Douchey Pilot Things. A list

ahw01

A friend started a list, any to add?

Douchey Pilot things: in no particular order…

Refers to the aircraft as “the jet”
Wears (or even owns) a pilot hat
Doing any kind of flight prep in the hotel van - i.e. Looking at CCI in the hotel van
Douchey Briefings:
⁃ I fly standard/by the book” …because they seldom do
⁃ the most important thing on the trip is to have a good time” …because it’s not
⁃ Lengthy briefings that include multiple if/than statements
ID Badge clipped to the shirt lapel
Wearing sunglasses inside the airport
Shoulder harnesses on at the gate
System/procedure quizzes of any kind
Napoleon complexes
O2 masks on when the other pilot goes on bathroom break - and they realize it’s not required anymore
On bathroom break guys who put their seats all the way forward to prevent the FA from sitting in their “pilot seat”
Non flying pilot places hand on the flap lever as a way of “hinting” to the pilot flying for a flap change.
Asking the other pilot to “activate and confirm” or anything else that is just as easily done by themselves
Pilot talks about how good looking their spouse/daughters are and then shows you pics of the them (oftentimes in bathing suits)
Guys who wear their “old airline” adornments (I.e. old AA wings, etc)

What’s wrong with flight prep in the van? I like to look at the release to see what I’m getting into. At my new company it’s the first way to see what’s wrong with the plane
What can you do about it in the van I guess

Non flying pilot places hand on the flap lever as a way of “hinting” to the pilot flying for a flap change.

A friend explained it that they do this as their own "bottom line" to prevent continuing without being configured at that point in the approach. They're pretty disciplined with this to prevent being lost in the shuffle of other distractions (handoff to tower or late runway change). Another friend does something similar with their hand until gear down as a reminder to not land gear up. They've done this since their instructor days and it is so subtle you'd never know it unless they told you.

Doing any kind of flight prep in the hotel van - i.e. Looking at CCI in the hotel van
Douchey Briefings:
⁃ the most important thing on the trip is to have a good time” …because it’s not
Napoleon complexes
O2 masks on when the other pilot goes on bathroom break - and they realize it’s not required anymore
On bathroom break guys who put their seats all the way forward to prevent the FA from sitting in their “pilot seat”
Asking the other pilot to “activate and confirm” or anything else that is just as easily done by themselves
Pilot talks about how good looking their spouse/daughters are and then shows you pics of the them (oftentimes in bathing suits)
If your friend is worrying about all this stuff, then maybe they are first on the list?

My new shop, the hat is a requirement...so they give me the money, and they want me to wear the hat...I wear the hat. It's not the worst thing in the world to have, esp if you live in the PacNW where it's rainy.

Briefing on the way to the airport...probably not something to do for an O'dark:30 van ride/pre -coffee, but if it's a mid-monring or afternoon van and there's a fair amount "typical day" going on, (Plane's late, MEL's, weather, etc) it's a good time to give the FA's a quick run down.

Personally, looking at this list...none it would make me go "wow, this other guy is a •". Particular, maybe.

Looking at the release in the van has probably kept us from pushing late a couple times.

BuT youR HeLPinG thE CoMpAnY FoRe FreeZ11!10

No, I’m keeping things as close to my planned rotation so the company doesn’t decide to get too creative. And maybe being a frontline leader means staying ahead of the operation…call it a personality flaw if you’re that kind of person during contract negotiations.

Is saying "the jet" super unusual? In my other flying world, it's what we always said without even thinking about it.....granted a lot of military aviation isms are probably really weird to others

Douchey Briefings:
Napoleon complexes
hopefully this is something you pulled off of facebook or reddit, because it has zero relevance to 121 airline flying

Back