AirTran furloughs announced, concessions requested

PanAm 1978 rates adjusted for inflation would be over 500K.

Hell AA 1992 rates adjusted for inflation would be about 300K

who hires expat other then 'em rets and cathay?

Korean All Nippon, and Vietnam have been taking lots of ex-pats, as have numerous startups in China and India. pprune.com has lots of info on these kinds of things. (can I do that? they aren't really a competing forum). Oh well, forgiveness over permission, right?

PanAm 1978 rates adjusted for inflation would be over 500K.

Well over $500k. A PanAm 747 CA in the mid '70s made over $700k when you correct for inflation. Just looking back to 2001, senior Captains at NWA, DAL, and UAL could top $500k. Senior Captains at AMR, CAL, and AAA could do $400k. We've fallen a very long way.

Um, then what exactly do you buy? Fuel costs have more than doubled for the airlines. Fares are inelastic due to the faltering economy. Sorry, but yes, oil is indeed killing us and every other airline (expect for SWA and possibly the "new" Delta).

The airline business model in this country since 1978 hasn't worked.....

The airline business model in this country since 1978 hasn't worked.....

That's true, but it didn't completely implode until oil reached $100/bbl. No one can survive in this environment, because few passengers will be willing to pay the fare that will cover fuel costs.

That's true, but it didn't completely implode until oil reached $100/bbl. No one can survive in this environment, because few passengers will be willing to pay the fare that will cover fuel costs.

You're probably right.......passengers will probably elect to drive instead.

Well why not add to the misery of 2008. OH has told the flying fools (Pilots and FA's) that our flight hours are being reduced by 15%. What does that mean, I really don't know. But OH began hiring like crazy about two months ago now they are apparently 200 pilots heavy. So take it for what it is worth. No talk of the "f" word yet but I don't see how it won't happen.:(

You're probably right.......passengers will probably elect to drive instead.

Actually, they probably won't be traveling at all. Thanks to eight years of the most incompetent President in modern American history, our economy is in a shambles. It's not just our industry. Anyone else see that Starbucks is closing 300 stores and laying off 12,000 employees? If people can't afford their coffee addiction, then they certainly can't afford that trip to Orlando.

Anyone else see that Starbucks is closing 300 stores and laying off 12,000 employees? If people can't afford their coffee addiction, then they certainly can't afford that trip to Orlando.

Actually it's 600 stores...

I'd have to say part of the Starbucks issue was growing too quickly. One of the stores that's closing here in MEM is getting shut down b/c there's another Starbucks 1 mile away......in BOTH directions. My wife's store is good. It's the top money maker in the district, and the next closest Starbucks is about 15 minutes away.

Our economy is not just the presidents fault. We have had an incompetent, do nothing, argue with each other and completely worthless congress for years now. All they can seem to do is spend our money on bridges to no where instead of doing something about the real problems. Even with oil prices at $140/pbl they still can not seem to quit arguing long enough to actually solve problems in America. All the president can do is try to introduce bills and then sign them into law once the congress passes them. Hopefully this November America will send a signal to congress and kick out 90% of the career politicians and get people that will actually do something. I doubt it though. Sorry just my two cents. I'm sorry to hear about the guys at AirTran, hopefully things will work out.

Thanks to eight years of the most incompetent President in modern American history, our economy is in a shambles. .

I am not saying I disagree with this statement at all...but doesn't it take the legislative branch to also produce this steaming dog pile of an economy? I really don't want to be known as cynical, but I truly think that they all suck. I think it is neat that people like Obama and really believe that he can deliver "change" (whatever that means), but I simply can't buy in. This statement is not to be taken as an endorsement of McCain - I will probably wait until I am in the booth and vote for the one that will screw my life up the least - not the one that will improve things, simply the one who will screw up the least. Pretty bad attitude to have and I don't like it. I wonder if it was this way when Dewey ran against Truman, or when JFK ran against Nixon - I wonder how people felt.

Back