Hey Part 135, Fedex Feeder guys.

model700

gettin' there.
The more I read, the more interested I become in Part 135 ops. As a newbie, I'm in no rush to make any potential career decisions. I still have college to look forward to. (score.)

Anyways. I'll get to my inquiry:

Do y'all like what you're doing? (I hate being that naive kid who's like: "is your work fun?", so, sorry.) What's the work atmosphere like? How do your schedules look? Any info you all want to throw my way I'll gladly take. Thanks everyone.

The more I read, the more interested I become in Part 135 ops. As a newbie, I'm in no rush to make any potential career decisions. I still have college to look forward to. (score.)

Anyways. I'll get to my inquiry:

Do y'all like what you're doing? (I hate being that naive kid who's like: "is your work fun?", so, sorry.) What's the work atmosphere like? How do your schedules look? Any info you all want to throw my way I'll gladly take. Thanks everyone.

it's great. other than having boxes in the back it is nothing like dawgin it for UPS. much more airline style, pretty much just have to fly the plane.

just remember Fedex requires 2000TT to get hired at any feeder because they are Fedex's planes.

I wrote a pretty long day in the life of a fedex caravan guy a while back, but I can't find it and don't want to reproduce it. However, it is pretty nice.

I found it finally:
I work for a part 135 FedEx feeder (Baron Aviation.). My day starts at 1750 PM local time (2350Z), I untie and preflight my mighty Cessna Caravan (10min) then go inside the FBO and watch Top Gear for 30 minutes until the couriers show up with the packages. They hand me the manifest and hazmat paperwork and go to the plane and start loading. I review the paperwork, sign it and supervise their loading of the plane from inside while Top Gear finishes. I also do my W&B during this time. When it looks like they're about done I go outside, hand them one copy of the paperwork and keep the other. I glance inside the cargo compartment and make sure they tied the freight down properly, close the door and blast off. After a 1.0 block flight (flown mostly on autopilot, direct from the 530W, and using satellite weather and radar to avoid any thunderstorms) I land in Lubbock, tie my airplane down and walk away. I hand my copy of the manifest to the FedEx people in Lubbock. I call my company and give them the times I entered in the airplane logbook and any invoice numbers if I purchased fuel, oil or services that day. I get in a company provided car and drive to a company provided apartment. I get in my room at about 0210Z and have a showtime of 1030Z, so most of the time I do not have enough time to go off duty overnight, but I do get an average of 7 hours of sleep anyway while "on duty." When I get to the airport in the morning I have a cup of coffee and wait for the Airbus to get there from Memphis. It is due to arrive at 1030Z every day, and lately it has been on time but during winter or other weird situations we have waited quite a while for it. The freight for my plane arrives pre-sorted mostly in it's own AKE can(s) right off the airbus. However I am the third caravan to be loaded in the morning so there is plenty of time to BS with the other feeder pilots in the lounge. About after 15-20 minutes after I hear the jet come in I walk out to my plane and untie it and open the cargo door for the belt loader if they haven't already done that for me. I supervise the loading of the plane, sign the paperwork and am marshaled out of the FedEx ramp about 1135Z for an arrival time back home of about 1235Z, after I pull in the FedEx couriers are usually waiting for me. I tie the airplane back down, hand them the manifest and any hazmat paperwork, go inside the FBO and call in my times for the morning flight. Then I drive home and usually arrive in time to get some snuggling in before my GF gets up for work, getting in my home at about 1300Z. I usually take a nap in the morning but more hardcore people are known to just tough it out and work a separate job or take care of kids, but I usually take a nap then wake up and play video games or read novels.

We have two runs where I am based. One of the runs is 4 days a week(Mon PM to Fri AM) and one is 5 (Mon PM to Sat AM) and the two pilots alternate weekly so every other week I get a "long" weekend.

I'm paid a starting salary of $38,500/yr and the company pays 100% of my health insurance. The QOL is nice primarily because I only "work" about 4 hours a day and don't have to touch any of the packages, in fact we're not really allowed to touch them. I used to work for a UPS feeder and I was going to have a blown back by the time I was 28 if I kept having to load that plane every day.

that pretty much sums it up! except in my case i show at 1141Z and am off duty around 0130Z so it is nearly a 14hr duty day with actual work time of about the same 4-5 hours. been playing a lot of golf! everyone bitches and tries to make fun of caravan pilots, but I don't care, you can't beat the schedule.

actually in a few months I will be going back to a "normal" schedule tues-saturday with primarily out and backs, maybe 1 or 2 long days a week, otherwise done by noon every day and they will not call you back!

I'm not FedEx, YET, but from the point of view of a new freight dog, I can say that I love what I do! Beats the hell out of flight instructing.

I was on the 208. Love it.
I want go back because I like to fly at night ifr.
no a job for girls as sometimes you are minimum like 200 feet ground and worry if u see runway or not... Specially on ndb approaches.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

I was on the 208. Love it.
I want go back because I like to fly at night ifr.

no a job for girls as sometimes you are minimum like 200 feet ground and worry if u see runway or not... Specially on ndb approaches.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

Sorry. That sounds incredibly toolish. And there are plenty of Women who can do that better than lots of Men. And on top of that, if are only 200 feet AGL on an NDB, and still on the gauges, ya got other problems.

That and they want 50 of actual instrument time.. In the clouds. Makes sense, but hard to get in the SouthWest. At least for Empire that is.

I found it finally:

Apart from this (as well as the locale).......
(flown mostly on autopilot, direct from the 530W, and using satellite weather and radar to avoid any thunderstorms)

.......my freight flying day-to-day was nearly identical. You guys are spoiled these days! Pretty soon it'll be G1000 equipped freight birds as the norm. The days of the beat up Chieftain or Lance will be in the past! :)

Apart from this (as well as the locale).......

.......my freight flying day-to-day was nearly identical. You guys are spoiled these days! Pretty soon it'll be G1000 equipped freight birds as the norm. The days of the beat up Chieftain or Lance will be in the past! :)
I fly a g600 bird :-(

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I flew a 207 with only a single VOR. A PA-32R with a a single ADF and single VOR, but no DME; then thought I was in the big leagues when I got the PA-31-350 with TWO VORs. /U all the way!

Back