Am I the only one who hates hearing PA's like this?

It's funny that most CEOs and higher-ups of a service-oriented industry have little to no idea how berating some goofy act like this can be to other employees or how the actual employees are treated. For instance, in Cold Stone Creamery, the employees must sing and dance when you leave a tip, no matter how small the tip. That would suck. At least I don't have to do that.

It's funny that most CEOs and higher-ups of a service-oriented industry have little to no idea how berating some goofy act like this can be to other employees or how the actual employees are treated. For instance, in Cold Stone Creamery, the employees must sing and dance when you leave a tip, no matter how small the tip. That would suck. At least I don't have to do that.

Eh, I used to have to sing stupid birthday songs when I was a server at a restaurant. Just part of the job. Harmonicas over PAs at 0545 is a bit much, but at the very least it provides a bit of culture to differentiate the airline from the other sad sacks running around. :)

I've done that, too. I just always felt that when working crappy retail jobs, the C-level management didn't really care what it was like despite having little to no experience there.

Harmonicas over PAs at 0545 is a bit much, but at the very least it provides a bit of culture to differentiate the airline from the other sad sacks running around. :)

If it had NOT been 0545, say, 1000... it would have been tolerable. I'd have just ignored it and not though much of it. I would have thought it kinda dumb and excessive, but it would not have had the same extreme offensiveness that it did because of the sheer hour of the morning.

Eh, I used to have to sing stupid birthday songs when I was a server at a restaurant. Just part of the job. Harmonicas over PAs at 0545 is a bit much, but at the very least it provides a bit of culture to differentiate the airline from the other sad sacks running around. :)
I have lots of restaurant experience and never once had to sing happy birthday. Thankfully.

Two things about PA:

1) our FAs are directed per their FAM to introduce us as CA "first name" assisted by FO "first name", as far as I know; could also be by memo

2) I second DAL being an offender of the overuse of PA. Particularly, I can't imagine any HVC sitting in Business wants to hear about the Coach meal selections while they are trying to enjoy their cocktails/meals/IFE. It would be sweet if a cabin-class specific PA were possible.

Two things about PA:

1) our FAs are directed per their FAM to introduce us as CA "first name" assisted by FO "first name", as far as I know; could also be by memo

2) I second DAL being an offender of the overuse of PA. Particularly, I can't imagine any HVC sitting in Business wants to hear about the Coach meal selections while they are trying to enjoy their cocktails/meals/IFE. It would be sweet if a cabin-class specific PA were possible.
I'm suprised they even anounce that...Your typical Int't meal selection is something along the lines of something that resembles Chicken vs.something that resembles Beef

Back when I was flying, I tried to be more personable with the customers. I thought it was good to try and make them feel relaxed and "at home" of sorts. Looking back, I dunno, I can't say it was the best course of action. Because when the S hit the fan, they needed someone there to take charge and order. Hard to take a Captain seriously in an emergency when they were just playing a harmonica.

Now as a police officer, I'm always Officer Sxxxxx. No first names, EVER. I don't even write my first name on tickets, reports, etc. Always just my last name. Even fellow officers call me by my last name. It's about respect, professionalism, and authority. My wife, parents, and some friends call me by my first name. No stranger I just met.

If I were to jump back into the cockpit, I'd definitely always introduce myself as Captain Sxxxxx or F/O Sxxxxx. Not because of ego, but because of authority and respect. Some will scoff at the idea of it. But if you want respect for the profession, you're going to have to demand it by your actions and demeanor.

Back when I was flying, I tried to be more personable with the customers. I thought it was good to try and make them feel relaxed and "at home" of sorts. Looking back, I dunno, I can't say it was the best course of action. Because when the S hit the fan, they needed someone there to take charge and order. Hard to take a Captain seriously in an emergency when they were just playing a harmonica.

Now as a police officer, I'm always Officer Sxxxxx. No first names, EVER. I don't even write my first name on tickets, reports, etc. Always just my last name. Even fellow officers call me by my last name. It's about respect, professionalism, and authority. My wife, parents, and some friends call me by my first name. No stranger I just met.

If I were to jump back into the cockpit, I'd definitely always introduce myself as Captain Sxxxxx or F/O Sxxxxx. Not because of ego, but because of authority and respect. Some will scoff at the idea of it. But if you want respect for the profession, you're going to have to demand it by your actions and demeanor.

I'm with you however I think authority and respect take a backseat nowadays to a fraternity like atmosphere. It's pervasive.

The USAirways credit card sales pitch mid flight ranks up there in the miserable PA department.

RE: people not paying attention to the safety briefing. I fly an aircraft with only a copilot door in front, and it has both a side latch and a top latch. Naturally part of the safety briefing is the fact that the door has two latches, and the top one must be opened first. 99% of the time the person riding shotgun, at the end of the flight, pulls the side handle and looks perplexed when the door doesn't open. I proceed to reach over their head, pop the top latch, and open the door for them. They then attempt to get up with their seat belt still fastened. I swear, if I ever actually do need to get out in a hurry, the copilot passenger is going to get used as a ladder for my exit out of the aircraft and see the soles of my shoes disappearing as I jump off the wing before they even realize we're on the ground. The "subtract 99 IQ points" rule seems to apply just as much for air taxi aircraft as it does for airline terminals.

the destination (we ALREADY know!)
Heh, destination is a staple of my passenger briefing...but without ticket scanners its a lot easier for people to get on the wrong plane (or wrong airline!).
The real reason, though, is to remind myself of where we're going...might sound funny but after about the 10th leg of 15 for the day it gets a lot harder to remember.

Two things about PA:

Where do you work, I do not want to work there.

Heh, destination is a staple of my passenger briefing...but without ticket scanners its a lot easier for people to get on the wrong plane (or wrong airline!).
The real reason, though, is to remind myself of where we're going...might sound funny but after about the 10th leg of 15 for the day it gets a lot harder to remember.
We have people get on the wrong airplane, too. It does happen. Especially when there's two of them parked there and nobody to tell you that the one on the right is going to <other small Californian city>, not <small California city you want to go to today>.

The USAirways credit card sales pitch mid flight ranks up there in the miserable PA department.

Considering the FAs are getting a nice commision for every application they get, it doesn't bother me to much. It sucks that they have to do that to supplement their income, but it is what it is.

We have people get on the wrong airplane, too. It does happen. Especially when there's two of them parked there and nobody to tell you that the one on the right is going to <other small Californian city>, not <small California city you want to go to today>.

Hell, it's not even always the passengers fault! I know somebody who was flying a certain regional airline from JFK-CVG late at night. Well, at the same time, there was another flight going from JFK-IND(?). Both flights were full, and both flights needed two buses to get the passengers to their remote parked aircraft. Somewhere along the way, two of the buses went to the wrong aircraft. Amazingly, neither flight made an announcement on their destination (or if they did, a bunch of people didn't pay attention) and neither F/A had the light bulb go off that a bunch of passengers had the same seats.

Needless to say, there were a bunch of pissed off people upon landing at both IND and CVG.

I don't mind PAs but when the plane has an IFE it pauses my movie and THAT pisses me off to no end.
I hate to say it but it's delta that is the biggest abuser of the pa.
Especially when it's a 10 hour flight and the aging POS PTVs pause during the PA, then freeze and need to be reset after every one.

Hell, it's not even always the passengers fault! I know somebody who was flying a certain regional airline from JFK-CVG late at night. Well, at the same time, there was another flight going from JFK-IND(?). Both flights were full, and both flights needed two buses to get the passengers to their remote parked aircraft. Somewhere along the way, two of the buses went to the wrong aircraft. Amazingly, neither flight made an announcement on their destination (or if they did, a bunch of people didn't pay attention) and neither F/A had the light bulb go off that a bunch of passengers had the same seats.

Needless to say, there were a bunch of pissed off people upon landing at both IND and CVG.
Is this regional airline going away September 1, 2012 or thereabouts?

Edit: In my Eagle days, I briefly flew out of LAX, down at the Box. We were about eight minutes prior to door closing and push time and the agent came running up, "We have one passenger across the way on the wrong airplane but I don't care, you guys are going! I don't want to take a delay!" Somehow the poor guy had gone to the wrong door, gotten past the electronic gate reader, and then gotten on the airplane.

We went without him or her. I was unhappy.

Back