550 Knot Groundspeed

Had 178 knots on the tail across the Atlantic and was checking into the hotel at the time when we should have been on final approach.

Then the ladies were upset when we said that we'd be late arriving back in JFK.

("Uhh, if you fly fast east, you're going to be a lot slower flying west....")

Had 178 knots on the tail across the Atlantic and was checking into the hotel at the time when we should have been on final approach.

Then the ladies were upset when we said that we'd be late arriving back in JFK.

("Uhh, if you fly fast east, you're going to be a lot slower flying west....")

You flew back the same day? :crazy::eek:

BE1900C%20359kts.JPG

This one on the site is from my old company!

I'm always happy to see it in the 500s, but start getting really interested when it looks like this. Also a good time to seriously evaluate crossing restrictions!

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 231
I remember 4 years ago NRT-HNL on a NW DC-10 Looking up at the progress screen....we were doing 830 mph ground speed made the trip in just under 5 hrs.

From an ATC standpoint, seen some pretty wild groundspeeds from time to time.

About 6 months ago I had a 737-700 levelled at FL410 eastbound, grounding 710-720 knots @ M.79, I'll let you do the math on that one.

Conversely I had a CRJ doing 180 knots going the other direction.

Also had a Kingair at FL290 eastbound grounding 380 knots just yesterday, passed a 747 at FL300 going southwest bound doing 310 knots.... the Kingair guys were pretty happy about that.

From an ATC standpoint, seen some pretty wild groundspeeds from time to time.

About 6 months ago I had a 737-700 levelled at FL410 eastbound, grounding 710-720 knots @ M.79, I'll let you do the math on that one.

Conversely I had a CRJ doing 180 knots going the other direction.

Also had a Kingair at FL290 eastbound grounding 380 knots just yesterday, passed a 747 at FL300 going southwest bound doing 310 knots.... the Kingair guys were pretty happy about that.

Last night I had a Groundspeed of 397Kts in a King Air B200 at FL190 Eastbound from Indianapolis to Zanesville OH at normal cruise settings. Of course I had to bump up the power a little to see the magic 400 Knots. It was certainly a windy, gusty night. Today it is calm and clear - go figure ;). Merry Christmas everyone.

Last night I had a Groundspeed of 397Kts in a King Air B200 at FL190 Eastbound from Indianapolis to Zanesville OH at normal cruise settings. Of course I had to bump up the power a little to see the magic 400 Knots. It was certainly a windy, gusty night. Today it is calm and clear - go figure ;). Merry Christmas everyone.

Very nice!

It was nice (and relatively smooth considering the winds)... IND-ZZV in 6 tenths. The outbound leg was painful though (160 knots at 16000 Ft). It's always nice to have a tail wind on the homeward leg though.

We made LAX-EWR in less than 4 hours last Thursday (12/18). This was my commute on FedEx. The guys said they had 160 on the tail from TOC to TOD.

One of the guys in my pad commuted on purple out of Memphis. He said that the MD-10/11 was an absolute animal and that they'd be climbing at something like .80 and still doing 6,000 FPM.

Douglas built some freakin' airplanes!

One of the guys in my pad commuted on purple out of Memphis. He said that the MD-10/11 was an absolute animal and that they'd be climbing at something like .80 and still doing 6,000 FPM.

Douglas built some freakin' airplanes!

Must have been an MD or DC-10-30, not the -10. I sat up front on the -10 one time, while it was climbing at .83, it was only doing 1000 FPM at most. The commute home to LA is on an MD-10, going to EWR, however is an Airbus.

Well, I don't have a cockpit photo, but I do have a shot taken of my jet from the outside.

This is up at Tonopah, Nevada back about 7 years ago, test-dropping a bomb for the Department of Energy.

My speed through the traps was 683 KCAS at 500' -- it was just over the Mach, but I don't remember exactly what M number. No wicked jetstream tailwinds here, just raw thrust pushing the jet that fast.

Tonopah_4.jpg

Back