CFI debacle

averyrm

What a ride it's been thus far. . .

I started training at an FBO with a newer instructor (one not capable of signing off on a CFI ride) with the promise to start flying with the chief instructor and get everything taken care of. Well, the chief instructor left the company as I was training (he was the one who also told me I could work there when I was done) and so I continue training with the hope that a new instructor will be brought on who could sign me off. After about a month of waiting for the instructor, I change FBOs.

And it’s down to the new place (1.5 hour drive, each way) to start flying with another instructor who can’t give me the signoff. I get a call halfway through training at this new place that the first FBO had a guy who could train me, but I enjoy the new place and have progressed well so I stay. After a handful of flights, I do some training with the owner of the company (also a DE) and get signed off to do the check ride.

Fly a x-country this last weekend to watch a football game, and when I return on Sunday my flight bag is missing from my plane (with my logbook in it!). The best part is my check ride is scheduled for Wednesday. So I put many, many phone calls in trying to reach the airport, but they don't hold regular hours and so I can’t get a hold of anyone. So I call AOPA, call the FSDO, and thank God I backed up my logbook electronically. I print off the logbook, and make preparations to get all of my endorsements again. Get a call from the airport that they found my bag! Have a friend from school drive to the airport and now my logbook is being overnighted and should be here tomorrow before noon (the day before my check ride). So I'm going slightly less crazy now.

I’m almost positive I left my bag in the aircraft so I have no idea why it was in the FBO. I suppose I could have brought it in when I used the restroom, but who knows, I’m just happy I have my logbook.

Now on to studying even more for the check ride as I hope the USPS doesn't lose my logbook. I’ll post again on how the ride turns out after I get back from it on Wednesday.

Yeesh... I'da been screwed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif... I haven't fully loaded all my logbook into the computer....

Thank goodness I don't need any more ratings for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glad to hear all turned out OK so far! Good Luck!

Dude, good luck. It sounds like after all that snafus you are on the right track to get your CFI. Let us know how it turns out.

OUT-FRIGGIN-STANDING!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bandit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

averym---did you by chance take your ride with Leo, Brad, who?? I am from the TOL area too and just getting ready for my ride. Where did you do your training? I remember you talking about a job at Suburban, did you get it? Let me know brother--any advice is good advice. Congratulations! PM me the details if you get the chance!

Did the ride with leo, trained with Brad down at Tiffin - working on the CFII before I can get a job at suburban

Details on the checkride in the checkride forum

avery---yeah I am pretty sure I saw you down at tiffin last Saturday! You took 2130U to Oxford to watch the Miami game? Congrats again on passing... I have a few friends that went with Leo and they loved it!!

Back