Another dream aircraft thread

n57flyguy said:
Beastly!!! I love the sound of helos.

Yo, pick me up in a chinook at school, Ill be the coolest kid around, then take me up to NY and give me some instruction!

Okay... the first step would be for you to turn 17. Then the next step would be for you to enliust in the Army. Then you could get all the Chinook rides you want. ;)

Actually, I have a hard enough time getting myself on a Chinook these days.

ChinookDriver said:
Okay... the first step would be for you to turn 17. Then the next step would be for you to enliust in the Army. Then you could get all the Chinook rides you want. ;)

Actually, I have a hard enough time getting myself on a Chinook these days.

Okay, I definitely dont have enough time for that. WHy is it hard for you to fly in them now?

n57flyguy said:
Okay, I definitely dont have enough time for that. WHy is it hard for you to fly in them now?

Because I'm an ROTC instructor for the next 2 1/2 years... no Chinook flying until then.

ChinookDriver said:
Because I'm an ROTC instructor for the next 2 1/2 years... no Chinook flying until then.

What are you instructing in now? sorry, dont know anythign about the ROTC thing.

One of the coolest flights I have ever been on was in the jumpseat in the Chinhook looking at christmas lights (uuhhmm sorry I mean getting a new WO night current.)

n57flyguy said:
What are you instructing in now? sorry, dont know anythign about the ROTC thing.

The Army has a college Reserve Officer Training Program at 272 major colleges across the US. Its purpose is to train and commission 2nd Lieutenants into the active army, nat'l guard, and reserves. It is one of four ways for someone to become an Officer. (The others are Officer Candidate School, West Point, and Direct Commission). ROTC is a 2 - 4 year program which focuses on physical fitness, values, ethics, small unit tactics, and most importantly, leadership. You take it in conjunction with your regular college classes.

Army Officers (like me) who have already commanded a company get assigned to positions for 2-3 years outside their basic branch in order to diversify their careers and share experiences. Thus, no helo flying for me. But it is a great job, I love teaching at a university, and the cadets are great.

I always thought if I did it all over again I would try to go in as a 2nd LT. Heres why, you can play dumb private, get paid decent, and you don't have to buff floors. All a win win in my book.

scottyboy75 said:
I always thought if I did it all over again I would try to go in as a 2nd LT. Heres why, you can play dumb private, get paid decent, and you don't have to buff floors. All a win win in my book.

Sigh... you trying to get a rise out of me?

I always thought if I did it all over again I would try to go in as a 2nd LT. Heres why, you can play dumb private, get paid decent, and you don't have to buff floors.

When I was enlisted that is what I thought, although that is not why I went from enlisted to officer. Anyway, it wasn't until my commander was absent for drill and I just happen to walk into a company full of warrant officers and crewchiefs that I earned my money as an LT (talk about getting caught off guard). Its like trying to round up a herd of cats. I know chinook knows what I am talking about.

BTW Chinook, can you fly with a national guard or reserve unit? I know it all depends on whether the unit is willing to use its training money on you, but you could sweet talk yourself into it. Are there any CH-47s up in NY. How about OH-58s?

UH60driver said:
When I was enlisted that is what I thought, although that is not why I went from enlisted to officer. Anyway, it wasn't until my commander was absent for drill and I just happen to walk into a company full of warrant officers and crewchiefs that I earned my money as an LT (talk about getting caught off guard). Its like trying to round up a herd of cats. I know chinook knows what I am talking about.

BTW Chinook, can you fly with a national guard or reserve unit? I know it all depends on whether the unit is willing to use its training money on you, but you could sweet talk yourself into it. Are there any CH-47s up in NY. How about OH-58s?

Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about.

And yeah, they have 47s and 58s right here at our airport. But my understanding is that I can't fly because I am slotted in a "non-operational flying position." If you know different, I'd love to hear!

Just kidding. Not about the buffing of floors though. I hated it. Everytime I work nights and walk through the hospital I buy the guy buffing the floors something to drink. I did work with some LT's in the 82nd who I gave mad props.

Here are some of my favorite. HMX-1, H-53, and the beautiful supper guppy.

MVC-008S.jpg

MVC-022S.jpg

guppy1_c.jpg

n57flyguy said:
Super guppy= no helo;) :p

Would be fun to fly none the less.

Hey Chinook, what are you teaching though?

Army ROTC! Reference post 27! I teach college students how to become Army Officers.

Back