Howdy! 17 year old living his dream...

hey everyone! well passed my Written

i went up for a flight lesson this week after one and a half months of not goin up.
works been going good we are getting into the good months of flight instruction.

school will be out soon!
almost have my Volkswagen Vanagon DONE!!!

This is probably my favorite thread that is active on JC. This is probably my favorite thread ever on JC. I would love for this to be a sticky so it never goes away.

I find your enthusiasm and effort inspiring. Thank you for sharing your story here with us - we're privileged to read it.

My personal motto in life is: "Nil sine magno labore." It roughly translates to: "Nothing significant without great labor." Have fun following your dream and I'm sure we all look forward to hearing progress reports!
Studied Brooklyn College?
I like the quote from Horace
Nil sine magno vita labore dedit mortalibus. Life grants nothing to us mortals without hard work

Very cool man! I was in about the same place when I was your age, except my flight time was spread out over 3-4 years by then. My advice to you is to keep at it, and try and find a job that pays well that you like doing so you can afford to fly more often. Don't think you can't get a job that pays well above minimum wage just because of your age, airlines pay very well when you're 18 and living at home. Just something to think about.

Hows it going guys? My name is Michael Iffland I am a junior in highschool and 17 years old.

I have always had the will to fly! Becoming a pilot has been my dream since I first started talking.

I have been working very hard to achieve my dream of becoming a pilot. But I don't want to be just any pilot I dream of heading to alaska to bush fly! That has been in my sights for years.

but Being 17 and in highschool it is very hard to afford flight training I have been working since my freshman year to try and get into flight lessons. My mother has never been supportive towards my dream. She never has showed any support towards what I want todo in life in general.

My father passed away when I was 9 and he was very supportive even when I was at a young age.

but I sat down with my school counsolor my freshman year and told her what i want to do. Then got a hold of the tech school in my area and told them I would like to start a program for kids to get there pilots liscense in Highschool and he really like my Idea.

I called flight schools up and told them what I wanted to do and no one was really interested. I had one flight school lined up to start taking flight lessons with them but all they wanted was my money witch wasn't much considering I flipped burgers at mcds!! ahahaha

One day I walked into are local mall and saw advertisment about this flight school and I took a flyer and looked at it and there phone number's last 4 digits where the same exact as mine!!!! 2590 ahahahah so I was like I have to call them. I called them up and it was this women very enthustiastic about the flight school. I told her I dream of going to alaska and flying and I love doing mechanical things and I told her about what I wanted to do with the tech center and have a program started for kids to learn how to fly,she loved my Ideas. She said we would love to have you work for us! I went and met with her and her husband who run the school. from that point on I am doing what I love!!

I learn how to fly in 1947 taylorcraft!!!! handprop it to start it and I also work with there mechanic as an apprentice. So I told Mr.champion at the tech center I found a flight school who wants todo it !!! and he came down and talked with them crossed the Ts and dotted the I's.

I work at the airport cleaning the planes, refueling them, and as an apprentice with the mechanic. I do this as part of my schooling after lunch I drive to the airport and work and learn and it counts as credits.

At some point I am going to meet with the school board of the tech center. They want to meet me! might get a state funded program started!

I also help do alot of promoting of the flight school too! i have tons of fun and have met alot of awesome people.

I hope by the end of my senior year to be working towards my commercial license. My flight instructor is also the husband of the woman who runs the flight school. there a great team and the always tie in the fact I want to fly in alaska my flight training is towards that too. I do alot of grass strip landings and crosswind. We always talk about if it where in alaska it would be like this!

It is amazing after years of hard work and wondering if I would ever be able to fly It all worked out in the end! I am 13 hours in my flight trianing and going to solo soon!

Keep up the good work. The drive you have to learn in not very common for some your age. Once you get your comercial let me know, or even if you just want a different summer job, I have a lot of good contacts in the Mi area that could really help someone like you out.

I paid for my own training in high school doing the same thing as you and learned in a tail wheel. 2 things not many people do anymore.

Keep up the good work. The drive you have to learn in not very common for some your age. Once you get your comercial let me know, or even if you just want a different summer job, I have a lot of good contacts in the Mi area that could really help someone like you out.

I paid for my own training in high school doing the same thing as you and learned in a tail wheel. 2 things not many people do anymore.

that sound interesting I would love to open up some opportunities!
I will love to keep in touch with you on that... ONE thing i have realized is that you have to know people in AVIATION! If you know people then they know people that know people.

I am a little ways from getting my commercial But I would love to finda job in aviation right after I get my commercial.... I NEW SUMMER JOB ..... hmmm....
thanks for the encouragement all the support is a big boost.

SO everybody! My flight training slowed down a lot I went a month in a half without a lesson. Then flew 10 days later after that which was yesterday. It took some time getting back into the hang of things, now I'm flying twice a week.

Its a fun challenge and I really enjoy it

the flight schools going good.

this week I buffed out a fading paint job on a 1954 tripacer... its looks nice now :) the shoulders are sore and it makes it hard to grasp a can of mnt dew while working ahahaha.

its a rainy day here !

Its awesome that people like this thread! ... I will try to update as much as possible!

ANYTHING is possible if you work hard at it and devote yourself too you dreams and goals !

Thanks for reading my post ALL your feedback is uplifting !

Two things. One is make sure you get you're A&P while your at it, and working on the airplanes anyways. It'll pay dividends later, even if it's just when you finally own your own airplane.
Second... do let us know when you get that Commercial done.

SO everybody! My flight training slowed down a lot I went a month in a half without a lesson. Then flew 10 days later after that which was yesterday. It took some time getting back into the hang of things, now I'm flying twice a week.

Its a fun challenge and I really enjoy it

the flight schools going good.

this week I buffed out a fading paint job on a 1954 tripacer... its looks nice now :) the shoulders are sore and it makes it hard to grasp a can of mnt dew while working ahahaha.

its a rainy day here !

Its awesome that people like this thread! ... I will try to update as much as possible!

ANYTHING is possible if you work hard at it and devote yourself too you dreams and goals !

Thanks for reading my post ALL your feedback is uplifting !

I keep forgetting to check when i am over at ADG talking to Joe to stop in and see if your around.

Hey guys. Well lets whats been goin on.

so my flight instructor has been scheduling me more often and its an immediate benefit.
We went up last week and I was getting back into the swing of things. I announced my downwind turn and still had the mike keyed on the Radio I said "wow!!!!! that had to be the most uncoordinated turn I have ever done" My flight instructor laughed and said "the mics still on"
talk about embarrassing ahaha

Well This friday... I made a flight plan to Lansing! at about 5 in the afternoon, my class C cross country. well all was good the Briefer mentioned some bad weather and low ceiling north of LAN but I had a solid flight plan finished and off I went with my flight instructor after we reached altitude tuned too 122.2 and opened my flight plan and they said Lansing was IFR only. So I told my flight instructor if I was alone right now I would turn home. We decided to press on, I had to drop from 4500 to 3500 and then 2500, while over Mason, MI decided to turn back. So Tim (flight instructor) and I diverted to Jackson Tim liked that decision so he wanted me to get used to all the radio work. That is the whole point of this cross country. We got some food and conversed while watching JCC's planes take off and land. during are conversation we decided to head to Toledo so I didn't have to redo my flight Thanks To his IPAD and Foreflight.
It turned out a great flight and an awesome experience. Built my confidence up towards talking on the radio. tuesday I am flying to Three Rivers.

hey guys well its been a while. My flight instruction is almost done I am just getting ready for the exam and my oral.

I have a Problem!
the flight school has to let me go! because there in a bad spot money wise and financial decisions!
so I am in a hard spot right now job wise and well working on my ratings . ANY ideas? advise

I know i cant get away from aviation
but its hard to find any thing for a 18 year old senior high school student to do in aviation !
i do have experience in the field.

looks like im gonna have to look into fast food job.

advise, Ideas, criticism accepted!!

hey guys well its been a while. My flight instruction is almost done I am just getting ready for the exam and my oral.

I have a Problem!
the flight school has to let me go! because there in a bad spot money wise and financial decisions!
so I am in a hard spot right now job wise and well working on my ratings . ANY ideas? advise

I know i cant get away from aviation
but its hard to find any thing for a 18 year old senior high school student to do in aviation !
i do have experience in the field.

looks like im gonna have to look into fast food job.

advise, Ideas, criticism accepted!!

really?...I thought they were doing well...Pound the pavement around Lenawee. Try some of the factorys see if they are hiring. If not there is no shame in working fast food. Bill Gates said it best. Our Parents didnt see working at Mcdonalds as being beneath them. they saw it as an opportunity. But in all seriousness when i was going through JCC there at ADG i had to go work in a factory to finish the training so i understand your plight.

Wow, just found this. If every young pilot was like you, I wouldn't have anything left to bitch and moan about. So good for you, but don't infect the others with your work ethic and good sense, k? ;)

Seriously, though, you've got the attitude to make it in this thing, and I'm sure that other pilots will see that and help along the way. As far as work goes, it sounds like you've cultivated the right sort of relationships...have you considered detailing aircraft as a side job? I know a group of guys who seem to do really well for themselves on corporate jets, but even if you started on Tri-Pacers, etc, it could provide some cash. Just a thought, and please keep us updated.

With your experience and work ethic, I think you'd do perfect as a lineman. Print out the resume and start going to local airports and shaking hands. Washing planes, fueling planes, etc. will always be better than fast food because at least you get to watch airplanes and smell avgas at the same time. The contacts you can make working line will be very beneficial.

Even though it sucks losing a great job with great employers, this is the perfect opportunity to expand your network. If you have been lurking around here you will know that is all we talk about. Nearly all of my jobs including my present one has been from knowing someone within that company. Continue being the great person you are and opportunities will open.

If it gets difficult to find an aviation job then there is no shame in working at a fast food place to continue training and paying bills. I worked at a grocery store bagging groceries. I actually met a few pilots that way as well because I always had an aviation themed tie on while I worked.

Wow man that is a huge blessing you have had! Press on! With that determination you will go far in life. That is really great you have had that opportunity. I decided to wait until I went to college to start flying due to no money in the family and working close to home involved no airports and making not near enough money to make a dent in flight training. The way I have gone has allowed me to pursue my dreams, but I have a lot of college debt. Everybody's path and story is very unique. I would strongly suggest doing what others have said. Find a job in aviation as a line boy or something like that. It will be a great way to network and meet new people and open up to more possible opportunities to fly.

Back