The right time is never... right?

JDean3204

I know that I have become the king of long and drawn out posts lately. I usually get great advice from guys and gals I respect very much here in the JC community. So with that, here is my next family concern...KIDS

A little background about myself and my wife. We have been together for almost 10 years now. When she was 18 and I was 20, she moved all the way from our hometown in Oregon to Virginia to be with me. She has been by my side through two lengthy military deployments, the civilian flight training process and now during my regional airline days. She never has complained to me about it, always being supportive and happy seeing me grow as a pilot and a person. Even during my first gig where I made a miserable 16K in 2015, she didn't complain. In fact, she has taken this opportunity to grow herself professionally. She doesn't have a degree or anything, but a good work ethic has gotten her a stable county job that pays around 35-40K with amazing health benefits. I have known for years that I want to have children with my wife, but we've been waiting for me to reach a point where it makes sense.

My wife gets more and more passionate about the topic of children. In the last year I have been more open to talking about it, and we were planning on trying this summer for our first child. I was going to be based at home, and we were very excited to finally build our family. However, I unfortunately lost that job and found myself starting over again at another airline. I am now on the very tail end of training, I will be commuting again but it shouldn't be for too long I hope. A few months at the most. So we have decided to wait until the beginning of the year to start trying. She was my backbone the last few months, and never pressured me with family or kids while I dusted myself off and got back on the horse so to speak. At the same time she comes from a culture where let's just say people have kids generally sooner versus later in life. I am a few months from 30 and she is now 28. I know we're not old by any means, but we really didn't plan on leaving it this long. Most of our friends from the military have multiple children together now, her younger sisters have children and so I don't blame her for the baby fever she is experiencing lately. To be honest I feel the same way, I really want to wait until I upgrade, but that is a few years away and then... what will be my next thought process? Wait until I'm at a major, then wait until I upgrade at said major. The time will never feel right. I feel very selfish for being so concentrated on my career, that her dreams of being a mother have had to wait to come to fruition. It has lately taken a toll on me, and I have even thought about quitting flying to get a more stable job that may not pay as well in the future, but will be a good job to be a family man....Then my wife knocks some sense back into me and tells me that she would feel responsible if I quit flying. That I have worked way too hard and am way too much of a nerd to not fly for a living

Obviously money is always a concern when having children. We have worked extremely hard to pay off debt together and now have only the normal debt. Car payments, rent and associated costs, which are quite high in Portland these days. The rising Cost of Living stresses me out, it has risen furiously in the last few years. Our credit card debt and my "supplemental living expense debt" have been paid off thanks to some good bonus money. For the first time in five years, we have savings, not very much but better than living paycheck to paycheck like we have been. So we finally feel somewhat financially stable, but a child I feel will turn that upside down. Since I will be mostly gone for work, she will have to cut back most of her hours and work part time. She plans on working enough to keep those awesome health benefits. Although my airline pays pretty well for industry standards, it is still regional FO pay. About 40-50K for the next few years. That will be tough to live on if my wife cannot work I am sure, so that is one thing racing through my mind. I have asked a few pilot friends about this, they all say the same thing. They tell me to wait until I make it to a major, but who am I kidding. I have faced the music, with my roadblocks and a few marks, I am not a tier 1 candidate by any means. So it will take time for me to reach that step. I still need thousands of hours and a 4 year degree. If I am lucky, in 7 years I may be there. That will put me at 37 and my wife 35. if I wait that long I may not have a wife anymore, she has made it very clear she has patiently waited for me to reset and start a new career. She knows that we would have had a few kids by now if that new GI Bill didn't come out in 2009 giving me a chance to afford civilian flight training.

The one concern I have being a pilot besides the financial aspect is about being a good father. Knowing that I will be gone more than at home scares me. I know my wife is very independent right now by her self, but will that change with kids? Will she resent me for going to work? Will my kids resent me for being gone, at times missing important milestones? I am grateful for having a good father growing up. He was my little league coach, he was at every wrestling tournament and always made sure I was doing well. My parents didn't make much money and never could have afforded to put me through state college let alone a college like ERAU or UND, and I knew that. They did raise me to dream big though, that is why I am where I am now. It may have taken me a while to get here, but I made it and my parents are more proud of me now than ever. That is because of them, and I want to raise my kids with that same mentality, to be as much as an influence on them as my folks have been on me. I know these are all issues that one has to tackle upon news of their first child, at that point there is no turning back and it's time to be a man or woman and be the best parent you can be. I just want to hear from someone that had kids in the early stages of their career and made it work. Hearing how they balanced it all out to be both successful as a pilot and a father/mother will be great to hear.

Last edited:
TL,DR (most of it,) but yeah, if you're waiting for the perfect time to have kids you're gonna die childless.

You make it work with kids as a pilot, if you want to be a good father. I got four kids. We celebrated birthdays when I was home, doesn't have to be on the exact day. We did two Christmases. One for just us, usually a week early, and one on the 25th with their cousins. They grew up believing that Santa made a special run for pilots because we had to help him on the 24/25th. When I could finally hold it off, they wanted me to pick up a trip because now they were only going to get one Christmas.

They got to go and see things their friends may never get a chance at. Snorkeling in St Kitts, zip lining in Jamaica, caving in Mexico, kayaking in Belize.

If you ask my kids, they wouldn't want it any other way.

Last edited:
Go for it, you'll make it work.
The wife will feel like her workload quadrupled, so do your absolute best to help around the house when you are home - cook a meal and do the dishes, help cleaning up and so forth - minor things. In my experience it is those chores that drag them down when the kids come.

while your post title is true, I'd caution you to think very carefully about starting a family while still on probation at your second regional after being let go from the first. JMHO.

I have 3 kids. Kids are the best thing to ever happen to me and made my life complete in a way I never understood before.

If you want kids, have em! That said, having kids pretty much totally redirected my career, being gone all the time wasn't really my thing after kids.

while your post title is true, I'd caution you to think very carefully about starting a family while still on probation at your second regional after being let go from the first. JMHO.

Well, if we start at the beginning of the year and somehow get pregnant right away. I'll no longer be on probation when the baby is born. Even if she was to get pregnant right now, I would be on probation for one month after the baby is born, pretty sure I can make that work and not get canned again. Thanks for your thoughtful input though, always appreciate it.

Well, if we start at the beginning of the year and somehow get pregnant right away. I'll no longer be on probation when the baby is born. Even if she was to get pregnant right now, I would be on probation for one month after the baby is born, pretty sure I can make that work and not get canned again. Thanks for your thoughtful input though, always appreciate it.

If this is the logic that you're using I'd recommend buying a very large box of condoms.

The concern isn't probation with kids, it's getting canned and then still having to support a kid. This will happen even if you get pregnant before the probational year is over.

If this is the logic that you're using I'd recommend buying a very large box of condoms.

The concern isn't probation with kids, it's getting canned and then still having to support a kid. This will happen even if you get pregnant before the probational year is over.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it

If you want to have kids, have kids. If you don't want to have kids, don't have kids.

Holidays, weekends, birthdays, whatever are when you decide to throw them.

"Dads at work during your piano recital because piano lessons are expensive and you keep getting hungry up to three times per day" :)

Please don't take it as criticism. Getting let go and having to start over at another 121 isn't like your garden variety job change and having a little one in the house is stressful enough without being on probation. My opinion only as father of two, take it for what it's worth.

@Derg said it pretty well:

Have them if you want to. Don't have them if you don't want to. If you have them, you'll figure out a way to make it work.

Plus my parents worked a lot of weekends and holidays as well.

You know, it really doesn't matter as much as people say it does when it comes to child development and it's a good exposure to "work ethic" of having to get off your ass, show up to work when expected and perform a job like a No Drama Llama!

I grew up with an airline dad, we knew nothing else, when he was home there were no work distractions and we got to do a lot of traveling. When he was gone I think it was the hardest on my mom as that's when the fecal matter hit the fan (boiler breaking down in the middle of winter was a fun one). Now with my own mini-me I can't believe I waited this long to have one. She's the coolest person ever in my unbiased opinion and I don't know what I was doing with my life before she joined our family.

I had all of my kids as an FE and an FO. You make it work. You learn to do coupons, fix decent but inexpensive meals, learn how to cut back, stay out of debt, buy used cars, buy used furniture and other items, etc. Playing board games, having picnics, bike rides, playing in the woods or the beach, game nights at home, playing music and dancing, making cookies, sand dozens of other activities are all free. And the kids love those moments. Those are the times that they will actually remember for the rest of their lives. All the things you did as a Dad and as a family, and not what price tag was attached to them and not what date birthdays or holidays were celebrated.

No one is ever prepared to be a parent, no matter how much you ruminate over it, try to prepare and plan. The best job in the world is being a parent. It's scary, unexpectant things can come up, it can cost a few bucks, it's a lot of work, etc. But, it's also joyful, meaningful, wonderful and full of amazing surprises. Start trying. Your wife isn't going to get pregnant immediately anyways. When both people are on the same page and committed, you can make anything work out.

Have a couple of baby showers, one for family and friends and one for co-workers. You can pretty much get all the furniture and stuff you need for the baby that way. Get some hand me downs from friends and relatives who have had kids. Besides, we Grandparents are a weak lot. We'll cough up just about anything for that baby. lol Rely on us to help out, we will always be there for you and the grand babies, for as long as we live.

My Dad flew at United also. It's all we ever knew as kids and everything worked out fine. He was a wonderful man and a very good Father. That was all that mattered to us. And these days with all the electronics and software available it's even easier to communicate, talk one on one in live camera chat and stay in touch on a daily basis. Plus as mentioned, we did get some awesome experiences and travel opportunities that we probably would not have had otherwise.

Everything in life is in flux and all situations are temporary. The one stable thing in your life that you can always count on, is family, kids and your wife. That's all you need. Everything else can be taken away from you and you'll still have your family. There is also no perfect time to have kids. Just go for it and trust me, you won't be sorry. You'll make it work just like millions of other people do on a daily basis. Make a family. When you finally do, you'll wonder why the hell you waited so long.

Last edited:
Back