Flight Attendant Age

andrewpedals

My girlfriend is taking one of those flight attendant classes and I was wondering first off what airlines hire out of Florida and secondly, she's only 19, I figured FAs needed to be 21 because of serving alcohol on flights. Am I wrong, or is it just harder for 19 year olds to be hired. Her school told her (I guessed cause they wanted her money) that there would be no problem finding a job in Florida or at the age of 19. I am skeptical about the place so I just wanted to see if anyone could give me a little insight.

My girlfriend is taking one of those flight attendant classes and I was wondering first off what airlines hire out of Florida and secondly, she's only 19, I figured FAs needed to be 21 because of serving alcohol on flights. Am I wrong, or is it just harder for 19 year olds to be hired. Her school told her (I guessed cause they wanted her money) that there would be no problem finding a job in Florida or at the age of 19. I am skeptical about the place so I just wanted to see if anyone could give me a little insight.
A flight attendant class??? Did Riddle finally follow through with all their April fool's jokes over the years?

Sorry, anyways, what airline is she trying to get on in FL? There are only a few based down there. Does her "school" have a career assistance office or anything, oter than the cashier's office?

Sorry if it sounds rough, but the airline will teach any FA what they need to know...where's MQAA??

By the way, my mom was hired as an FA (stew back then) and is now retired from American. She was hired at 19 (or 20, can't remember), so it is possible...in this economy it will be very tough, but it has happened before. She is also fluent in Spanish.

Haha it's her choice, I tried to warn her that it doesn't sound too promissing but I guess she has a better understanding than me, who has been in aviation for 7 years. Anyways its like the FA version of ATP located at Daytona Beach. I'm sure people from Riddle know what I'm talking about. They have career services and schedule interviews for various Regionals while they are still taking their courses but the very few open positions I see on monster.com and such state they have to be 21. She's a sweet girl and all but she's from farmville, midwest, not used to the scams of the real world. Just want to have my understanding ready if and when I have to do damage control.

Well, at least Riddle followed through with all their April Fools' jokes, since that was the only thing they could come up with when I was there...an FA school on campus...we will improve our 10/1 ratio overnight!! People actually even bought it, and I guess now Riddle followed through.

I would hate to see the bill for those courses. Sad what DAB has become...it always was a Ringling Bros, but it is just comical in a travesty kind of way now.:dunno:

Oh no its not Riddle, its just on the airport facility. Ya Riddle hasn't added anything new in the way of courses that I know of. Except a Masters in Aeronautics. This place is located within the terminal of DAB or something like that. I think all Riddle is changing now is making the flight line and other buildings bigger. I'm guessing its from the $30,000 a year we all give them.

Oh no its not Riddle, its just on the airport facility. Ya Riddle hasn't added anything new in the way of courses that I know of. Except a Masters in Aeronautics. This place is located within the terminal of DAB or something like that. I think all Riddle is changing now is making the flight line and other buildings bigger. I'm guessing its from the $30,000 a year we all give them.
Well, not "we all". :pirate: When I went through, I paid for 4 years of college and all flight training for $60K. My parents and I split the cost evenly, me with loans, and them with loans!

I understood what you were saying, and was just kidding you a little.:bandit: It's good and sad to hear Riddle isn't doing this...so I wonder if it was started by a Riddle Alumni??? Hmmm...

Those "F/A schools" are totally worthless, a complete waste of time and they really piss me off because they take people's money for nothing.

The experience required to be a F/A is: *customer service experience (often gained in retail, hospitality or food service), and *a positive attitude (which can only come from within the individual, regardless of educational background).

Some airlines do hire at 19, I was hired by Eagle at 20, and there were two 19 year olds in class with me. Check around the different airlines' websites for hiring requirements. I can guarantee that nowhere in ANY airlines' flight attendant candidate requirements will be "travel school" of any kind. In fact, some airlines consider those schools to be a negative. None of those schools actually graduate someone who is fully qualified to be an airline flight attendant. Each flight attendant an airline hires MUST go through the airline's new-hire F/A program and pass. Sometimes people who've been through a flight attendant "career" or travel school program go into an airline's new-hire school with a "yeah, I already know everything" attitude... so some airlines do not look favorably on those types of programs.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I still think it was a waste of money but she likes to think of it as her alternative to college so it makes her feel better about herself. The good thing is her parents are helping her so it's not putting us in the poor house so no harm no foul.

Sometimes people who've been through a flight attendant "career" or travel school program go into an airline's new-hire school with a "yeah, I already know everything" attitude... so some airlines do not look favorably on those types of programs.

Good thing they don't apply that standard when hiring pilots.

Back