Howdy! 17 year old living his dream...

iffyaviator

Hows it going guys? My name is Michael Iffland I am a junior in highschool and 17 years old.

I have always had the will to fly! Becoming a pilot has been my dream since I first started talking.

I have been working very hard to achieve my dream of becoming a pilot. But I don't want to be just any pilot I dream of heading to alaska to bush fly! That has been in my sights for years.

but Being 17 and in highschool it is very hard to afford flight training I have been working since my freshman year to try and get into flight lessons. My mother has never been supportive towards my dream. She never has showed any support towards what I want todo in life in general.

My father passed away when I was 9 and he was very supportive even when I was at a young age.

but I sat down with my school counsolor my freshman year and told her what i want to do. Then got a hold of the tech school in my area and told them I would like to start a program for kids to get there pilots liscense in Highschool and he really like my Idea.

I called flight schools up and told them what I wanted to do and no one was really interested. I had one flight school lined up to start taking flight lessons with them but all they wanted was my money witch wasn't much considering I flipped burgers at mcds!! ahahaha

One day I walked into are local mall and saw advertisment about this flight school and I took a flyer and looked at it and there phone number's last 4 digits where the same exact as mine!!!! 2590 ahahahah so I was like I have to call them. I called them up and it was this women very enthustiastic about the flight school. I told her I dream of going to alaska and flying and I love doing mechanical things and I told her about what I wanted to do with the tech center and have a program started for kids to learn how to fly,she loved my Ideas. She said we would love to have you work for us! I went and met with her and her husband who run the school. from that point on I am doing what I love!!

I learn how to fly in 1947 taylorcraft!!!! handprop it to start it and I also work with there mechanic as an apprentice. So I told Mr.champion at the tech center I found a flight school who wants todo it !!! and he came down and talked with them crossed the Ts and dotted the I's.

I work at the airport cleaning the planes, refueling them, and as an apprentice with the mechanic. I do this as part of my schooling after lunch I drive to the airport and work and learn and it counts as credits.

At some point I am going to meet with the school board of the tech center. They want to meet me! might get a state funded program started!

I also help do alot of promoting of the flight school too! i have tons of fun and have met alot of awesome people.

I hope by the end of my senior year to be working towards my commercial license. My flight instructor is also the husband of the woman who runs the flight school. there a great team and the always tie in the fact I want to fly in alaska my flight training is towards that too. I do alot of grass strip landings and crosswind. We always talk about if it where in alaska it would be like this!

It is amazing after years of hard work and wondering if I would ever be able to fly It all worked out in the end! I am 13 hours in my flight trianing and going to solo soon!

Welcome to JC! It sounds like your persistence is starting to pay off, congrats. Let us know how the first solo goes. :)

Now this ^ is an example of how it was done in the old days, and I, for one, commend you on your drive and willingness to do what it takes to achieve ypur dream. In the end, you will be a better pilot and all round person for it.

My personal motto in life is: "Nil sine magno labore." It roughly translates to: "Nothing significant without great labor." Have fun following your dream and I'm sure we all look forward to hearing progress reports!

This is indeed a great story of heading towards your dream. Enjoy the ride. The determination that comes across in this post could teach a few people on how to get it done.....

Welcome to JC !!!!

but Being 17 and in highschool it is very hard to afford flight training I have been working since my freshman year to try and get into flight lessons. My mother has never been supportive towards my dream. She never has showed any support towards what I want todo in life in general.

Don't worry - I remember my mother not being totally in love with the idea of me joining the Air Force. She was even less in love with the idea of me becoming a pilot. 15 years later, I'm still flying, and she has no problem with family members flying with me. It is more a case of not knowing much about it, than not being supportive.

Nice job. If you work this hard you can accomplish anything you put your mind too. Just remember to look around a smell the flowers. In other words work hard, study, motivate and have fun.

Wow. Sounds like you're well on your way to a great career.

Keep working hard, networking and it'll pay off in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using the power of bear stuffs

From another 17 year old pilot.

Great job! My mother hates the idea of flying, my parents can't do any supporting because of the economy and I work multiple part time jobs to get to fly. Am working on my CSEL/CFI and the moment and am currently a senior in high school. Keep pushing, you'll reach your dreams. Like others have said, enjoy the ride, be focused, but not too focused. Flying is a blast.

I have lots of fun too! the people I work for make everyday interesting! Everyday i step into work is a new challenge. In my spare time I am working on my 1984 volkswagen vanagon turbo diesel or my 1985 toyota celica supra.

I am rebuilding the engine in my Vanagon and my supra I am bringing back to life it has been sitting for like 5 years. I bought the Vanagon to drive to alaska for a sweet summer road trip!! thats kinda in the planning stages.. But with all the hard work I also have lots of fun.

If the wind is low today I am hitting the skies! for my 14th hour! flying the Taylorcraft is Awesome it is so elagant when u come in and land people stop and watch you! ahaha its not like a Cessna. Its cool cause I know that aircraft inside and out cause I also work on it too with the mechanic! you have alot more respect for your surroundings when u do maintance on the stuff you use! ahaahaha

Watching my flight instructor fly leaves me in awe and envy he handles planes with such smoothness and control its unreal!

I am just getting used to this sight its pretty amazing!

I have lots of fun too! the people I work for make everyday interesting! Everyday i step into work is a new challenge. In my spare time I am working on my 1984 volkswagen vanagon turbo diesel or my 1985 toyota celica supra.

I am rebuilding the engine in my Vanagon and my supra I am bringing back to life it has been sitting for like 5 years. I bought the Vanagon to drive to alaska for a sweet summer road trip!! thats kinda in the planning stages.. But with all the hard work I also have lots of fun.

If the wind is low today I am hitting the skies! for my 14th hour! flying the Taylorcraft is Awesome it is so elagant when u come in and land people stop and watch you! ahaha its not like a Cessna. Its cool cause I know that aircraft inside and out cause I also work on it too with the mechanic! you have alot more respect for your surroundings when u do maintance on the stuff you use! ahaahaha

Watching my flight instructor fly leaves me in awe and envy he handles planes with such smoothness and control its unreal!

I am just getting used to this sight its pretty amazing!

Road trip to Alaska? DO IT! You seem like your on the path to do some really cool things with your life. In all honesty I would love to be a fly on the wall and see how things turn out for you.

Don't throw away adventures like this to become a professional pilot you can always become a professional pilot. Then you will be like me thinking of all your adventures around the world while you sit for days in a hotel room. At least I have my memories as they keep me positive and it makes it easy to "get along with" the captains I fly with for a week in a row.

yes it is morenci mi! is that an Allegro in your picture? are flight school sky walker flying we teach light sport in the Allegro!

well small world. Tecumseh, MI born and raised. spent last two years in Raleigh, North Carolina and in Chicago, IL. training and instructing. and yeah that's an allegro in my avatar. micro-burst last year in Chicago(DPA) thing flipped over onto its back right after i drove through the area on my way to the flight school. One thing i would suggest is meet the guys that sit in the FBO and talk on Saturday mornings. they are a hoot. I've looked at skywalker about renting an airplane while back home between trips to just putts around in. seems like a good outfit.

Road trip to Alaska? DO IT! You seem like your on the path to do some really cool things with your life. In all honesty I would love to be a fly on the wall and see how things turn out for you.

Don't throw away adventures like this to become a professional pilot you can always become a professional pilot. Then you will be like me thinking of all your adventures around the world while you sit for days in a hotel room. At least I have my memories as they keep me positive and it makes it easy to "get along with" the captains I fly with for a week in a row.

Yea I bought my vanagon I have to rebuild the engine and stuff then she will be ready to go! We are either gonna do it this summer or my graduating summer me and my buddy He has a diesel rabbit and my diesel Vanagon we really want to head up there I think it would be an epic road trip!

After all thats where I would love to end up flying!

EVERYBODY!! I FLEW SOLO! 14 hours of flight time and I went up solo!

GOD!!! the feeling to achieve that is unreal! It was great i wasnt really nervous I felt very good being in the plane alone!

It started out with a couple of good landings while up with my instructor. Then this plane out of no where just entered right into downwind I just turned downwind and I had to dive down and to the left to AVIOD HITTING HIM!!! and my flight instructor was pissed!!!.. .he got on the radio and chewed him out he made no radio calls or anything! so after all that i got back in the traffic pattern and landed and my flight instructor told me to taxi back to the flight school he wanted to test the radio wasn't sure if ares where workin .. so I taxied down he hopped out and did a radio check from in the building and i told him I can hear u loud and clear! and he goes alright well i am stayin here so go on up. I was liek UMM a Umm oh ok! so I taxied off and smiling ear to ear and held short of the runway and then taxied onto it and off I went and did 3 takeoffs and landings! I didn't have any times to get all work up and nervous the way he did it I wasn't even planning on soloing. It feels great to have solo

the guy who helped me get the program started from the tech center stopped by at the same time to see how things where going He had great timing!!!! ahahahaha. he came up and congratulated me !

Awesome, congrats my friend, that is a big accomplishment! My solo was just a little under 10 years ago to the day, when I was a year older than you, in N6471M......trusty little C-152 that is still putting around last time I saw it. You will always remember today as long as you live, so I'm glad that you got to enjoy it.

As a sidenote, I don't know what your home-field is, but if uncontrolled, the other guy on downwind, strictly per FAR's, was not in the wrong either, in spite of your instructor's annoyance. No requirement to even have a radio at uncontrolled fields, though of course it sounds like he had a pretty poor visual lookout and unfortunately low SA to the traffic pattern and you. Just something to keep in mind for future flights......there are guys out there who absolutely aren't talking to anyone, and also don't see you.......and ATC sometimes doesn't see them either.

Got that first bit of valuable PIC time! Congrats! Keep at it. That kind of hard work and dedication speaks volumes about a person.

Back