CRJ call outs: more than other aircraft?

STS-41B

Only jet I’ve ever flown is the CRJ. It seems we have in inordinate number of calls to make especially on single engine go-around..
just curious about other aircraft- I know most can do go-arounds with auto pilot on; where the CRJ cannot.
But when I’ve watched videos of 747 and others doing go-arounds, it seems like there’s basically silence between the crew Lol.

Only jet I’ve ever flown is the CRJ. It seems we have in inordinate number of calls to make especially on single engine go-around..
just curious about other aircraft- I know most can do go-arounds with auto pilot on; where the CRJ cannot.
But when I’ve watched videos of 747 and others doing go-arounds, it seems like there’s basically silence between the crew Lol.
I'd think that depends more on the company than anything else
I've been told that when the CRJ showed up at Eagle it was a very silent airplane, but became much more verbalized over the years.
For example there are two "set missed approach" altitude calls - at due to the peculiarities of the "SPEED" button on the autopilot control panel.

I'd think that depends more on the company than anything else

Bingo. I flew the CRJ for many years and it was always interesting to ride in the jump of another RJ carrier to see how they ran their show. It all depends on whoever is currently in charge of the fleet at each company and cycle of turnover between fifedoms of said managers on what procedures/call outs are current.

Case in point procedure wise, UAL 756 guys hardly touch the bleed air panel for starts, us SouthernJetters make sure we touch
ALL the buttons. Errr...switches I mean.

What do you mean about go-arounds and the autopilot in the CRJ? We train in the sim to switch the autopilot on at 600’ or higher once you have it under control like any other takeoff. Same after you have a V1 cut under control.

What do you mean about go-arounds and the autopilot in the CRJ? We train in the sim to switch the autopilot on at 600’ or higher once you have it under control like any other takeoff. Same after you have a V1 cut under control.

Yes you switch on at 600’ ... but some aircraft (e-175 I believe) can do the entire go-around under autopilot. CRJ kicks autopilot off when TOGA is pressed.

If you think the CRJ has a ton of callouts try the Airbus under pure FCOM. You'll get winded before you hit 80kts...

Hey, it can't possibly be as bad as a go around in a Navajo or an SP Citation. Do one of those and you sound like a crazy person or one of those fancy Wall Street dudes shouting very important words into his earbud mic. I mean, you're not even calling out to anybody... Just filling the single-pilot cockpit with voodoo babble.

Hey, it can't possibly be as bad as a go around in a Navajo or an SP Citation. Do one of those and you sound like a crazy person or one of those fancy Wall Street dudes shouting very important words into his earbud mic. I mean, you're not even calling out to anybody... Just filling the single-pilot cockpit with voodoo babble.
Callouts single pilot is the dumbest thing any training dept has ever come up with.

Maybe because I have only flown turboprops, but it seems both the SAAB and the Q have a crazy amount of callouts.

Yes you switch on at 600’ ... but some aircraft (e-175 I believe) can do the entire go-around under autopilot. CRJ kicks autopilot off when TOGA is pressed.

Oh. Well yeah, but that’s not a big deal IMO. Just switch it back on once it’s going again.

I fly the 145 for Eaglevoy and lately have been flying with some of the direct entry captains who came over from flying the same plane at Expressjet. They all claim we have way more callouts than they did.

I like our “1000 feet, stable, spoilers stowed, confirm missed approach altitude set, xxxx set” call out.....

You learn to love/hate the sound of the other guy/gal’s voice by the end of day 4.

Could be worse. Engine failure at V1:

At Vr: PM: Rotate
PM: Positive rate
PF: Gear up
At acceleration height: PM: Acceleration height
PF: Push ALT
At V2+10: PM: Flap retract speed
PF: Flaps up
At open/solid bug speed: PM: Single engine climb speed
PF: Push IAS, set [bug speed]
PF: Engine failure checklist

The CRJ is a dream in comparison

Could be worse. Engine failure at V1:

At Vr: PM: Rotate
PM: Positive rate
PF: Gear up
At acceleration height: PM: Acceleration height
PF: Push ALT
At V2+10: PM: Flap retract speed
PF: Flaps up
At open/solid bug speed: PM: Single engine climb speed
PF: Push IAS, set [bug speed]
PF: Engine failure checklist

The CRJ is a dream in comparison
Our V1 cut is a mouth full.
Postive rate, gear up, speed mode, set V2, heading mode, 1/2 bank. At V2+10 - half bank off, at flap retraction altitude - flaps 8 or up, at Vt - set MCT, run checklist

Back