Job Fairs?

I think that's the point a lot of people have been unsuccessfully trying to communicate
Pretty much what I gathered from his thought process was that if you're a white male you do not agree with any of those organizations. Every single white male uses those organizations to advance their careers, under his argument.

Mind boggling

Here’s a tip, join organizations because you support their missions, not just to advance your own self interests. Just a thought.

I think his point is that 90% of the white guys joining and and going to those career fairs aren’t doing it to support the mission, but rather to only get something for themselves, and then they drop the organization like a hot potato as soon as they get the job they’re after.

You can't force people's "motives" to fit whatever the status quo of the moment is- it's as effective as making a rule that "if you don't believe in this organizations core statements, don't come to the job fair." What cuts through this is how each individual's candidate tells a story through their application, resume. "So, tell me about your involvement in X group?"

When, a few years back NGPA was inundated (and @Derg remembers- was it a 14 hour day?) with guests at the industry expo. 6 hour waits to see recruiters, us volunteers scrambling to keep people refreshed, organized, etc. They decided to have the expo on one day, plus a "morning session" (or separate day) for NGPA members (the full, yearly membership) only, to give some sort of priority. Anyone could become a member and join in that "priority day" but again- over two days- the recruiters still saw hundreds of people, and you still need to have a "narrative" of your career/life in order to make a hit with them.

Pretty much what I gathered from his thought process was that if you're a white male you do not agree with any of those organizations. Every single white male uses those organizations to advance their careers, under his argument.

Mind boggling

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Most of them are only there to get a job, not to support the cause.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Most of them are only there to get a job, not to support the cause.

At best, what sometimes ends up happening- people come to the job fair "only to get a job" as you say, and end up changing their own personal views after meeting, networking with people that are different and being educated on their struggle/history in the industry. They leave with a positive experience (and hopefully soon, an interview offer!). At worst, they've helped monetarily support that organization.

0A175528-A163-4085-B6DD-123CEE6E2E70.jpeg

Hmmmmm yea that doesn't sound at all like what you said.

I'm sorry, in the future, I will send all my posts to you, so we can have a lengthy discussion about grammar, intent, and spelling.

Or, you could ask "what do you mean by that".

Some people understood what I was getting at. Others assumed I was on some kind of _____'ist rant.

Are you going to sit there and honestly try and tell me that the large majority of people at these job fairs have done more for them other than pay the fee to get in and talk to recruiters to get a job? Most of them pay the fee, walk in to see a recruiter, walk out and never look back. Then, they get to check a box on the next app that says "I helped support (insert organization here)". Did they really, or did they just pay $400 to talk to some recruiters?

Lemme do you like I do the occasional copilot that doesn't like my answer about something non-operational/non-safety related:

"Noted… moooooving forward…"

I'm sorry, in the future, I will send all my posts to you, so we can have a lengthy discussion about grammar, intent, and spelling.

Or, you could ask "what do you mean by that".

Some people understood what I was getting at. Others assumed I was on some kind of _____'ist rant.

Are you going to sit there and honestly try and tell me that the large majority of people at these job fairs have done more for them other than pay the fee to get in and talk to recruiters to get a job? Most of them pay the fee, walk in to see a recruiter, walk out and never look back. Then, they get to check a box on the next app that says "I helped support (insert organization here)". Did they really, or did they just pay $400 to talk to some recruiters?
Annnnd we're back.

Maybe just work on your delivery, that's all i'm saying.

If you're not black, gay, or a woman, you don't belong at OBAP, NGPA or WIA job fairs, IMO.

There is no white heterosexual male foundation that hosts job fairs. When that happens, you will see discrimination suits fly so quickly it will make your head spin. There is a necessary irony at play here. WAI could not put on the job fair that they do, without their largest demographic, which is WHITE STRAIT MALES.

Continue to rest on the moral idea that because you are a white male, you don't belong, and keep watching other white males getting hired for playing the game.

People with minimal schedule flexibility get hosed with Career Fairs. I have lost money because I am unable to attend unless I call in sick (frowned upon). Unfortunately my schedule is released late in the month so I am unable to get a refund once I know I can't go. Haven't tried in a couple years as a result. May as well just burn $200-300.

I was lucky to get time off (harder than getting the invite) for the Delta Career Expo. I was one seniority number away from not getting the day off. Delta did a great job with their career fair. Far less risk for people with minimal seniority / flexibility. Not to mention it was very structured and informative.

I still feel like I am blowing smoke up people's butts when it comes to all of this. I literally have no idea where the information they want starts and when it becomes too much. I usually don't have questions for recruiters because I have spent way too much time finding the answers already.

I took a long break from JC and chasing my career. I must say, the stress removal was fantastic and greatly needed.

Even after me ranting when I had darker, less grey hair and a lot more of it back in the 1990's, people haven't cracked the code on "networking".

Want to be a pilot? Go where the pilots are, shake hands, make new friends. Magic.

horse, water, ahh fug it....

Back