Another dream aircraft thread

RynoB

That One Guy
We've all seen the threads about what is your dream aircraft to fly. Here is one for the helo guys and gals. What is your dream helicopter to fly.

Mine is probably the Bell 407 or 430.

Fixed wingers can answer too. After all, I just have 5 hours of dual in a Robbie.

RynoB said:
We've all seen the threads about what is your dream aircraft to fly. Here is one for the helo guys and gals. What is your dream helicopter to fly.

Mine is probably the Bell 407 or 430.

Fixed wingers can answer too. After all, I just have 5 hours of dual in a Robbie.

V-22

A bell 430 is my avatar!!!

Speaking of the V-22, and a total thread hijack, what do you guys/gals think of it? I mean, it's been in development for how many decades now??? Do you consider it a helo, or more fixed wing, and how would you log it? Just curious.

My dream, since it's open to us fixed wing guys is the Hind. That just looks like a mean machine.

txpilot said:
Speaking of the V-22, and a total thread hijack, what do you guys/gals think of it? I mean, it's been in development for how many decades now??? Do you consider it a helo, or more fixed wing, and how would you log it? Just curious.

My dream, since it's open to us fixed wing guys is the Hind. That just looks like a mean machine.

Man, I don't know. I would be wary of that thing belonging to the fixed-wing community. I think it's a definate example of something that people would need to be dual rated to get in too. And until it has a proven safety record, I wouldn't touch it.

As of how to log it... great question! I have no flippin' idea. Maybe when you're hovering lof it helo and flying log it AMEL. Or pick and choose depending on what you need? Or more likely, they come out with a whole new category and class.

definately a huey... although we had an apache land at our open house, and I must say that that thing was smokin' hot! I love how the gun is synced to the pilots head

ChinookDriver said:
Man, I don't know. I would be wary of that thing belonging to the fixed-wing community. I think it's a definate example of something that people would need to be dual rated to get in too. And until it has a proven safety record, I wouldn't touch it.

As of how to log it... great question! I have no flippin' idea. Maybe when you're hovering lof it helo and flying log it AMEL. Or pick and choose depending on what you need? Or more likely, they come out with a whole new category and class.
Isn't that the powered lift rating? I never knew what powered lift was, but since the feds group it with rotors I assumed it was for tiltrotors and the like.

FAR part 1:

"Powered-lift means a heavier-than-air aircraft capable of vertical takeoff, vertical landing, and low speed flight that depends principally on engine-driven lift devices or engine thrust for lift during these flight regimes and on nonrotating airfoil(s) for lift during horizontal flight."

And to answer the question, I think the V-22 will be a great aircraft. It is just new technology and takes a while to work out the bugs with something that complex. I saw an artists rendition of an aircraft that Boeing was thinking of building. It looked like a C-130 with 4 turbines and no tail, but was a tilt-rotor. They called it the Advanced Theater Transport. It can't take of or land vertically but can use strips as short as 750 feet.

RynoB said:
Isn't that the powered lift rating? I never knew what powered lift was, but since the feds group it with rotors I assumed it was for tiltrotors and the like.

FAR part 1:

"Powered-lift means a heavier-than-air aircraft capable of vertical takeoff, vertical landing, and low speed flight that depends principally on engine-driven lift devices or engine thrust for lift during these flight regimes and on nonrotating airfoil(s) for lift during horizontal flight."

And to answer the question, I think the V-22 will be a great aircraft. It is just new technology and takes a while to work out the bugs with something that complex. I saw an artists rendition of an aircraft that Boeing was thinking of building. It looked like a C-130 with 4 turbines and no tail, but was a tilt-rotor. They called it the Advanced Theater Transport. It can't take of or land vertically but can use strips as short as 750 feet.

Check out the Bell one, its for corporate under the thread "this thing is sweet"

RynoB said:

FAR part 1:

I always wondered what powered lift was... I guess that makes sense!

RynoB,

Thanks for the info. I never looked up what they considered powered lift. Sounds like that is where it would go. I am assuming that is going to be the new wave of aircraft, since so much R & D has been going into it over the last 20 years or so.

I like some of the European birds my dream is to fly an Alouette III. In my mind nothing better. She can fly high, hot, and heavy.

I think a robbie 44 parked in my yard will do. Small enough to fit in a couple of acres of land, big enough to carry my family, and quiet enough for the neighborhood.

Actually during start up the 44 is louder than the Bell 430. (this is based on an unscinetific poll I conducted on the ramp) I watched Airmed startup next to our 44.

Really, I would have thought it was quieter. Still, it doesn't get as loud as other helicopters... Chinook for example ha ha ha.

Yeah, it is not really a fair comparison. The 430 is really quiet. The tail rotor is about the loudest thing on it.

UH60driver said:
Really, I would have thought it was quieter. Still, it doesn't get as loud as other helicopters... Chinook for example ha ha ha.

Oh no no... the Chinook has a "stealth" switch just like AirWolf did. :rawk:

ChinookDriver said:
Oh no no... the Chinook has a "stealth" switch just like AirWolf did. :rawk:

Beastly!!! I love the sound of helos.

Yo, pick me up in a chinook at school, Ill be the coolest kid around, then take me up to NY and give me some instruction!

Back