Hard Landing

So putting 1 yr guys in the 767 is having its expected toll at United and Delta. Yikes.
1691240393807.gif

We agree there. Even with 3000+ hrs on the 75/76 it catches me off guard at times (late/early engagement).
The 767 gets me all the time. I think I was doomed from the start since my first landing in the thing was a squeaker. All downhill from there.

The 757-200 on the other hand was specifically built for me. The Boeing engineers just didn't know it at the time. I can go months without touching a 757 and come back to good landings. 🤷‍♂️

What are we getting at here? What airframe should first year folks start out on? I and plenty other folks went to the 75/76 at Brown and many other places and have yet to smash one up.

All pilots should be forced to start on a CRJ-200 or an E-145 with no APU. Put some decent time on that. Then move to an A320 or B737. Get some real big boy time, landings, and experience. Only then touch the holy grail of widebodies. Any jet checkride failure puts you straight in turboprop purgatory, the Q400 if you’re lucky or a clapped out Beech 1900C for a cargo outfit.

This is not the first time one of these has had similar damage due to aggressive de-rotating. I think Omni did something very similar
I have a friend that was fired after 1....just one leg out of training at ATI for a bad landing that broke something.

I have a friend that was fired after 1....just one leg out of training at ATI for a bad landing that broke something.
Was it the landing? or was said landing just the final straw? It's pretty hard to get fired from a union carrier, but i'd imagine the person was also on probation also.

There are rumors about one of our 767s being an IOE student that have been disputed on an internal forum. I’ve seen images from people with details of the alleged student in a text message screenshot and those don’t appear to be factual.

Been 20+ yrs since I flew the B76/75 but I seem to remember after main gear touchdown and spoiler deployment, one had a tendency to pitch up while the other had a pitch down tendency. It wasn’t unusual for a student to fly their entire IOE on the B767 and then get a release to the line check on a B757 or visa versa.

Granted, after touchdown you should initially freeze the pitch attitude for a couple seconds by doing whatever is necessary with the yoke and than slowly lower the nose. However, the student may have over anticipated what was required based on previous B757 flights. On the other hand….maybe he/they just f&cked it up.

Been 20+ yrs since I flew the B76/75 but I seem to remember after main gear touchdown and spoiler deployment, one had a tendency to pitch up while the other had a pitch down tendency.
That's exactly right. The 757 nose will drop pretty quickly after spoiler deployment, while the 767 has a pitch up tendency. As someone that flies the 757 90% of the time, and considering I may have something like 10 actual landings in the 767 in the year and a half I've been here between all the relief and PM legs, it still catches me off guard. Even telling myself that on final my reflex to catch the nose kicks in but luckily quickly stops as soon as I feel it going the other way.

Honestly as a former structural engineer that worked for the manufacturer in question, i don't see how a regular "oh • i let the nose drop hard" moment can cause that kind of damage. Besides considering a 767 initially pitches up like we originally said it shouldn't be that dramatic. To me that takes either touching down nosewheel first or slamming it down with full nose down elevator input. Would love to see the FOQA data if they ever publish it

Back