AirTran furloughs announced, concessions requested

I agree....and don't buy the whole "oil is killing us" excuse.

Um, then what exactly do you buy? Fuel costs have more than doubled for the airlines. Fares are inelastic due to the faltering economy. Sorry, but yes, oil is indeed killing us and every other airline (expect for SWA and possibly the "new" Delta).

Hope they do a better job taking care of the furloughed guys this time then what they did when I was furloughed from AirTran in 1998.

Complete and utter lack of any sort of information -- and IF you accepted employment while on furlough the company considered it as a resignation, ineligible for rehire. Ouch!

Good luck.

Best of luck to all affected. As the son of an airtran pilot I can understand the frustration and uncertainty. I think one of my good friends is at risk too. Hang in there everyone, tough times ahead....

I agree....and don't buy the whole "oil is killing us" excuse.

What??? I think that is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. It hurts me when I fill up my truck...and it only holds 25 gallons! Ever see what an airliner holds? I know for a fact oil prices are hurting my airline

What??? I think that is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. It hurts me when I fill up my truck...and it only holds 25 gallons! Ever see what an airliner holds? I know for a fact oil prices are hurting my airline

A 767 burns about 10K pounds hour. That is about 1666 gallons of gas. Even at $3 a gallon it is only about 23 dollars per a passenger. So over a JFK-LHR flight the gas bill is about $161, or two tanks in a jeep.:banghead:

PCL

Hoping your senority number is safe, & with this posting, looks like it is time to change the signature in your profile;):nana2:

Yup. Sadly, I think the biggest interest in the career fair are airlines that hire expat pilots.

I'm preparing for options outside of aviation. It was fun while it lasted, I guess. :(

This is the part I don't get...

You're potentially under the gun for a furlough from AirTran...why shelf it all and look for a job outside? Why not seek corporate or something else in the professional pilot field?

who hires expat other then 'em rets and cathay?

I had that same question in the chat last night. Got a few hints at some places in Japan, another Dubai carrier and some UK stuff. It's out there, it's just off the beaten path.

Wow..... sounds horrible.. My condolences to everyone involved! It's ashame, I have friends that work there and with their 737 NG's and 717's they seem like they are fairly fuel efficient......

This is the part I don't get...

You're potentially under the gun for a furlough from AirTran...why shelf it all and look for a job outside? Why not seek corporate or something else in the professional pilot field?

Corporate isn't really for me. I'm sure it works great for some guys, but I wouldn't be happy in that line of work.

This is my eighth year in this business. In that short period of time, I've already seen two of the worst aviation downturns in history. I've seen major airline pilots go from topping out at $500k to topping out at $250k. I've seen outsourcing of major airline flying go from a few 50 seaters to 86 seaters and over 50% of block hours. I've seen pensions become a thing of the past. I've seen work rules decimated, possibly never to return. In short, during the first downturn, things got a hell of a lot worse, and the problem is that they never really got better before the next downturn came along. Now managements want more concessions and want to outsource more flying. The career is becoming less and less worthwhile with every passing day. I love this profession. I think everyone here knows that. But I need a stable living. I can't keep jumping from job to job for eternity. So if this job goes away, it's into the family business for me. Time to go work with good old dad in the real estate and property management business, where he's still making big six figures even during an economic downturn. Not really where I would prefer to be, but there are worse things than working with family and making a good living. We'll see what happens. Maybe the furloughs will never reach me and it'll be a moot point anyway. I hope so.

Back