Right Seat Captains

Protip: If you never like any of the captains you fly with, the problem isn't the captains.

Depends on the company. I'm sure @jynxyjoe knows exactly what I mean.

I mean, I think it's lame that I have to say "airspeed" when a guy purposefully tries to exceed 250 KTS under 10,000 by 30 knots. "Correcting" *no action taken*.

I won't miss Pinnacle.

Depends on the company. I'm sure @jynxyjoe knows exactly what I mean.

I mean, I think it's lame that I have to say "airspeed" when a guy purposefully tries to exceed 250 KTS under 10,000 by 30 knots. "Correcting" *no action taken*.

I won't miss Pinnacle.
Lol... I know NOTHING!!

Yeah, a lot of the Pinnacle guys were weird. With that said, their give a damn tank was on empty and I didn't fly with everyone at their best.

No one ever does.

What bugs me is that I wish I missed it because of management.

I won't miss it because I had to be assertive about obvious crap. "No, I don't want you to reset the CB yourself without calling MX."

The crew room gossip centered around "toolbags who follow the book".

At least I have a lot of good TMAAT stories about dumb CAs.

Wow. For a post that started out getting slammed, this one sure grew legs.

Just had that happen not too long ago. Captian is on first trip off OE, has maybe 60 hours in type. Starts telling me, with over 6000 hours in type, what I'm doing wrong and how to fly the plane. Turns out he was trying to fly it like an A320. Made up my mind for me to take the first upgrade I can.

Thank you. I have been saying this here for years but it fell on deaf ears as the QOL thoughts took over. I took the first upgrade I could and was the most junior CA on the seniority list for a long time. It helps me today when I fly with heavy time new hires; treat them with the respect they deserve and only coach them on company specific stuff.

The bottom line is that it is good to be king.

I can generally deal with a d-bag or a tool if they're not going to get me violated. Now an incompetent micro manager? I can't stand those guys.

Thankfully 90% of the folks I've worked with have been awesome, 5% have been frustrating, and 5% are on the bid avoid list.
Which is why we have that functionality. In theory, anyway.

PROTIP: Do not brag about being the #1 bid avoided Captain in the whole shooting match (yes, this is apparently a thing). When flight attendants are bid avoiding you, take a good look in the mirror and go "hrmmm."

Now an incompetent micro manager? I can't stand those guys.

I've always found it interesting how those two traits go together.

Whenever I start a trip with somebody that starts micromanaging, hovering over the gear/flap handles, etc... I know it's simply a matter of time before they show their incompetence. It never, ever fails. Micromanagers are insecure for a reason!

I wonder how some of our Colgan captains that left for the "republic" Q400 operation fared as FOs in the same aircraft/base, with the newly upgraded CAs.

I wonder how some of our Colgan captains that left for the "republic" Q400 operation fared as FOs in the same aircraft/base, with the newly upgraded CAs.

Probably better than the Ex-Pinnacle Captains sitting FO for the upgraded Colgan pukes.

Just do what's right, follow procedures the way the boss-man says, provide great customer service and, as an adult, you shouldn't need to be constantly prompted to do any of that.

Yup, it IS your job and you knew you weren't going to be paid for it when you signed up.

No one cares that you're mad, frustrated or that the company isn't treating you well. Take care of your customers

Derg pointed this out a few times (and amazingly no one else?) Flying people in airplanes is a customer service job.

Complaints to air carriers are somewhat rare, but if you are responsible for there being even one less, it is a big deal. If someone calls the company to tell them what a good job you do (very rare), it is a huge huge huge deal.

You never know who it is that you are bumping into on a jetway, but being polite is something people remember.

We all spend a lot of time ignoring the little things around airplanes, but for people that are afraid of flying and don't travel often, a somewhat sincere attitude does in fact go a long way.

[QUOTE="drunkenbeagle, post: Flying people in airplanes is a customer service job.

Complaints to air carriers are somewhat rare, but if you are responsible for there being even one less, it is a big deal. If someone calls the company to tell them what a good job you do (very rare), it is a huge huge huge deal.

You never know who it is that you are bumping into on a jetway, but being polite is something people remember.

We all spend a lot of time ignoring the little things around airplanes, but for people that are afraid of flying and don't travel often, a somewhat sincere attitude does in fact go a long way.[/QUOTE]
Yup, my husband was the subject of a Harvard Business Review article, subsequent book and leadership training program when he impressed a passenger who does leadership training for a living. You never know who is watching!

Probably better than the Ex-Pinnacle Captains sitting FO for the upgraded Colgan pukes.
I hope you're kidding, especially since you were a post merger hire. Just because you walked on to one team doesn't mean you're better than the other...

Back