What is your greatest piece of advice

It is nice to be an FO again. It would also be nice to be a Captain again, although I do not look forward to doing the reserve thing for any duration of time. I certainly see why people bypass the upgrade here...I do not, however, at the RJ level, mostly because upgrading is the only way to make a comfortable living (and even then you're gettin' screwed on the regular). I remember going..."That's it?" after my first day of FO IOE here, compared to the slings-and-arrows of outrageous RJ-land.

I remember I once flew with the most junior 145 Captain at the Beagle, and I saw him about two weeks later busted back to the right seat. Not a happy camper in short. (Same week I got displaced to NFE from DFE. "Gee, I don't understand why you left," he said, cross-eyed.)

I'm still bummed on your behalf for your displacement back to the right seat, is what I'm trying to convey. :)
Head to CPT for re-upgrade this week.

CRJ was a dying fleet when I got there, as 175 base just opened up, but that was the plane that kept me in ORD.
Awesome plane, crappy QoL on eternal reserve on a shrinking fleet, great crews. You knew everyone you flew with, at the end there were like 70-80 of us total CA and FO. I enjoyed it, even if in the moment there was a fair bit to B&M about.

I was stuck on eternal airport reserve on the CRJ At eagle. for 4 years all I could hold was airport reserve In DFW. I think I had accumulated a total of 150 hours of total flight time in 4 years. had to go back to the sim to requalify many times. I’d watch the ERJ ready reserves get burned up like a hot knife thru butter, with the reserve EMJ guys getting called in to sit ready reserve. While I’d sit at the airport for 8 hours and go home everynight.

I’m not complaining, I got to see my newborn grow up every night during my first 4 years at Beagle.

I got busted by the airport cops because I stopped showing up for ready reserve in uniform. I’d come thru the DFW employee portal in tshirt cargo shorts flip flops, sign in the computer for ready reserve and the go park myself somewhere at the airport until it was time to go home.

one day, the cops showed up a few hours later and asked where was I going? I just nonchalantly said nowhere, Maybe go home in a few hours, if they call me for a trip, I’ll put my uniform on and go to work…. I didn’t realize until later that that was probably the only answer thet kept me from being cited and ticketed by the cops, because they thought I went thru the employee SIDA portal to board a flight to nonrev somewhere (which you’re not allowed to do) and the cops were looking for me for those few hours after they saw me on the cameras going thru the portal.

but love the crews i flew with on the CRJ. Finally bailed to ORD where I could hold a line since that was the only way to escape ready reserve. I had to wait 3 more years before I could finally displacement bid back to DFW on the EMJ.

We have a real problem with this at Envoy. Washed out gummers hogging the seats holding on to a bygone era. Fortunately we are down significantly percentage wise. Hopefully the next few years will purge the remainder of them. The goal would be to have a 100% cadet airline going forward.
Management stooge confirmed.

i think he’s not far from being a gummer himself. I think I interviewed with him in April 2006. he ended up being a LGA based guy. He is definitely not from a cadet pedigree, so by his own standards he is not worthy to be an envoy pilot much less an American pilot.

i wonder if his goal is to make american all 100% cadet too? That would be unfortunate - so I’m glad he’s not in charge over there at American and that he’s just a nobody line pilot on “special assignment”

i think he’s not far from being a gummer himself. I think I interviewed with him in April 2006. he ended up being a LGA based guy. He is definitely not from a cadet pedigree, so by his own standards he is not worthy to be an envoy pilot much less an American pilot.

i wonder if his goal is to make american all 100% cadet too? That would be unfortunate - so I’m glad he’s not in charge over there at American and that he’s just a nobody line pilot on “special assignment”
If it's who we think it is, he spent some time answering the phone in the ATR CP's office. They wouldn't let him fly it because, well, you have to be a good pilot to fly the ATR. We wouldn't let him play on the hockey team because, well...... We didn't allow home dressers, and this knob would definitely be a home dresser.

If it's who we think it is, he spent some time answering the phone in the ATR CP's office. They wouldn't let him fly it because, well, you have to be a good pilot to fly the ATR. We wouldn't let him play on the hockey team because, well...... We didn't allow home dressers, and this knob would definitely be a home dresser.
CreativeHappyGangesdolphin-size_restricted.gif

I wish beachball had a hockey team. I posted something to get a feeling on interest, but I don’t think we had nearly enough people

I'm glad you think you have me all figured out. Where do you work anyway? I can tell you it isn't at American Airlines.

In summary here, I'm just simply stating the obvious. That the cadets are essentially the military aviators of the 2020s. Like the Air Force jet jock was the primary choice of major carriers in the late 80s. The cadets of today are best suited for 121 flying and the reason why ALL the regional carriers go after them first. Envoy pioneered the cadet program which was the single smartest move since the multi engine airplane was invented. Not only does Envoy keep the cadet supply pipeline open. But by offering a cradle to grave major airline job, they have secured the best and the brightest available.

I'm glad you think you have me all figured out. Where do you work anyway? I can tell you it isn't at American Airlines.

In summary here, I'm just simply stating the obvious. That the cadets are essentially the military aviators of the 2020s. Like the Air Force jet jock was the primary choice of major carriers in the late 80s. The cadets of today are best suited for 121 flying and the reason why ALL the regional carriers go after them first. Envoy pioneered the cadet program which was the single smartest move since the multi engine airplane was invented. Not only does Envoy keep the cadet supply pipeline open. But by offering a cradle to grave major airline job, they have secured the best and the brightest available.
AgonizingImpressionableIberianlynx-size_restricted.gif

In summary here, I'm just simply stating the obvious. That the cadets are essentially the military aviators of the 2020s. Like the Air Force jet jock was the primary choice of major carriers in the late 80s.
Is that based on your experience doing military re-enactments or just a wild ass guess?

People were wrong about a lot of things in the 80’s… like how margarine was good for you, New Coke tastes better than the original, and parachute pants were so cool!

No i dont have you figured out. I dont understand what your hard on is for aviation cadets. It’s the 2020s, a majority of new pilots will most likely come from aviation colleges and pilot programs, because pilot production from Part 61 schools and the military are nowhere near what they were in the 1980-1990s. So it‘s just a matter of hard numbers. Not anything revolutionary that American or Envoy are doing.

Where do I work? Definitely not at American. American Eagle did a very good job in driving away a lot of potential pilots from American. I am glad I didn’t flow to AA. As a 2007 Eagle hire, I would have been furloughed in 2020 instead of being a 7th year Captain at one of those lowly ULCCs you seem to despise…

Did I make the right choice? Not flowing vs flowing? Don’t know - and I wont know until I retire.

But where I work and what I do doesn’t define who I am…. It’s just work…. I much rather enjoy my time off than fret over whether I work for some low tier airline or American. At the low tier airline that I work for at the moment, I’m enjoying the quality of life I have versus hearing from my initial newhire sim partner from Eagle who flowed in 2018 and spent 2020 furloughed and is just now getting back into training at American near the bottom of the seniority list.

So if you are who I think you are, you being a 2006 Eagle hire and taking the flow to American, you probably avoided being furloughed in 2020, but the bottom of the seniority list is stlll uncomfortably close for you. But there are no guarantees in this industry and yes American has a better chance of surviving than my low tier airline.

But if my low tier airline goes tits up, well I feel better about it today because 2020 made me think about a lot about what I’d do but running to apply to all of the legacy airlines isnt one of them, because it’s just job. Not my life and it’s not my identity.

Last edited:
No i dont have you figured out. I dont understand what your hard on is for aviation cadets. It’s the 2020s, a majority of new pilots will most likely come from aviation colleges and pilot programs, because pilot production from Part 61 schools and the military are nowhere near what they were in the 1980-1990s. So it‘s just a matter of hard numbers. Not anything revolutionary that American or Envoy are doing.

Where do I work? Definitely not at American. American Eagle did a very good job in driving away a lot of potential pilots from American. I am glad I didn’t flow to AA. As a 2007 Eagle hire, I would have been furloughed in 2020 instead of being a 7th year Captain at one of those lowly ULCCs you seem to despise…

Did I make the right choice? Not flowing vs flowing? Don’t know - and I wont know until I retire.

But where I work and what I do doesn’t define who I am…. It’s just work…. I much rather enjoy my time off than fret over whether I work for some low tier airline or American. At the low tier airline that I work for at the moment, I’m enjoying the quality of life I have versus hearing from my initial newhire sim partner from Eagle who flowed in 2018 and spent 2020 furloughed and is just now getting back into training at American near the bottom of the seniority list.

So if you are who I think you are, you being a 2006 Eagle hire and taking the flow to American, you probably avoided being furloughed in 2020, but the bottom of the seniority list is stlll uncomfortably close for you. But there are no guarantees in this industry and yes American has a better chance of surviving than my low tier airline.

But if my low tier airline goes tits up, well I feel better about it today because 2020 made me think about a lot about what I’d do but running to apply to all of the legacy airlines isnt one of them, because it’s just job. Not my life and it’s not my identity.

Are you me?

Wow, I just don't know what to say other than I can sense the jealousy of passing up the opportunity to work for American oozing through every line of your post. Did you make the right choice? I think the answer is obvious and you have serious regret. However, you are where you are and have to move on and make the best of things. Hindsight is certainly 20/20.

Wow, I just don't know what to say other than I can sense the jealousy of passing up the opportunity to work for American oozing through every line of your post. Did you make the right choice? I think the answer is obvious and you have serious regret. However, you are where you are and have to move on and make the best of things. Hindsight is certainly 20/20.

I’d say it’s the other way around. You know you have a poop sandwich and are trying to overcompensate yourself into thinking it isn’t awful.

Back