Considering leaving the profession for good, could use advice

I hate Skywest with a passion and will drop a huge deuce on their grave if they ever disappear, but ASA was the same deal in terms of sick calls. They were better with fatigue though, which I’d argue is more fitting to OPs situation. If all the captains are tired and called in fatigued with the appropriate reports, maybe there might be an effort to fix things. Or at least data for when someone has an incident.

Why the SKY hate? Is it only because they are non-union?

We DH on them a lot and it seems to be a very pleasant experience with friendly crews.

Why the SKY hate? Is it only because they are non-union?

We DH on them a lot and it seems to be a very pleasant experience with friendly crews.

I think because he was ASA, and what happened to them after they were acquired by SkyWest. When I was at C5 there were a lot of ExpressJet and ASA refugees there, and my sim partner on the Dash 8 was a Horizon refugee, and they understandably had a good deal of animosity toward SkyWest. Honestly it's hard not to have this animosity if you work at any non-SkyWest regional, considering how many regionals have been Comaired and replaced with SkyWest, so that fate can seem inevitable at the regionals.

In the scenario you outlined, one needs the resources to fight a protracted action against one's employer. One doesn't always have the resources to do that even with justice/payoff down the line.
Maybe. But I would imagine there are plenty of labor attorneys out there that would take on a rather “slam-dunk” case for little to no money up front, and bake their compensation into the award. Then, the individual would have to find a way to make ends meet during the process, which might be difficult, but rarely impossible. I don’t think it would take that long (based on my observation of a few similar cases). Companies seem to want to take care of these rather quickly and quietly.

Plus, I seriously doubt it would be necessary to take it “all the way” in the first place.

Not the best scenario. Certainly not one I’d want to live out. But it still beats the hell outta wrecking a plane or your life.

More than anything, I was positing this as a counter to the threat of “we’re gonna fire you” for making a safety-based decision.

I think because he was ASA, and what happened to them after they were acquired by SkyWest. When I was at C5 there were a lot of ExpressJet and ASA refugees there, and my sim partner on the Dash 8 was a Horizon refugee, and they understandably had a good deal of animosity toward SkyWest. Honestly it's hard not to have this animosity if you work at any non-SkyWest regional, considering how many regionals have been Comaired and replaced with SkyWest, so that fate can seem inevitable at the regionals.

Yup. They ride the coat tails of the hard work that real unions do and become the turd in the punch bowl of the entire industry because of it.

We’d be told we were parking a plane because it wasn’t cost efficient to fly, then weeks later we’d see it in ORD operated by Skywest. At the time generally the consensus with their pilot group was “we just have a good relationship with management” when in reality they were just cheaper. I spent 8 years in the right seat at my regional. Some of that can be directly attributed to that whole situation.

Interesting parallels with this thread:

At the urging of some of my friends, I have read this thread from the start. It is currently 14 pages of advice, compassion (at times), and truth. Yes, at times it may stray off topic but for the most part you are being given sage advice, free of charge. I am old and grumpy so I will try to be succinct in my response as most of what needed to be said has been by Derg and others more prolific than me.

You are a 121 Captain. You entire job revolves around risk mitigation. You have an identified risk. Mitigate it as you would anything else. You seem intelligent, use your resources. I know this sounds like tough love but you aren't the first in this predicament and wont be the last. Generations of pilots have done this before you. You may not like the mitigation as it pertains to you but that is a you problem in the end. Again, just tough love. Don't let the medicine be worse than the problem.

There are a myriad of flying jobs. Perhaps this one just ain't for you? If it is, then you have no choice but to change your behavior and habits. Like you, I love red eye flying. I have a 0600 checkin tomorrow. I shall mitigate it by going to bed early, having a light dinner, and not using caffeine prior to bed. I will wake at 0315 to have a coffee, do my morning routine and leave at 0445 and be rested enough to fly or I would not sign the fit for duty statement. My preference for a redeye just did not come to fruition in my bid, oh well. Risk identified and mitigated. That's what I am paid to do, just like you.

As for hiring, this horse has been beaten but will never die. I and many here can give someone all the cheat codes but even then, if you aren't prepared it will show. Just like the risk mitigation above, there is a risk at interviews. Mitigate it. Some air lines (space on purpose) are picky on how the application is filled out. Have you had yours reviewed by a friend? By a professional (such as Raven Careers or similar)? If not, have you truly mitigated? Have you gone to the events described in earlier posts? Further mitigation needed perhaps?

To summarize, you have resources at your disposal to manage risk. Look at this from a technical vantage point instead of an emotional one. Identify what resources you need to use to mitigate the risk to an acceptable level. Perhaps, in the end you will find some small adjustments over time to your routine was all that was needed or perhaps you will find that 121 is not right and medevac is ( just an example). But before anything, sit down in front of a mirror and have an honest conversation with yourself on what your end goal is and work backwards from there. Take notes. Formulate a plan, resources you need and the mitigations you will take to avoid the pitfalls in your plan.

I hope this thread has been helpful. I wish you success in your goals and endeavors and if I can be a resource never hesitate to ask.

Yes, I know I used the word mitigate way to much! :cool:. Safe flying!

Interesting parallels with this thread:
I haven’t read all 14 pages so I apologize if it’s been mentioned already:

Have you looked into Medevac? The schedule might lend itself well to your sleep schedule as well as leaving time for side gigs and writing.

I haven’t read all 14 pages so I apologize if it’s been mentioned already:

Have you looked into Medevac? The schedule might lend itself well to your sleep schedule as well as leaving time for side gigs and writing.
I've had this suggestion from numerous people that I trust. I'm definitely intrigued!

Sometimes knowing that there ARE options makes one's current situation seem a bit more bearable.
There was a time where I would have been VERY happy to be a San Francisco ER7 Captain, incidentally.

One can do far worse in this business. My Dad interviewed with a local 135 for a full time PIC position and they thought they were hot stuff offering four whole guaranteed days off a month.

Last edited:
Back