouraged to join us up front. We learn as much from you as you learn from us. :)

The last time I jumped on Alaska, one of their FO's was waiting at the gate to deadhead on the same flight. The gate agent gave me a seat and a real ticket. The FO said that they specifically don't want you to check in with the captain. Sounded hokey to me, but I didn't check in with the captain and still made it to Seattle.

Unless the gate agent tells the captain that there is a jumpseater in the back, how would he know?

The last time I jumped on Alaska, one of their FO's was waiting at the gate to deadhead on the same flight. The gate agent gave me a seat and a real ticket. The FO said that they specifically don't want you to check in with the captain. Sounded hokey to me, but I didn't check in with the captain and still made it to Seattle.

Unless the gate agent tells the captain that there is a jumpseater in the back, how would he know?

At my company it's the same. The FOM states, "Passenger seats are assigned by Airports Crewmembers and therefore non-revenue passengers (both Jumpseat and pass riders) are not required to check in with the captain unless directed to by an Airports Crewmember (FFDO or credential re-check)."

So often we have no way of knowing of there's a jumpseater on board unless they just happen to stop in.

He or she might not, but as the gate agent closes the door, they might mention it - "We had a jumpseater, but I got him a seat in the back" is commonly heard. I always check the loads and will see a jumpseater listed and I usually ask the gate agent if we have any jumpseaters so I can make room up front for his/ her stuff. They won't always know, but there's a good chance that they will.

There's another good reason for the captain knowing you're onboard. I had an incident many years ago where one of my FOs got very ill and had to leave the flight deck for a prolonged period of time. I knew there was a regional airline captain in the back because he said "Hi" on the way in. I asked him to come upfront and help resolve my missing FO issue. I'll save the details but knowing he was there and having met him face to face, ultimately saved the day for me and turned a potentially bad situation into something quite manageable.

Just to piggy back off of @Ozelot I've got a FAM in the works FINALLY. My primaries and alternates are everything from regionals to majors to LCC's. I know I started a thread about this. Everything I've heard from my coworkers has been super positive. My only question is how to know when I'm not interrupting the crew before introducing myself.

Just to piggy back off of @Ozelot I've got a FAM in the works FINALLY. My primaries and alternates are everything from regionals to majors to LCC's. I know I started a thread about this. Everything I've heard from my coworkers has been super positive. My only question is how to know when I'm not interrupting the crew before introducing myself.

If you see us running a checklist or briefing, just give us a second to complete that. But if you knock afterwards that's generally no bother.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that a captain on a 1900 deserves any less courtesy than a 747 captain. Be humble, be friendly and err on the side of always having a face to face with the captain. Your commuting life will be easier for your efforts.

It also could be a good networking opportunity, you never know where the conversation might go.

I'm brand new to part 121, but I did a lot of research on etiquette and stuff on the ALPA website, each carrier seems to be a little different. There's a good app called jumpseater that's worth getting too. Always best to assume you should talk to the captain no matter what, and not just tromp onto the airplane and take a seat. It's a tremendous privilege, and it's best to remember that it's just that, a privilege, not a right.

What Philosopher Pilot said. It's also prudent to introduce yourself to the lead FA and ask if you can stick your head up front. Usually, they will check with the crew for you and that will solve your concern. If a FA is not available, just stand in the flight deck doorway and create "a presence." Once the checklists are done and things seem a bit quiet, just say "Excuse me gentlemen, may I come up and introduce myself?"

No big trick to it, just try not to interrupt checklists....

I usually try to be one of the last people on the plane regardless of boarding zone if they clear standbys/jumpseaters early, just so I can say hi and not interrupt the boarding process and /or checklists.

And one never said hi and then told me that my FO told him to just go sit in the back and he was all set, which never happened because my FO still hadn't gotten to the plane yet.

Maybe it was the other FO leaving and the non revver didn't realize? What if his wife just left him because he's never home and he didn't feel like socializing? Or maybe his dog just died.

Either way harsh. Maybe an etiquette reminder? But whatever. It's your plane.

I always did feel uncomfortable sitting in 1st class with my uniform on. Especially after the 4th or 5th drink.

obligatory "JOKING"

Last edited:
Back