Company wants you to pay for training?

Well, I hope the apology is sincere. Seems like sort of a big point to just slip up on. Like how long did it take them to get back to you and say "oops"? If it smells like they were fishing for a sucker and came up dry, I'd still be real careful about working for them. Good luck.

Good to hear. And good luck. Glad you didn't have this blow up in your face. That is a pretty big screw up on their part, but it's not uncommon to have some idiots that relay information down and things like this happen. Or, as Boris said, they may have gone fishing and realized they were way in the wrong... Either way, good luck!

Why would they want to give you 15%? Today's loan rates are much lower! Do they just like throwing money out the window?

If it smells....

Just to give everyone an update... Seems there was a HUGE misunderstanding that got way out of content getting to the person it needed to get too... I was suppose to be told I had the option of paying for it and getting reimbursed the loan + 15% over the course of a year if I chose to pay for it myself or they would pay for my type rating by themselves... I got the phone call today along with a HUGE apology... So somebody in the office SCREWED UP REALLY BAD :eek: and I was told it was all on my own dime and no option... So I do still have a job... Some words got messed up by the time it got back to me... They are paying for everything and im not... Thanks for all your advice... I will be sure to keep everything in mind... Your a great group of people and I really appreciate the huge responses and the advice!!!!!! :crazy:

Or, they realized you can stand up to something unfair and backed down "blaming" someones screw up. Tread with caution

If a company can't afford to properly train its pilots, then it doesn't need to have a jet...PERIOD.

Since there is not an airline in the country that is making money right now, it can be argued that they can't afford to train their pilots, so should they all just park their jets?

Nowhere in the Annals of Aviation is it written that an employer has to pay for your training. In any profession, it is right and reasonable to expect a professional to bear the expense of obtaining and maintaining their professional qualifications.

The reason airlines typically pay for their pilots' training is because they have too many pilots, airplanes, and airplane types to expect the free market to supply enough qualified pilots to satisfy their training needs. Even if the free market could satisfy that demand, the airlines must satisfy regulations mandating pilots complete FAA approved company training programs. Regional airlines are slightly different in that they typically only operate one or two aircraft types, but they still typically do not shift that cost to employees, although it may be more feasible to do so.

On the other hand, corporate operators may only have one or two aircraft and much less training requirements to satisfy. It is possible, and indeed likely, that they may go years without pilot attrition. In this case, it is perfectly reasonable to pass that cost along to the market place. It's no different than any other profession. If I have a need to hire a MCSE, I would expect that any applicant would bring that basic qualification with them. If they do not have it, I might still hire them, but since I now have to pay the training bill, it is going to be reflected in their salary in some way.

All that being said, any company who does what this one did is, in my opinion, operating under shady and questionable business practices, and ought to be avoided, if for no other reason than to send a message that people will not stand for such ethics.

And again, Southwest is NOT a pay for training company. They do not expect you to write a check to them or their training division when you walk in the door. They simply require a demonstration of your ability to pass their training program, hence the type rating requirement. How and where you get that rating is completely up to you. I bet there are a good portion of pilots who got their rating at the expense of another airline, or perhaps in the military. If you're not one of those people, then you have pay to obtain your professional qualifcations, which as I noted earlier, is right and reasonable.

Just to give everyone an update... Seems there was a HUGE misunderstanding that got way out of content getting to the person it needed to get too... I was suppose to be told I had the option of paying for it and getting reimbursed the loan + 15% over the course of a year if I chose to pay for it myself or they would pay for my type rating by themselves... I got the phone call today along with a HUGE apology... So somebody in the office SCREWED UP REALLY BAD :eek:

Make them pay for it.

This still seems shady for me. I don't see any reason why a company that wants people they hire to get certain job related training won't pay for it without even asking if their employees will take a loan out.

Be very careful with these guys. I smell a rat.

Make them pay for it.

This still seems shady for me. I don't see any reason why a company that wants people they hire to get certain job related training won't pay for it without even asking if their employees will take a loan out.

Be very careful with these guys. I smell a rat.

Listen to Tony - he is wise.

Check these guys out carefully. Do they have complaints lodged against them by the Better Business Bureau, etc? What do their other pilots say?

It just doesn't make sense that they're offering to pay you 15%. I'd never pay anyone 15% interest for anything, not even my most greedy credit card company. It just doesn't make sense from a business perspective, unless they're planning to screw you in the end.

I'd steer clear honestly.

And no, type ratings aren't always five figures. I see B737 types for $7,000 with a little searching on Google.
Whew! Thank goodness Google verified that. :rolleyes::sarcasm:

B737 and Ce500 types can be had pretty cheap if you attend a "weekend" type of class. Usually done in a 40 year old 737 sim or 30 year old Citation I's.

Most companies and insurance companies want to see reputable training from Flight Safety, Sim Com or Simuflight. Level D corporate jet sims cost a lot more to obtain a type in than a leased out 737-200 sim. It is not unusual for a corporate type rating to reach $30,000.

If you walk in the door at NetJets with a type rating and 2000 hours in type, we still send you to a full initial type class.

You have to ask why SWA, asks for a type. Newhires aren't going to be PIC for many years and SICs don't require a PIC type rating. By the time they upgrade they will have attended recurrent 737 training several times and a PIC type by then is only a matter of paperwork.

Back