Job Fairs?

Agree to disagree on that. And not because of anything to do with getting a job. But thats ok! To each their own.
Yeah also going to have to disagree. Those organizations exist not to "get me, a black man/woman/homosexual, a job," but to improve the conditions of all of those people.

As a white, straight male, I've been seriously considering joining WAI and not for job fairs but because I want to support the cause.

No, see what @jweldon said. If you want to be a member of any of those organizations, then yes. But I'd reason to bet that better than 90% of them don't give a damn about what they stand for, and are "just using their services".
You mean you assume.

The post says "IMO".

Well, your opinion is misguided and incorrect.

Yes a vast majority of the people in line during OBAP/WAI/NGPA aren't black, women or gay, it would be disingenuous for organizations that are striving for inclusion exclude anyone and would actually have the opposite effect.

If was looking for a job, I'd certainly go to NGPA or WAI because I want to learn about their specific challenges and they're more than happy to talk about them.

Well, your opinion is misguided and incorrect.

Yes a vast majority of the people in line during OBAP/WAI/NGPA aren't black, women or gay, it would be disingenuous for organizations that are striving for inclusion exclude anyone and would actually have the opposite effect.

If was looking for a job, I'd certainly go to NGPA or WAI because I want to learn about their specific challenges and they're more than happy to talk about them.

You would, most wouldn't, but show up under the guise that they actually care.

You would, most wouldn't, but show up under the guise that they actually care.

That's pretty much how the world works.

You see a couple at the movies, they're probably both there to watch a movie, or one is just going along in order to get laid later or they both are, I don't know, technically hiding out from pursuing police, but they're all welcome to buy a bucket of popcorn and enjoy the film.

I don't think "bitter" is a winning career strategy.

If you're not black, gay, or a woman, you don't belong at OBAP, NGPA or WIA job fairs, IMO.

Those that hold said opinion have a much more difficult time getting an interview. This is not a place to waft around and not play all the cards you have. Those who play it that way get left behind... and it is a seniority driven industry. Those who have made it played it hard, and they understand.

I'm amazed at how many people complain to me Delta/United/American won't hire them, and then on day 2-3 of the trip tell me they have no apps out.

Wut.

o_O

All the time.

When I was leaving Skyway, there were a couple guys that lost their cool and bitched about it. I asked them how long they've been on file and heard various things from "I am payin' $50 to apply for no job" to "no degree, BUT WHY DOES THAT MATTER?!"

Or my friends favorite: "I don't know why your airline hasn't called" followed by some sort of idotic statement he certainly wouldn't make in mixed company. Then he'll offer to take an unofficial look at his application and he's run over a school bus full of kids, twice, failed every checkride and it was written in language as clear as a heavy lead curtain.

Back