Considering leaving the profession for good, could use advice

From what I've heard? Mostly relying on bad gouge instead of following along during training.

Runner up: Carrying over issues from previous operators or types.

Second runner up: Not studying.

Third runner up: The attitude that It's. Just. Not. That. Hard.
Well, speaking only for myself and the hundreds of folks I've taught to fly (who've [afaik] never bent metal, hurt anyone, or had to file paperwork) ... It's. Just. Not. (...that hard).

Still, in fairness, I can totally see how it might be a thing for the Dunning-Kruger crowd. (an ever-growing problem as SM infects their otherwise, largely vacuous noggins)

The perfect pilot always maintains the perfect balance of confidence vs humility.

Reroutes or reflows are not expressly addressed in written policy at SkyWest, believe it or not.

Not like they’d follow their own rules, but IMS, there aren’t even any rules.

I have’t seen the handbook in a long time, but when I was there reflows were absolutely addressed in it…for line holders only. It stated that reflows scheduled to finish beyond the originally scheduled duty time required consent of the crew. I used it multiple times, including once where they wanted to tack on a ferry flight back to base at the end of a long duty day in the middle of a 4 day and I didn’t want to have to fight commuting pilots for the right to a crappy room at the Quality ORD—I got a call from the MOD who said I “wasn’t being helpful” and I told him that I was just going by the book, never heard about it again. We used it a bunch when a final turn got cancelled, they switched us to airport standby and then would release us when possible turns ending before our scheduled release had departed.

Very clearly did not apply to reserves though.

From what I've heard? Mostly relying on bad gouge instead of following along during training.

I will say, if nothing else, thank you for making me feel, more thankful…its easy to jump on the “but I want their xyz…” Im used to my shop being the running joke, and getting the “looks” when I check in up front, or tell acquaintances who I fly for…but truthfully, other than the shame I feel when I see our pax get screwed, its easy for me to brush off.

Some of the situations you described are just…wrong. Even here I am like “under no circumstance would they do that, or get away with that here”….Like, I would absolutely not handle them with such dignity…so kudos to you.

Do not give up. Apps everywhere. Go!

Oh and sleep.

Well, speaking only for myself and the hundreds of folks I've taught to fly (who've [afaik] never bent metal, hurt anyone, or had to file paperwork) ... It's. Just. Not. (...that hard).

Still, in fairness, I can totally see how it might be a thing for the Dunning-Kruger crowd. (an ever-growing problem as SM infects their otherwise, largely vacuous noggins)

The perfect pilot always maintains the perfect balance of confidence vs humility

Maybe we could have an AI bot that translates AI posts. Cool.

I have yet to get an important hotel phone call.

No one but the hotel or the company would be calling me on that. No thanks!

Lesssons learned the hard way.

Ring ring, ring ring

(Sleepy voice), hello?

Yes Sir, are you checking out?

Ma’am, it’s 11am. I just landed at 6am and slept at 730. Thanks for waking me up.

Never again. Unplug all hotel phones.

If there’s a fire, I’ll hear the alarms. I don’t need them calling me.

That works unless it is the maid hammering on your door at 1105, after that post redeye hotel check-in. Can't remember where that happened to me, otherwise I'd say it, but luckily I'm pretty good at getting back to sleep immediately with no screaming morning children. Pretty sure I yelled some likely unintelligible garbage back that would theoretically have sounded a lot like "THIS IS A CREW ROOM, I DONT CHECK OUT UNTIL 4 PM, GET FUUUUUUUUUUUUC*******ED"

We do a LOT more probationary pilot review boards now than we used to, along with flight ops review boards. (Those are the mechanisms that result in figuring out whether people can continue as SJI pilots.) As in, as many in a month as we did in the course of a few years.

Then again, SkyWest also does orders of magnitude more TRBs too, and that isn’t a new phenomenon, though at least they don’t still give FOs a hundred hours of OE still either. The “doesn’t matter, just pass them” phase was absolutely horrifying.

Do you know what time it is, boys and girls? It's apps out everywhere time!

Attachments

• IMG_3441.jpeg
    IMG_3441.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 14
I don't really believe in the "you're only allowed to be X if you did Y" thing, as I think it misses a lot of really important nuance. In this case, though, it may apply—I've been trying to stick it out here until/unless I can get to a Career Destination(tm). But someone up the thread said basically "go anywhere else," and that rang true, especially with all the metering going on with SkyWest pilots.

But until yesterday, I was miserable but chill. Like, I live in base, fly an airplane I love, fly with great crews, love our FAs and the local chiefs.

Yesterday, though? Last straw.

Shame I missed the boat.

I don't really believe in the "you're only allowed to be X if you did Y" thing, as I think it misses a lot of really important nuance. In this case, though, it may apply—I've been trying to stick it out here until/unless I can get to a Career Destination(tm). But someone up the thread said basically "go anywhere else," and that rang true, especially with all the metering going on with SkyWest pilots.

But until yesterday, I was miserable but chill. Like, I live in base, fly an airplane I love, fly with great crews, love our FAs and the local chiefs.

Shame I missed the boat.

You’re a hockey player. You know what it’s like to give it absolutely everything you got and not come out on top. THATs what I’m talking about. Get feisty, leave no stone unturned.

You’re a hockey player. You know what it’s like to give it absolutely everything you got and not come out on top. THATs what I’m talking about. Get feisty, leave no stone unturned.
Eh heh heh ... you ever skated with me? At least when I was in my prime, feisty was my game. But yeah, giving absolutely everything and it still not being enough is a bit demoralizing.
2024-06-25 16.54.12.jpg

Shame I missed the boat.

I'm sure that you are smart enough to take advantage of all the resources, but how does the "California Sick" - i.e. Cali Kin Care - apply to your situation. Can you leverage the provisions of it to get some more non-punitive time off when burnt out? I know that Cali based pilots fall under a different set of rules when it comes to "PTO/Sick Time" but I'm not sure of the nuances of your current shop.

Maybe @Autothrust Blue who still knows the rules might know a loophole that would help?

I'm sure that you are smart enough to take advantage of all the resources, but how does the "California Sick" - i.e. Cali Kin Care - apply to your situation. Can you leverage the provisions of it to get some more non-punitive time off when burnt out? I know that Cali based pilots fall under a different set of rules when it comes to "PTO/Sick Time" but I'm not sure of the nuances of your current shop.

Maybe @Autothrust Blue who still knows the rules might know a loophole that would help?

I've never heard of it. As far as I know, SkyWest generally considers themselves exempt from state-level regulations, since we're working under a CBA. (They renamed the Pilot Policy Manual to "CBA") *cough*

State sick vs. kin are are not exactly the same, but California does provide both, and air carrier employees, unlike some other states, aren't excluded. We sure as snot aren't.

I actually don't know much about 'state sick' out there, beyond the little fact sheet our PFMC puts out. That said, a cursory search suggests that there's a minimum leave requirement, and that it's illegal for an employer to retaliate against or discharge you for using sick leave.

My Dad interviewed with a local 135 for a full time PIC position and they thought they were hot stuff offering four whole guaranteed days off a month.

By regulation they’re only required to have 13 days off per quarter. It sort of sounds like they were bragging about being legal.

Back