Douchey Pilot Things. A list

Is saying "the jet" super unusual? In my other flying world, it's what we always said without even thinking about it.....granted a lot of military aviation isms are probably really weird to others
nobody gives a crap, but yes, its a military thing

If the company requires a hat, I wear a hat. Nothing douchey about it.

As others said, flight prep in the van is being smart, not douchey.

We are required to confirm FMC inputs before activating. That's not douchey, that's procedure.

Clipping the ID vs wearing a lanyard is personal preference. I don't like the lanyard, personally. If that makes me a •, I'm cool with it.

All the other stuff on your friend's list, if I've seen it, it was 1 in 1000. Sounds like your friend is hyper sensitive.

The number of dudes I flew with that would look at the release in their room (and sign it off) before getting on the van would make OP's head explode. I always thought that was overachieving and douchey.

I do flight planning on the van (no briefing tho) because it benefits me, not the company. I don't like being rushed once I sit down in the plane. Plus if we're downtown, the van ride is likely 20-25 minutes.. helps kill that time.

The only really good thing ive ever seen from looking ahead for releases etc, is if they planned you stupid low on fuel and its just not a great idea to hedge your bets. Then when you're walking to the gate and by the ops agent or whatever, you can just request an extra amount without missing it and then realizing 10 minutes before push you're gonna be in a tight spot. And maybe some doozy MEL stuff that requires some oddball procedures....

A friend started a list, any to add?

Douchey Pilot things: in no particular order…

Refers to the aircraft as “the jet”
Wears (or even owns) a pilot hat
Doing any kind of flight prep in the hotel van - i.e. Looking at CCI in the hotel van
Douchey Briefings:
⁃ I fly standard/by the book” …because they seldom do
⁃ the most important thing on the trip is to have a good time” …because it’s not
⁃ Lengthy briefings that include multiple if/than statements
ID Badge clipped to the shirt lapel
Wearing sunglasses inside the airport
Shoulder harnesses on at the gate
System/procedure quizzes of any kind
Napoleon complexes
O2 masks on when the other pilot goes on bathroom break - and they realize it’s not required anymore
On bathroom break guys who put their seats all the way forward to prevent the FA from sitting in their “pilot seat”
Non flying pilot places hand on the flap lever as a way of “hinting” to the pilot flying for a flap change.
Asking the other pilot to “activate and confirm” or anything else that is just as easily done by themselves
Pilot talks about how good looking their spouse/daughters are and then shows you pics of the them (oftentimes in bathing suits)
Guys who wear their “old airline” adornments (I.e. old AA wings, etc)

*if/then

I don't know where certain stereotypes came from (although I'm a believer that most stereotypes have a legitimate origin story, whether it's currently true/valid or not). I flew with guys who wore hats when they weren't required, FFDOs, wore long sleeves, wore the clip on, wore the regular tie, had a travelPro suitcase, fill in the blank, and none of them were crazy or non-standard or a problem. A guy or two I flew with who had none of the "warning signs" were thrown on the no-fly and will not go out for dinner list.

For what it's worth.

<spelling>

Last edited:
What!? I am a freaking Saint.
1655318575027.png

Back