California (again, I mean)

My BIL and sister live on the border of LA and Ventura counties.
Ah yes, I know exactly where that would be. “Thousand Pilots!”

Man, too bad I don’t have any real estate-laden relatives about to die in Sal Luis Obispo. I’d move back in a hot second.
A bit of a far drive to be Chief Pilot LAX, you’ll need a separate place to stay between ‘events’ ;)

Congrats. Are you going to be renting, buying in CA.? Selling in ORD, or keeping it as a rental investment and calling Todd to be your PM?
The local equivalent of Todd might be employed. I haven’t decided: owning this place has not been fun in terms of roofs and HOA drama. Though, interestingly, my Episcopalian parish’s priest is looking for a place to live, and there are preliminary discussions about him renting the place too.

This housing market isn’t nearly as bananas as seemingly everywhere else.

Sounds like your -400's are like what UPS went to about five years ago with the PFD's, speed and alt tapes, and all. Three big screens on the panel. Company wanted it to be a home study with the new displays. Union got involved and we got a sim familiarization session. Can you imagine going from one of your -300's to the -400 with just a homestudy.
That flight instrument system of yours is cool. But no, thanks. I’m gonna need a little bit of practice to get my scan back up.

Dude ruuuuuuuuunnnnnnn

“California knows how to party.”

Meh. They sure do know how to tax the living bleep out of you!

My 5 bases all touch the west coast / Pacific coastline. You actually have bases in the middle and east coast. If I was a Delta pilot, I’d be based in a place like SLC or DTW, buying several acres, and making bank while in a (relatively) cheap COL. NE Illinois? I’d do DTW in a heartbeat.

Moving to California doesn’t usually fix problems, it just creates new ones. Unless that is, you have family here? That’s game changer.

I’m any case, congrats I guess. :)

Dude ruuuuuuuuunnnnnnn

“California knows how to party.”

Meh. They sure do know how to tax the living bleep out of you!

My 5 bases all touch the west coast / Pacific coastline. You actually have bases in the middle and east coast. If I was a Delta pilot, I’d be based in a place like SLC or DTW, buying several acres, and making bank while in a (relatively) cheap COL. NE Illinois? I’d do DTW in a heartbeat.

Moving to California doesn’t usually fix problems, it just creates new ones. Unless that is, you have family here? That’s game changer.

I’m any case, congrats I guess. :)
SLC ain't cheap no more. Lots of CA. people moving there, driving up cost of living. Still not at CA. prices, but you're not getting a one bedroom/studio apt. under $1400. And 1500 sq. ft. starter houses are starting at $300k. Affordable for a CA. who sells their $1.5 mil house and bought at 3500 sq. ft. 5 bedroom 4 bath in SLC 10 yrs. ago for $180-200k, and still has tons of cash left over and drove up cost. But for everyone else, not so much.

SLC ain't cheap no more. Lots of CA. people moving there, driving up cost of living. Still not at CA. prices, but you're not getting a one bedroom/studio apt. under $1400. And 1500 sq. ft. starter houses are starting at $300k. Affordable for a CA. who sells their $1.5 mil house and bought at 3500 sq. ft. 5 bedroom 4 bath in SLC 10 yrs. ago for $180-200k, and still has tons of cash left over and drove up cost. But for everyone else, not so much.

Heck man, the west has a higher cost of living regardless of Californians. It’s all us middle-aged people who bought houses when “OMG, you bought a $300K house? Look out for fancy wanna-be captain buying a house he can’t afford because he’s on FO pay”.

That guy moving down from Seattle to Scottsdale because he’s tired of the weather isn’t exactly bringing DOWN housing prices. We hilariously go from “OMG the price of housing! But, in the same sentence, gleefully refresh ZIllow in awe over the equity they have in their home with the increased market value”.

Who gutted Millennials? Us (Gen X and the boomers)

Heck man, the west has a higher cost of living regardless of Californians. It’s all us middle-aged people who bought houses when “OMG, you bought a $300K house? Look out for fancy wanna-be captain buying a house he can’t afford because he’s on FO pay”.

That guy moving down from Seattle to Scottsdale because he’s tired of the weather isn’t exactly bringing DOWN housing prices. We hilariously go from “OMG the price of housing! But, in the same sentence, gleefully refresh ZIllow in awe over the equity they have in their home with the increased market value”.

Anthem went from $350k for a 3500 sq. ft. house in 2016, to $800k in today's world.

When I was considering staying in MT and commuting we looked at moving from Billings to Bozeman and freaked out when we saw the median home price was 850k there, that was two years ago it is approaching 1 million now.

It was cheaper to move back to Denver so that is what we did, luckily my MT born wife had no problem coming back down either.

When I was considering staying in MT and commuting we looked at moving from Billings to Bozeman and freaked out when we saw the median home price was 850k there, that was two years ago it is approaching 1 million now.

It was cheaper to move back to Denver so that is what we did, luckily my MT born wife had no problem coming back down either.
MT. and ID. is a triple whammy. Fleeing Californians and fleeing Oregoners and fleeing Washington State citizens. I heard about 8-10 yrs ago a decent house cost $150k in Boise, and you could get an apartment for $500-800 a month.

It used to be the winters would run the tenderfoots out of Montana but with the advent of work from home and having groceries and other necessities delivered more and more of them have been staying. That stupid TV show didn't help either, when I came back to work and told people I commuted from Montana everyone told me how much they loved the show and wanted to move there. Then I explained I lived in the biggest city in the state which while on clear days you can see mountains it is really on the plains and just an ugly industrial small urban area.

It is even seeing migration into it from all over, the one thing it has going for it is its relative affordability.

I don’t think anyone is denying that. Gen X and Boomers will represent the generations that got theirs and pulled the ladder up (zoning laws, squashed new construction, made it tougher to build, etc).

Or me. @Cherokee_Cruiser acts as if I didn’t live in the Bay Area on RJ copilot pay. Before Chop Childs shook his seat cushions in a desperate attempt to keep literally anyone, that is.

Back in a time when some parts of the Bay were still somewhat affordable. Today? Forget it.

And I don’t know what “chop child’s shook his seat cushions” means. Can you say again, in simple English?

MT. and ID. is a triple whammy. Fleeing Californians and fleeing Oregoners and fleeing Washington State citizens. I heard about 8-10 yrs ago a decent house cost $150k in Boise, and you could get an apartment for $500-800 a month.

They flee those states, yet continue voting the same way - completely forgetting why they had flee those states in the first place.

Idaho has become a hot spot for back country flying. Suddenly every SuperCub, Husky or Skywagon is in Idaho. That isn't helping prices there either.

Back