How long has it taken you?

GoldenChild

So, I have been a lurker for some time now, and find myself needing some serious help!. I am considering a career change to follow my dream, and I am really torn between what path I should take. I have read so many different posts that my head is spinning... Since I am 31, I am concerned about getting my ratings in a timely fashion. Fortunately, money isn't really the issue, but then again, I don't want to piss it away if I don't have to. I have visited a few local FBO's, and talked to a few of the big schools. From what I have read here, the FBO guys say that I should be able to get through my ratings just as fast at an FBO as the bigs schools proclaim they can get me through. So my question the FBO guys is this... How long has it taken you to get to where you are in your training, or to get through, if you are done? Did you go full time, or part time? How many full-time students are there are your FBO? Advice for someone that wants to be a full-timer?? Oh, and I already have my degree.

Many thanks in advance for all your help!!

I did my ratings through CFI in 18 months basically doing it heavy part time (4 lessons a week most of the time). for a total cost of about $25K. It was a bigger 141 FBO, but not one of the BIG schools.

If you go to a local FBO and Fly full time (I'll define that as 6-7 lessons a week) you should be able to get it all done in a year or less.

I'm all about supporting the little guys, so I'm partial to the FBO route than the BIG school route.

As much as I'm a proponent of 61 FBO training. Not every school is up to the task of your need for acceleration.

You should look for a larger school that has good CFI availability. They need to have enough aircraft that if a plane or two is down, it won't impede your progress. Finally, you'll need a school that can do it all....or plan on more than one school. For example, does the school have a twin and do they do a lot of multi training? Does the school do much CFI training? Do they know how to get guys through the CFI checkride?

A friend of mine recently was very successful with a 61 type program. He did his private at a local flight school, I did his IFR, then he went to Sheble's for his Commercial, seaplane, multi ratings, and CFI....but not all at once. I think he could have easily done it all in a year and a half, had he had the time and money.

Any chance this can be moved back to the "general" section? Just not enough activity in this forum to get the answers I am looking for... :-(

I got my private in about 3 months only flying twice a week. It took almost a year to get my instrument knocked out, but that was all financial stuff that had to do with me. Right now, I'm on my way down to get my CSEL, CMEL and CFI, (and hopefully CFI-I and MEI) knocked out in a period of two months. The trick is to find a school with enough planes and CFIs that you can get on the schedule that often. Most CFIs won't have a problem flying that much if they're serious about being a CFI. The trick is finding a school with enough planes. Luckily, mine is back up with replacement planes now.

Part 141 I finished in just under a year from 0 hours to CFI, CFII, MEI. You can do the same part 61 if you find the right instructor and hit it hard.

I started my private beginning of February my senior year of high school and finished in August just in time to go down to college. I flew about 6-8 times a month. That was part 61.

It took me about a month to month and a half for my multi part 141 with the college. Once I got that I started right in to the instrument multi and am still working on that now and am over half way I'd say.

All the other ratings/certs. I get will be through the school, so hopefully I'll be done with MEI in 2 years.

The total length of time I'm looking at is ~3 years total. But since you wouldn't be doing all these extra college courses you could easily do it in a year and a half I'd say.

[ QUOTE ]
Any chance this can be moved back to the "general" section? Just not enough activity in this forum to get the answers I am looking for... :-(

[/ QUOTE ]give it a little time! you'd only posted this thread a day ago... and some of our users only come on once a week or on the weekends...

[ QUOTE ]
Part 141 I finished in just under a year from 0 hours to CFI, CFII, MEI. You can do the same part 61 if you find the right instructor and hit it hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey gt, what school did you go to? Or did you go to a 141 FBO?

[ QUOTE ]
considering a career change

[/ QUOTE ]

= Changing Careers section
grin.gif

If you're self-motivated, finding a good-sized (instructor/fleet) Part 61 school would be the way to go, you won't have to pay for mandatory ground school or needless CRM/CRJ Systems/FMS classes that your larger academies will require.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I went to Delta Connection...excellent training...except my butt still hurts!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I went to Delta Connection...excellent training...except my butt still hurts!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha...isn't that the truth!

Working full time, I went the 61 route. I started my Private in May of 02 and got my license in November 02. Went directly into my Instrument and finished in March 03. I finished up my Commercial SE in November of 03. Lately I started studying for the CFI writtens and have been flying at least once a month during the year plus hiatus from training for the CFI.

Life got in the way, job, wife, bills, travel,...etc, etc.......

Anyway, for me, I liked going the Part 61 route. It fit my schedule well. But I am not as time critical as some may be. I know of some that have gone to the academies and loved it. I just couldn't commit that kind of time.

By the way, some weeks I flew four times in a week and others once or twice. It all just depended on prior commitments.... Good luck.

I went zero time to CFI/MEI in a little over a year, all part 61. It took me just over a year to meet SkyWest mins and so the total chock to chock, if you will, was Sept 02' to March 05', zero to Regional FO position. And that was with considerable time off each summer to travel.

now here's a point of view from a less successful career change...

i've been plugging along at ratings for about 4 years having gone to both 141 and 61 schools. Unfortunately most of my choices have been poor. i've been screwed a lot and lost a lot of money in persuit of a flying job.

i started at 26ish. i got my private fairly quickly. after getting instrument & CSEL i went the pay for training/time building option because of my age. That was a bad move.

i'd recommend the CFI route instead. not a whole lot of good comes from the PFT plan in my opinion.

well, now i'm going on 31 and still working to become an instructor to build up time & experience.

what i mean to point out is that although these folks have done it quickly, sometimes there is a bit of luck in making the right choices. even though I tried flying 4 days or more a wekk, it still took years to even come close to getting these ratings. i cant control the weather and sometimes couldn't get on the schedule.

choose wisely. good luck

And for all you pro-PFTers that constantly ask for examples of how it doesn't work.....there ya go.

I'm waiting for my new glasses to come in before I take my first class medical exam. As long as I pass that, it'll be a journey of a lifetime for me and I'll take the next step and enroll into a school

I live here in Cleveland, Ohio and I have decided that I will go to American Flyers. I was talking with one of the staff and they told me that I should be able to get my CFI within a year; providing that I show up there at least 3 days per week and maybe spend a whole Sunday.

All this for about $45,000 for a 141 school sound about right?

Welcome to JC! Depending what you are looking for long term, I hope that you have looked at all the possibilities in the Cleveland area. I am not a CFI or even work for an FBO, but I can give you info on the area flight schools if you want, just PM me.

I am a 200hr SEL working on my IFR.

Once again, welcome to the board.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm waiting for my new glasses to come in before I take my first class medical exam. As long as I pass that, it'll be a journey of a lifetime for me and I'll take the next step and enroll into a school

I live here in Cleveland, Ohio and I have decided that I will go to American Flyers. I was talking with one of the staff and they told me that I should be able to get my CFI within a year; providing that I show up there at least 3 days per week and maybe spend a whole Sunday.

All this for about $45,000 for a 141 school sound about right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds high to me, and if I know Flyers it will be much higher by the time you get your last certificate.

I'd suggest doing your PVT-COM, at a decent local FBO, then do the CFI Academy at American Flyers. That should get you to the same point in about the same amount of time with quite a bit more money in your account than going 0 time -CFI with Flyers. Flyers is very, very expensive, but I'd say their CFI academy is worth it. There is just no reason to pay Flyers rates while working on the private or building time for the Commercial.

I am a graduate of the American Flyers CFI Academy and a search should find my previous postings regarding that experience.

Back