Right Seat Captains

L-16B said:
Yup. Because when the flight attendants are checking in on the computer it would be too hard to click print. I've heard this carries over from piedmont back in the day. The look on a flight attendants face when they ask for a pairing and you tell them you didn't print one is priceless.

Love it!

Nice work. Eventually the generational divide will evaporate and these ladies will start doing things on their own.

I am not a fan of this. Do it yourself people. Thankfully we don't have that culture and our FAs are on separate pairings so I don't have their numbers anyways.
Uhh, aren't you at SJI? The culture is, or was that the FO filled out the hotel sheet for the pilots. Apparently, it wasn't that way at the northern merger partner, so now you get a mix of ways.

Uhh, aren't you at SJI? The culture is, or was that the FO filled out the hotel sheet for the pilots. Apparently, it wasn't that way at the northern merger partner, so now you get a mix of ways.
What is SJI? SouthernJets? No.

And I am not saying I never have filled it out but the expectation is what I am not a fan of and neither airlines I have worked at have had that culture. So probably not used to it I guess.

Great post, Mike.

An example of what you're talking about is actually right here at my shop. The experience in the 767 is most certainly weighted to the FO side, though we do have some captains here with previous experience. The majority, however, came over from the right seat of the 747 to the left seat of the 76, and have never flown one before.

And that's fine. It's not a hard airplane to fly by any stretch, but the good guys/gals in the left seat (the majority, I'd say) appreciate the extra experience in the right seat, and see us as assets. I know I'm not the final authority on the flight, but I'm more than happy to help out a bit extra where I can based on my previous experience in type. It'd be very poor form for me to say "I'm just the FO!" and hang it all on the captain, when myself and a number of other FOs have a lot more time in the airplane.

Now, I have run into the opposite type, who thinks that seniority trumps experience in the airplane (for example, the cat with <100 in type who was telling me and another guy that we all use boards too much on the fleet*). Those people are usually called "Tools," and don't get invited out for a beer. ;)

* Tied with the high-mins guy who told me that "in his experience," we could depart significantly overweight and still land with plenty of gas. Oh no, no no no.
That's the thing. I don't ever want to be a right seat captain, but when a guy with 1/10th the time in type tells me how I need to fly it, I just stare at them.

That's the thing. I don't ever want to be a right seat captain, but when a guy with 1/10th the time in type tells me how I need to fly it, I just stare at them.
Just had that happen not too long ago. Captian is on first trip off OE, has maybe 60 hours in type. Starts telling me, with over 6000 hours in type, what I'm doing wrong and how to fly the plane. Turns out he was trying to fly it like an A320. Made up my mind for me to take the first upgrade I can.

Just had that happen not too long ago. Captian is on first trip off OE, has maybe 60 hours in type. Starts telling me, with over 6000 hours in type, what I'm doing wrong and how to fly the plane. Turns out he was trying to fly it like an A320. Made up my mind for me to take the first upgrade I can.
Sounds like some of @Derg s stories lately. Maybe the company is doing it on purpose to get some of the senior FOs to upgrade?

It's good to be king, I'm guessing.

Bid preference: "Captain, any, any."

Back