Commentary on a profile pic...

trafficinsight

Pardon my indulgence.

A bit under 23 years ago I spent my first night in the dorms at San Jose State. I was there studying computer science, it was something I enjoyed and I figured I'd make a comfortable living doing that and maybe then someday I could learn to fly and maybe buy an airplane or something. I was arranging my room with the door open when a guy stopped by and introduced himself. His room was at the opposite end of the hall and he was just making the rounds saying hi. I thought that was kind of weird because I hadn't realized yet that college was not going to be anything like high school, but he was a cool guy and we hit it off. He was in the aviation department at SJSU, which I didn't even know existed when I decided to go there. We talked airplanes quite a bit and hung out and laughed a lot. He's probably one of the funniest people I know. There were shenanigans.

Over the winter break he earned his private. One night that spring around 10:00pm I was sitting in my room with the door open, as I often did, working on my homework and not enjoying it a whole lot. He stopped by and said "Hey do you wanna go flying?" I said that of course I'd like to go flying, when? "Right now!" He said. The last time I had been flying was on my 12th birthday, I also was given a glider ride that day which was incredible. In between that and college I had gotten way into becoming a pilot, and then over time decided there was probably no way I could ever afford that and got into computers instead.

I jumped at the chance, about an hour or so later we were circling San Francisco. It was a perfectly clear cold night, we landed at Napa and then returned to Reid Hillview around 1:30am.

Sometime while circling the city I had moment of clarity. This is what I'm meant to do. I have no money and no ideas, but I have to find a way to make this work.

In the interim there was.... a lot. A lot of hardship, of luck, of hard work, extraordinary friends, and sometimes far more charity than I deserve.

Wild things happened!

My friend who I met on day 1 in dorms ended up teaching me to fly.

I made a snap decision to pursue an A&P on the advice of my faculty advisor... best one moment decision I ever made. Like 2 weeks later 9/11 happened.

A friend volunteered me, in a protest letter to the department chair signed by the entire class, to teach powerplant classes at my Alma Mater and when I asked my boss for advice because I wanted to help these students out but I didn't want to burden him with my absence as I was his only licensed mechanic, he said it would be stupid for me not to pursue that and we would figure out the rest. For 2 years I worked 7 days a week during the school year.

I happened to be involved in a lunchtime conversation that hinted at an opportunity and jumped on it, which led to starting a company which still exists today. 13 years later it's still one of the things I am most proud of.

I got a job at an airline and flew a jet for the first time, and they even let me upgrade.

And a couple days ago... 23 years after telling myself damn the practicality I have to find a way, I gave notice at what I hope is the last "stepping stone" I'll ever need.

It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll.

I'm pretty sure what you're getting at. Congrats ! Whomever it is appears to have gained a hard-working dedicated individual. !!

Last edited:
“Hey, you want to go flying?”

without knowing the details, all I can say is Gratz! Sounds like you are making it. I really want to touch on the quote above, though. Young guys, so many people get their first taste of aviation following that very question. I’ve known many people, myself included, who’s life changed after being asked if they wanted to go flying. I don’t do a lot of ga flying these days, but when I do, I always fill that right seat.

“Hey, you want to go flying?”

without knowing the details, all I can say is Gratz! Sounds like you are making it. I really want to touch on the quote above, though. Young guys, so many people get their first taste of aviation following that very question. I’ve known many people, myself included, who’s life changed after being asked if they wanted to go flying. I don’t do a lot of ga flying these days, but when I do, I always fill that right seat.

It was the definition of a pivotal moment, for sure! I've tried to be that for others, too.

Congrats!!!

AAre yoU AbLe to give DetAiLs on where you are going? I hope you are ending UP Somewhere that makes you happy so that you avoid an unFortunate reDuX of regional life.

(Yeah, that last one was a stretch, but you try finding a phrase with F-D-X in it!)

This took a lot of effort and I like the cut of your jib, sir.

Congrats!!!

AAre yoU AbLe to give DetAiLs on where you are going? I hope you are ending UP Somewhere that makes you happy so that you avoid an unFortunate reDuX of regional life.

(Yeah, that last one was a stretch, but you try finding a phrase with F-D-X in it!)

This was well done. Like, really well done!

Congratulations, R! Couldn’t happen to a better person!

Aww, thanks!

From my perspective it did happen to a better person, he started class this week and I was so happy to hear we'd still be coworkers! No one around here, just someone I knew who absolutely deserved the break.

Well today I finished up this chapter. I was fine until I began saying goodbye to the passengers and then I broke a bit.

I'm gonna miss the little jets I cut my teeth on, they were good to me and, systemic issues aside, the people were too. The last 6 1/2 years seem like the blink of an eye. It's bittersweet to be sure.

But mostly sweet.

Back