CRJ call outs: more than other aircraft?

Our V1 cut is a mouth full.
Postive rate, gear up, speed mode, set V2, heading mode, 1/2 bank. At V2+10 - half bank off, at flap retraction altitude - flaps 8 or up, at Vt - set MCT, run checklist

interesting. We do half-bank on at the same time. But select it off after flaps up. Interesting how different companies operate the same equipment differently.

interesting. We do half-bank on at the same time. But select it off after flaps up. Interesting how different companies operate the same equipment differently.

I was with Pinnacle for 4 years in DTW and we were given new deicing procedures every year. Every time, you’d think to yourself “maybe Bombardier finally put out guidance to all of the operators.” And then the first winter event would happen and some other operator would be next to you deicing using a completely different procedure in the same plane. We’d have flaps out, they wouldn’t. We’d trim for takeoff, they’d trim full nose down.

Nobody ever crashed, so it either doesn’t matter as much as we’re made to believe (the exact procedure, not deicing in general) or a lot of us got crazy lucky literally every time we took off.

I was with Pinnacle for 4 years in DTW and we were given new deicing procedures every year. Every time, you’d think to yourself “maybe Bombardier finally put out guidance to all of the operators.” And then the first winter event would happen and some other operator would be next to you deicing using a completely different procedure in the same plane. We’d have flaps out, they wouldn’t. We’d trim for takeoff, they’d trim full nose down.

Nobody ever crashed, so it either doesn’t matter as much as we’re made to believe (the exact procedure, not deicing in general) or a lot of us got crazy lucky literally every time we took off.

ASA was like that with thrust reverser use. One year they were concerned about brake wear, the next they're worried about wear and tear on the engines.

Bingo. I flew the CRJ for many years and it was always interesting to ride in the jump of another RJ carrier to see how they ran their show. It all depends on whoever is currently in charge of the fleet at each company and cycle of turnover between fifedoms of said managers on what procedures/call outs are current.
Too frigging much talking at Our Previous Employer.

I like our “1000 feet, stable, spoilers stowed, confirm missed approach altitude set, xxxx set” call out.....

You learn to love/hate the sound of the other guy/gal’s voice by the end of day 4.
I was always taught to complete each checklist once. Once. And correctly. It was understood that completion of the checklist included verifying that each item contained in it was accomplished correctly. After completion... move on. Do not repeat. Do not regress. Do not distract yourself with inefficacious redundancy of effort... and doubt.

This double and triple checking nonsense seems to me to belie proper completion of a checklist the first time... and this distracting behavior typically comes at a critical phase of flight.

Not picking on you @CUTigerPilot. You just presented a jumping off point.

I was always taught to complete each checklist once. Once. And correctly. It was understood that completion of the checklist included verifying that each item contained in it was accomplished correctly. After completion... move on. Do not repeat. Do not regress. Do not distract yourself with inefficacious redundancy of effort... and doubt.

This double and triple checking nonsense seems to me to belie proper completion of a checklist the first time... and this distracting behavior typically comes at a critical phase of flight.

Not picking on you @CUTigerPilot. You just presented a jumping off point.

I 100% agree with you. I was being facetious when I said I “liked” our call out. I’d much rather it just be “1000 ft” “stable”. And the captain just make it a part of his flow to double check the spoilers. But I digress... we talk way too much at my place...

Don't get used to anything, they'll change it on you before you know it.
Luckily in my over 2.5 years at the airline they haven’t made any huge changes. Or maybe they have and I’m just not one of those crusty bags who complain about the new call outs and reminisce about the good ole days!

756 guys hardly touch the bleed air panel for starts, us SouthernJetters make sure we touch
ALL the buttons. Errr...switches I mean.

Yeah, when I jumpseat on one of your "ERs" I always wonder what the FO is doing up there. I'm not allowed to touch those switches. Shoot, I'm not even sure what they do! :ooh:

Back