Hard Landing

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
How hard does one have to land to buckle an airframe? Everyone seemed fine. Serious question….is that a death wish for a pilot or more a carpet dance for the crew…? Assuming it’s a complete write-off.
Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.19.39 PM.jpg

This is not the first time one of these has had similar damage due to aggressive de-rotating. I think Omni did something very similar

ANA did it (on video) in Tokyo. Hard landing and bounced off the nose gear which probably caused the damage.

Crew will probably just be “retrained” provided they weren’t acting recklessly or negligently.

Here’s the link:

Crazy that happened with a 767-300. It’s a pretty forgiving airplane.

I found the 76 easy to land. The 75, some guys had a slight derotation just prior to touchdown and it would squeak on. I never got the hang of that. I would just try to land it as flat as I could without hitting the nosewheel first. When I could get that to happen with a minimal sink rate I got great landings. The 76 you just flare a tad from your approach sink rate at the right time while pulling the power off and you couldn't go wrong. I didn't get many squeakers on the 76 but didn't get many bad landings, either. I know I slammed it on pretty good a few times by basically not flaring. Embarrassing, but didn't hurt anything. Loved the 76.

This is not the first time one of these has had similar damage due to aggressive de-rotating. I think Omni did something very similar

They (we at the time, I guess) certainly did. IMS, somebody was on IOE, can't remember which somebody. In any case, autospoilers deferred, bounced landing, spoilers manually deployed while back in the air, kerplop, apologies all around. They finally got it back in the air, but the rumor was they only fixed it to avoid having a hull loss on the record, ie it was not economical to fix.

Back