550 Knot Groundspeed

Well, I don't have a cockpit photo, but I do have a shot taken of my jet from the outside.

This is up at Tonopah, Nevada back about 7 years ago, test-dropping a bomb for the Department of Energy.

My speed through the traps was 683 KCAS at 500' -- it was just over the Mach, but I don't remember exactly what M number. No wicked jetstream tailwinds here, just raw thrust pushing the jet that fast.

Tonopah_4.jpg

Nice!

One of the guys in my pad commuted on purple out of Memphis. He said that the MD-10/11 was an absolute animal and that they'd be climbing at something like .80 and still doing 6,000 FPM.

Douglas built some freakin' airplanes!

My old man flew the -10. He told me once, it was designed to fly at .86 Mach. The problem with that was it made it fuel inefficient, so they always flew slower, at a slight nose up pitch/deck angle. The FAs hated it because they spent half the flight pushing galley carts up hill. Dad hated it because he said it flew like a 'greased bowling ball'.

He was a Boeing man 'till the end, I suppose.

Once again Hacker very clearly illustrates he has the biggest ding-a-ling out of all of us.

;)

Well, I don't have a cockpit photo, but I do have a shot taken of my jet from the outside.

This is up at Tonopah, Nevada back about 7 years ago, test-dropping a bomb for the Department of Energy.

My speed through the traps was 683 KCAS at 500' -- it was just over the Mach, but I don't remember exactly what M number. No wicked jetstream tailwinds here, just raw thrust pushing the jet that fast.

Tonopah_4.jpg

You win, man! ;)

Well, I didn't start it, I just felt compelled to weigh in. :)

It'll be time soon enough to hang up the G-suit and wear a tie (and a hat?) to work.

I've seen 530 Kts over the ground in the Q... but i being stoopid took a video, not picture to share as we were accelerating, i did snap one at 520

26f6a83c.jpg

Video

Where did u snap that one Truck and at what alt and what route?

Was an early morning from RIC to EWR I think... In the video it shows us straight and level at 20,000... It was quite cold, and we were not in the detent yet, so i bet if we went up to 220 we could have matched the current record of 534... maybe bested it... Course if we had been willing to overspeed, it wouldn't have been close - sans barber pole i bet we would have nearly gotten 540+ fadec was giving us 86%.. we were using like 78% Bleeds to min, and we would have gotten 88% prob, we were running a lot of heat that morning.

kinda feels sad when thats the bright spot of your day :)

Back