Considering leaving the profession for good, could use advice

Mainline pilots:

These regionals shouldn’t exist! We should be doing these flights! One group!

Also mainline pilots:

Why am I doing a 737 trip 5 leg day to EUG, PSC, and an overnight in YKM! This is ridiculous!!!!!!
No. Only pilots who don’t understand how profit sharing works get upset about doing regional-type flying in-house. I know plenty of people who love going up and down the west coast.

No. Only pilots who don’t understand how profit sharing works get upset about doing regional-type flying in-house. I know plenty of people who love going up and down the west coast.

If I never cross the Rockies again I'll be extremely happy. All I want to do is go North South on the West Coast. I hope the merger works out and a bunch of people chase the widebody flying. Lord knows I wont.

I’m pretty sure we’re contractually limited to 4 legs. FWIW as an FNG I love those, it’s a chance to build proficiency at a rate you don’t get doing transcons.

All I see is a requirement for 30 minutes additional rest for every landing after 4 landings.

12.D.1.a

What are you seeing? Just curious, not saying you’re wrong. I’m trying to find that provision.

I’m pretty sure we’re contractually limited to 4 legs. FWIW as an FNG I love those, it’s a chance to build proficiency at a rate you don’t get doing transcons.

And pretty sure I did on day 2 of the S.E. Alaska OE trip, ANC to Juneau, and then Petersburg, Wrangell, Ketchikan, then Seattle. Although that was 2020, old contract.

God I'd love that, the only downside is it would mean less productive trips and coming to work more often. Personally I don't care if I never do another Florida transcon for the rest of my career.

If I never cross the Rockies again I'll be extremely happy. All I want to do is go North South on the West Coast. I hope the merger works out and a bunch of people chase the widebody flying. Lord knows I wont.
That’s been my mantra with diversifying the fleet all along. Choices create movement. Same thing goes for base diversity but still holding my breath on that one. Unfortunately I think PDX will be affected the least if the merger goes through.

Yeah it’s definitely tough. If that’s all you do for the month it gets old real fast.
I dunno, the only layovers I actually enjoy are on the west coast. There's nothing for me east of the Rockies (including Denver)

There was a time where I would have been VERY happy to be a San Francisco ER7 Captain, incidentally.

One can do far worse in this business. My Dad interviewed with a local 135 for a full time PIC position and they thought they were hot stuff offering four whole guaranteed days off a month.

And there was a time, when I was younger and didn't care much about having anything outside of work-eat-sleep 6hrs-repeat, that I might have been modestly ok doing this, or ideally a light version of this.

This place can be quite cyclical, depending on your seat and industry conditions. But at the moment it's straight up abusive. I'm working harder, home less, and getting less sleep month after month than during the worst crunch time I ever had in tech, and that was only a couple of months worth. This job is uniquely physically and mentally draining, and when you do it too much, it takes an outsize toll.

But *Shrug*.

EMMV. I just wish people would stop playing the "comparative misery" game. Nobody should have to live like this, IMO.

And pretty sure I did on day 2 of the S.E. Alaska OE trip, ANC to Juneau, and then Petersburg, Wrangell, Ketchikan, then Seattle. Although that was 2020, old contract.

When they pushed all the 64/65 up to ANC some of us were advocating for 5 leg days because we’d get more efficient pairings with 2 day trips instead of 3. The general rule is 4 legs, though not contractual.

To add onto this, generally the team has zero idea of gender, age or much else of a personal nature because those parts are generally redacted on the version of the application the interviewers get.
Honest question, and something that's been on my mind: When I'm getting misgendered like that in a sea of dudes with power ties and the same identical suit, how do I know I'm not being judged as a "guy" on the appearance slider and marked as a dirty, unprofessional, long-hair hippie freak?

Back