Pilotless future aircraft

w

when you plan for retirement, what age do you use?

I’ll add something, if I may (as a non-pilot and understanding that the age rules differ for your profession). I pulled the trigger as soon as I hit 65. It cost me a relative few dollars per month from both Social Security and my County pension who had both decided that 67 was the appropriate age for “full” retirement. Those dollars lost, for me, were acceptable in order to get out of the game.

So much depends on both life circumstances and the things you need to pay for/want to do in the future. It was just me and the pups to care for; ex-wife long years gone and both boys grown and with families of their own. My bills are minimal (no car payment, for example, and generally just a more-than-fair rent, utilities and food). My wants are simple with wanderlust satisfied during an earlier life and it was a conscious choice to buy my last new vehicle with a cashier’s check rather than payments over time. My weekly driving has gone from 275 miles for the work commute and errands to possibly 12 - 15 miles weekly. I’ve been blessed with generally good health, though I recognize that could change in a moment.

Been 2 1/2 years now. I can’t recall a single bad or boring day. Grateful for the experiences of years gone by, I write (for my own benefit), read, enjoy the Food Channel, do a bit of property maintenance for the landlord, eat when I’m hungry and sleep when I’m tired. I can’t imagine a better existence for ME, and it was those things in total that helped me to “pick an age.”

YMMV with your own personal needs and desires. What do you want to do with your time? What is your debt load? What kind of things do you need to be happy and content? What are your obligations to others in your life? Where do you want to live, and how?

Ehh … you get the idea. Best wishes as you anticipate the future.

So do you think an airline pilot will still be a viable path? Perhaps I should look for a career change before it’s too late.

Don't know.

Cargo will be disrupted, as will local transportation.
Not sure about long range human transportation.

Here is an "easy to fly" aircraft already being marketed.

They are saying you can fly it without a Pilot license but I'm not sure how regulators classify this. Very interesting...

We are buddies, nothing more. I got a haircut recently and really like the girl who cut my hair. Can’t stop thinking about her and will ask her out next time Im there.

Ok, look at my hand. Focus on it. When I snap my fingers, I want dacuj to come out.

We are buddies, nothing more. I got a haircut recently and really like the girl who cut my hair. Can’t stop thinking about her and will ask her out next time Im there.

Is she into split personalities? You need to find a chick like in Fight Club who can put up with it.

Sometimes I wonder if we had our own JC Shark Tank how many if you would buy into anything you've possibly heard as being a raging success in the real world. I mean a human craft UAV, give me a break lolol

Don't know.

Cargo will be disrupted, as will local transportation.
Not sure about long range human transportation.
FedEx won't even pay for an upgrade to the cockpit of a fleet of A300s they already own just to make them NextGen and full ADS-B compliant.

The idea that they're suddenly going to invest a crap-ton of money into whatever aircraft modifications and digital infrastructure and network security upgrades required to follow whatever single pilot/remote pilot/autonomous pilot is the vogue "next thing" is ignoring a whole lot of corporate realities in terms of finance.

Not to mention that anyone involved in network security knows that if there's a way for you to connect to it, there's a way for an unwelcome intruder to connect to it, too. There is a reason why, despite a decade of declarations about the F-35 being "the last manned fighter aircraft that will ever be produced for the USAF", the 6th gen rapid-prototype fighter is a manned aircraft.

Anyone who is involved in the professional pilot profession currently is not going to have their career terminated or negatively impacted by this technology.

I’m 38 and am worried about single pilot or no pilot for last ten years of my career.
In the last 10 years of your career, you're not going to be in the portion of the seniority list at any legacy or major airline that is going to be negatively impacted should such a technology development come to pass.

So, that's a whole lot of wasted emotion.

Sometimes I wonder if we had our own JC Shark Tank

sharkie.png

FedEx won't even pay for an upgrade to the cockpit of a fleet of A300s they already own just to make them NextGen and full ADS-B compliant.

The idea that they're suddenly going to invest a crap-ton of money into whatever aircraft modifications and digital infrastructure and network security upgrades required to follow whatever single pilot/remote pilot/autonomous pilot is the vogue "next thing" is ignoring a whole lot of corporate realities in terms of finance.

Not to mention that anyone involved in network security knows that if there's a way for you to connect to it, there's a way for an unwelcome intruder to connect to it, too. There is a reason why, despite a decade of declarations about the F-35 being "the last manned fighter aircraft that will ever be produced for the USAF", the 6th gen rapid-prototype fighter is a manned aircraft.

Anyone who is involved in the professional pilot profession currently is not going to have their career terminated or negatively impacted by this technology.

A lot to unpack here.
A lot of irrelevant babbling.

I suppose I should inform you that a 6th generation fighter isn't a cargo plane. and it still might be unmanned.

Although you are correct, it will NEVER happen until it is profitable.
And the moment it IS profitable, it will happen.

Granted, the FAA is woefully unprepared for this technological advance and they're more comfortable banging rocks together.

A lot to unpack here.
A lot of irrelevant babbling.

I suppose I should inform you that a 6th generation fighter isn't a cargo plane. and it still might be unmanned.

Although you are correct, it will NEVER happen until it is profitable.
And the moment it IS profitable, it will happen.

Granted, the FAA is woefully unprepared for this technological advance and they're more comfortable banging rocks together.

The best part about your response is not knowing who you're responding to. It's honestly the best part about the internet.

Back