The right time is never... right?

I just saw this - I am not a pilot so take it for what it is worth. My wife and I had our first kid when we were still in college. We have maxed out credit cards, had $13 for one Christmas, gained and lost jobs - everything always worked out. If you want kids, have them.

I love that everything worked out for you (seriously). However, "if you want kids, have them" is probably one of the injustices we do children. It could be a LITTLE more complicated than that, by design. This is a whole new vulnerable life we're talking about, not just what the adults "want," so as much careful planning as possible for the sake of the potential baby wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

And then the life happens anyway, so you adjust, do your best to give them the best, and, as long as you give them all the love you've got, you'll be alright.
Oh, sure.

But encouraging caution seems to be less instinctive than encouraging "figure it out when you get there!" Unless having kids really is no big deal, and anyone and everyone can and should do it. What the hell - it's just kids. ;)

Oh, sure.

But encouraging caution seems to be less instinctive than encouraging "figure it out when you get there!" Unless having kids really is no big deal, and anyone and everyone can and should do it. What the hell - it's just kids. ;)
We had kids in our mid-30s. While this is better than mid 40s, I'd still rather it was our mid 20s ;)

so as much careful planning as possible for the sake of the potential baby wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

Some planning isn't a bad idea. However "no plan survives contact with the enemy".

I certainly didn't plan on being a single father to 5 kids at 40 years old, but I'm dealing with it. We did plan "what if" and bought life insurance so this wasn't financially fatal like it could have been.

Ready to have kids checklist.

Committed log term monogamous relationship.
Semi stable employment for the next 24 months.
Semi stable housing for the next 24 months.

If you've got those three things figured out, go for it.

Ready to have kids checklist.

Committed log term monogamous relationship.
Semi stable employment for the next 24 months.
Semi stable housing for the next 24 months.

If you've got those three things figured out, go for it.

FTFY.
I have some good friends raising their children in a polyamorous relationship. It's not for me, but they have it more together than many of the monogamous couples I know. The times they are a-changin'.

Well on the 7th our little boy was born. I always thought of my first solo day and my wedding day being the two greatest days of my life. On Saturday both those days were trumped when I was able to witness my sons grand entrance to our world. Words simply cannot describe the happiness we are feeling right now, I know it will be tough but it is almost as if his presence has instantly given me more strength and determination to become a better person.

My airline has been extremely accommodating during this process and I will have a month off with my little family. Feeling very blessed. Thanks to all that have replied to this thread, it was great to hear other pilots perspective on the subject.

Well on the 7th our little boy was born. I always thought of my first solo day and my wedding day being the two greatest days of my life. On Saturday both those days were trumped when I was able to witness my sons grand entrance to our world. Words simply cannot describe the happiness we are feeling right now, I know it will be tough but it is almost as if his presence has instantly given me more strength and determination to become a better person.

My airline has been extremely accommodating during this process and I will have a month off with my little family. Feeling very blessed. Thanks to all that have replied to this thread, it was great to hear other pilots perspective on the subject.

Congrats!

Best day ever for me as well! Words can't do justice on how much I love my baby girl!

Congrats! Make some good habits early, read to her every evening for example when your home! Video chat with with her every day when your not!

Back