Anyone got insight for a fresh commercial pilot?

Typical... I was the same way 2 years ago and then reality hit me when pretty much nobody called me for the exact job you're explaining that you want. 250 hrs fresh out of college and nobody cared. Lol. Most 135 SIC gigs wanted 500 TT and a lot of banner towing wanted 100+ tailwheel so again, you're gonna fork out money for that but not a CFI? Thanks to these fellas here they whipped me into reality pretty fast, and I can't really thank these guys enough for that.

To the comment above, you don't need to be an expert to be a CFI just component enough to make sure your students don't kill you and be able to teach (again, nothing special). You learn more and more the longer you instruct making you a better instructor, true.

If you paid "$70k" for your flight training you should be able to afford the CFI. +1 on AF program. If you can't pay for a CFI there are programs out there where companies will hire you and actually pay for you to get it. ;) Like flight safety for example. They'll pay for all 3 of your instructor certificates!!

There's always 1000 reasons not to do something.

Not to sound like an old guy around here....but, in my day you were lucky to even get a CFI job with only 300 hrs, let alone a traffic watch job or sitting right seat in a turboprop or RJ.

Oh, and.....GET OFF MY LAWN!

Seriously, you're a perfect example of why this country is facing a real pilot shortage. Expensive up front costs, very low initial pay and/or job security and the old catch 22.....nobody hires without experience and no experience if nobody hires you.

I'm sitting at 315 hours over 100 multi engine. I just want to know if anyone knows a good way to build time fast? I'm in Southern California and want to get back in the air in the worst way. I know "get your cfi" but I want a flying job like traffic watch or anything really so I can pay for my cfi training. Anyone that has some insight it's much appreciated.

There are aerial survey companies that might hire you with just 315 hours, although I wouldn't count on it working out as there can be a lot of competition for them. You should probably look into aerial survey companies that will hire low-time pilots (the one I used to work for would*), and probably skydiving operations or 135 SIC jobs as well, although I don't know as much about those kinds of operations as I do survey. I wouldn't count on it working out though- with all due respect, low time pilots are a dime a dozen (admittedly maybe a quarter a dozen in today's hiring climate).

It would also be a good idea to be open to getting your CFI certificate, and to getting a non-aviation job to finance it. However I would recommend this as a backup to if you can't find an aviation job, and I say that having taken a job bagging groceries around the time I got my CFI certificate. Not that I regret doing so, I enjoyed my time at Hy-Vee and actually miss it sometimes, but it might be better to build experience in aviation if possible, and it very well might be in this hiring environment. Keep in mind that even if you do find a survey or other non-CFI low-time job, it could take a while, so perhaps you could get a non-aviation job in the meantime and even start working on your CFI if it's financially feasible. Once you have your CFI it will open up a lot more job opportunities, and CFIs seem to be in high demand right now with a lot of the bigger flight schools offering sign-on bonues, etc. to attract CFIs. So it would probably be relatively easy to get a job as a CFI right now, although that could change in a heartbeat- it's now been 7 years since the last recession so we're probably just about due for another one.

*I would not recommend working for the survey company I worked for, since you would be a 1099 independent contractor. There are a lot of very sketchy companies that hire low-time pilots, so you should be careful. That's another argument for getting your CFI. I would advise you to avoid any company where you would be an independent conctractor- the risks are too great in a job as dangerous as piloting. If you were injured in an accident as a 1099 independent contractor, you most likely would not be eligible for worker's comp.

To the comment above, you don't need to be an expert to be a CFI just component enough to make sure your students don't kill you and be able to teach (again, nothing special). You learn more and more the longer you instruct making you a better instructor, true.

Good advice except if you are that first student. I know I personally was picky about who my first CFI was and how much experience they had.

Good advice except if you are that first student. I know I personally was picky about who my first CFI was and how much experience they had.
Gotta learn somehow! You can't just be an amazing instructor on your first student.

There are opportunities for your TT range, but more than likely you'll need to move to get it. No one will hand it over, you need to hustle and knock on doors and network, network, network. This site is great for that...it's also great for finding out who has an entitled attitude, word tends to you know, spread.

CFI is the way to go, I just completed the AF CFI program in Pompano last week, great experience. Passed my check-ride and already have several interviews set up for this upcoming week (in FL) so flight schools seems to be pretty desperate to hire up for the new year.

There are opportunities for your TT range, but more than likely you'll need to move to get it. No one will hand it over, you need to hustle and knock on doors and network, network, network. This site is great for that...it's also great for finding out who has an entitled attitude, word tends to you know, spread.
I wasn't intending on coming off as entitled. I've been trying to get a job even washing airplanes or refueling so I can network. I just feel like I've spent to much money to not work at least in the field even if it's not flying yet.

I'm sitting at 315 hours over 100 multi engine. I just want to know if anyone knows a good way to build time fast? I'm in Southern California and want to get back in the air in the worst way. I know "get your cfi" but I want a flying job like traffic watch or anything really so I can pay for my cfi training. Anyone that has some insight it's much appreciated.
"Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines; what a great place, it's a great place, to start!"

I wasn't intending on coming off as entitled. I've been trying to get a job even washing airplanes or refueling so I can network. I just feel like I've spent to much money to not work at least in the field even if it's not flying yet.

Work at an FBO? I have a friend who was in the right seat of an Eclipse at about 500 hours, then into a G4 at about 1500 hours. Being blonde, good looking, and a great personality/person probably went a long way to help, but she did it all herself, with a sprinkling of hard work, and helping people.

Hey man I get it. Pretty much everyone on this site has had the same feeling at some point. As others have said, the CFI is pretty much self study (all the books are online for free from the FAA), then it's just a few hours of right seat flying to get proficient. It's not for everyone...I didn't want to CFI, but I also got lucky and got a survey gig sub 300TT. That being said, if I hadn't, you bet your ass I would have gone the CFI route. I feel it also needs to be mentioned not to take a job for free, no matter how desperate for hours you are...it's an enticing opportunity to get to fly and not have to pay for the plane (i.e. ferry flying / etc.), but you're only hurting yourself in the long run. Ask me how I know...

Best of luck, it'll happen, but you gotta work for it.

I feel it also needs to be mentioned not to take a job for free, no matter how desperate for hours you are...it's an enticing opportunity to get to fly and not have to pay for the plane (i.e. ferry flying / etc.), but you're only hurting yourself in the long run. Ask me how I know...

Best of luck, it'll happen, but you gotta work for it.

There is nothing wrong with giving back to the community, it's a good feeling. Civil air patrol, angel flights, Pilots N Paws Rescue, etc.

There is nothing wrong with giving back to the community, it's a good feeling. Civil air patrol, angel flights, Pilots N Paws Rescue, etc.
Not the same thing. He specifically asked about being a fresh commercial pilot, thus implying flying and getting paid. I agree, those 3 things you mentioned are great (I did a Pilots N Paws trip last week actually), but that's not the point of this discussion.

Not the same thing. He specifically asked about being a fresh commercial pilot, thus implying flying and getting paid. I agree, those 3 things you mentioned are great (I did a Pilots N Paws trip last week actually), but that's not the point of this discussion.

Huh? What I listed is flying for free aka volunteer work, you disagree? I agree the thread is about getting paid but I didn't derail it off the tracks, was just replying to your point.

Huh? What I listed is flying for free aka volunteer work, you disagree? I agree the thread is about getting paid but I didn't derail it off the tracks, was just replying to your point.
I appreciate the words of wisdom. Time is priceless right now. If I can get to 500 I have some connections to make that work out in my favor.

I moved to Mexico. The pay is decent (high for peso standards but average in dollars' worth), and Insurance here is less restrictive. I got to 1500 hours in less than 3 years.

Back