Am I the only one who hates hearing PA's like this?

One of my problems with Bluejuice company is exactly this. Mngt needs to stop re-inventing the wheel and cut out all this culture and different type of company crap. One example is the stand-up PAs they expect the pilots to make b4 the flight. In my one year employed here I've never done one because the ones that do look like complete tools. Too many think the have a captive audience to try out their comedy routine. It's embarrassing and the pax could give two craps. Anytime a Captain asks me to say hello to the folks I say I'm fine doing it from the comfy confines of my right seat. "Welcome aboard. XXX amount of time enroute. Smooth ride. Good day."

I agree completely... it is silly to try and re-invent the wheel for everything. There is a reason that some things work and a reason that some things don't. As an old instructor once said to me... 'R&D' stands for Ripoff and Duplicate.

That being said... I am one of the guys that does get up in front of the pax and give the song and dance... I keep it very concise, honest, and fun. (And have been told by the Inflight folks that I give a good speech.) I don't think that everyone should do it... (for a whole bunch of reasons) but I like to and I am a personable dude. If the FA's rolled their eyes every time, or if I was telling a bunch of stale peanut jokes... I would re-evaluate.

Also... I have been recognized. I was flying a flight from FLL to LAX and a JC member saw the same dude as the picture to my left and came up to me after the flight to say Hi. (And to thank me for some random info that I 'paid forward' in a PM to him.) So, it does have it's good points.

Getting up in front of the peeps... sometimes good, and it has it's place. The 'Captain Bob and F.O. Rich' - I HATE! Unprofessional to a tee. I always use full names in my brief... "My name is Richard Praser and and we are under the command of Capt. Jean-Luc Picard." I was flying with a guy who had a very unique name... and if the FA's didn't actually use his full name in their brief then he would have never met a relative on one of our flight's together. (As the name was so unique that if you shared the last name you were related for sure.)

I did hear a joke during a 'comedy routine intro' that I liked... and I am thinking of 'borrowing' it - "If you enjoy our flight today, please visit us at BlueJet dot com and let us know... if you have any complaints, please write each of them on a twenty dollar bill and pass them up to the flight deck and I will make sure that the company gets each and every one of them."

Agree with all being said here in support of Cav point. BUT my word ATN_Pilot, I think you secretly lust to be a Delta Pilot. What would your call sign be?

BUT my word ATN_Pilot, I think you secretly lust to be a Delta Pilot. What would your call sign be?

I didn't used to, but ever since the evil Texas overlords have shown up, nothing sounds more appealing than wearing a widget. :) I'm sure Kemo could come up with a call sign for me. Although it probably wouldn't be very flattering. :)

ATN_Pilot said:
I didn't used to, but ever since the evil Texas overlords have shown up, nothing sounds more appealing than wearing a widget. :) I'm sure Kemo could come up with a call sign for me. Although it probably wouldn't be very flattering. :)

STILL not feeling the LUV?

Where you looking to commute to once they park the 717s? :)

ATN_Pilot said:
Bite me, Wookie. ;)

The only "LUV" I'm feeling is the prison variety.

So no chance of ATL stand up reserve for you?

In all seriousness, you ever stay at the Renaissance by DAL LUV field? Thought you'd like that hotel.

So no chance of ATL stand up reserve for you?

Only for the next two years. Then I'm stuck doing 28 legs a day to garden spots like Lubbock while waiting for my upgrade that should come sometime around the time I turn 82. That might be just a little bit of an exaggeration. But only a little bit. ;)

You will like AUS though!

In all seriousness, I betchya you meet a Texas lady, move to Texas, get married, and start having kids. Texas ladies enchant the man.

While we're talking PA's , here's pretty good one I heard once:

"Ahhhhh well folks welcome aboard CO flight XXX with service into ahhhhh...hold on here...ahhh San Juan ahhh wait, make that Aguadilla.........."

F/A after the CA: " I can assure you we are going to Aguadilla"

CA after the F/A: " Never Travel With Woman"

Why do so many people in this industry get worked up about the slightest and dumbest things. Who cares?

Precisely. It may be cheesy, but it shows that the people who are making the effort to return the "service" portion to what used to be a serviced based industry, in fact have a little more passion than those who don't. The ones making these PA's obviously care about a lot more and have a passion for more than just the paycheck they work for. Now I am not saying that I would necessarily be one who made these types of announcements, but maybe I would. Either way, who gives a sh@#?
Oye!

It sounds cheesy to me.

It's not he end if the world by any means, but I rank it up there with dingbats who give out winds, "...scattered clouds at forty five hunnert" and keep saying "uhhhh" over the PA

And those boneheads that can't speak on the radio "united's 123 checking in with you onboard at three five OH"

Besides, it's a zero. Momma taught you better.

Damn, I'm a radio nazi today! :)

Sent from my TRS-80

Precisely. It may be cheesy, but it shows that the people who are making the effort to return the "service" portion to what used to be a serviced based industry, in fact have a little more passion than those who don't. The ones making these PA's obviously care about a lot more and have a passion for more than just the paycheck they work for. Now I am not saying that I would necessarily be one who made these types of announcements, but maybe I would. Either way, who gives a sh@#?
Oye!

Just an FYI many consider it service when you don't make a PA at all. At least my PAX paying 20k for the same trip do. They pay for me to sit down STFU and fly.

Just got off a Southwest flight in which we were informed in cruise that "we were about to pass St. Louis but hurry up because we're travelling over 3/4s the speed of sound and don't stick our head out the window since it's -70 outside."
How about clicking the ding and STFU.

Oh wow, Mach .72!

I personally don't care what the captain has to say unless it involves me needing to evacuate the plane. However, if the schtick is to make goofy jokes, then go ahead. I'm going to tune you out until I hear information that is pertinent to my survival.

I am a master at making very bad and annoying puns, super cheesy jokes, being a goof, etc. To be honest, if I were in the position to have to make these announcements, I probably would put some oomph into it and try my best. I'm easy going and personable. I can make most people laugh or at least smile, and if I can't, then they are true jerks that have a dead bug up their bum.

I do care. Primarily because the more guys yammer over the PA, the more people filter it out. Then when something truly important gets said, people don't listen.

Like turning the seatbelt sign on at the first nibble of turbulence and leaving it on for another 20 minutes in smooth air. People disregard it. Once people learn to disregard it, when it pops on because you're about to hit a line of weather, hilarity ensues.

Sent from my TRS-80

Like turning the seatbelt sign on at the first nibble of turbulence and leaving it on for another 20 minutes in smooth air. People disregard it. Once people learn to disregard it, when it pops on because you're about to hit a line of weather, hilarity ensues.

Yes!!

I was one of the few at my company that liked the new idea they came out with last year that the seatbelt sign goes off at 10,000 feet with the sterile light if it's smooth. I've been on a few foreign carriers where it was off with the slats being retracted. That might be a bit early but if there's no indication of bumps passing 10K then what the heck, they're going to get up anyway...no need to be the boy that cried wolf.

Back