School house, side-sticks and normal law

Derg, I gotta buddy at Compass that is DTW based, and is looking to move on up to DAL mainline soon w/his guaranteed interview he has (pre contract a few years back). He's debating between mainline right seat, or oon left seat at Compass. His dream has always been DAL mainline, but he knows how awesome MTPIC time is... Tough call. Any advice?

Derg, I gotta buddy at Compass that is DTW based, and is looking to move on up to DAL mainline soon w/his guaranteed interview he has (pre contract a few years back). He's debating between mainline right seat, or oon left seat at Compass. His dream has always been DAL mainline, but he knows how awesome MTPIC time is... Tough call. Any advice?
Um, what? Is this a serious question or just another inside joke I'm missing?

First, get the offer of employment.

If Delta is offering to hire him but he's still considering staying for the left seat for MTPIC time, he's not going to pass the ever-loving psych evalua.... wait... REALLY? You didn't just pop him in the mouth when he asked you that ridiculous question? Did you ask, "SMOKEY! Are you hiiiiiiiiigh?" :)

Whole different company almost because of a base change and not a lot of 'south' guys bid the Airbus.

When we "southies" were hired, the philosophy was that we would never fly an airplane that did not give the pilots absolute 1000% overriding authority over control of the aircraft. So we were "raised" that highly-automated aircraft, like the Airbus, was Th' Devil. So after SOC (single operating certificate), not a lot of South guys jumped onboard Airbus equipment so it remains dominated by FNWA pilots. I think Jimflyfast was one of the first (if not THE first) Southies to make the jump into the Airbus 330 and, I'm sure, over a beer or six, he can tell lots of stories about what that was like.

There's plenty of FNWA that feel the same about the bus as Delta did, in fact for a long time it was mostly old Republic guys on it. I know I have been trying to convince the one I know to bid the big bus but boeing for the last 30 years is hard to break. Congrats though! Awesome airplane. Sucks you have to go to DTW though.

Huh? When was he hired?

There's plenty of FNWA that feel the same about the bus as Delta did, in fact for a long time it was mostly old Republic guys on it. I know I have been trying to convince the one I know to bid the big bus but boeing for the last 30 years is hard to break. Congrats though! Awesome airplane. Sucks you have to go to DTW though.

Ehh, JFK is no charmer!

Same thing with MSP ClarkGriswold...

I'm digging through my electronic flight manuals for the 330 now and there's "NWA" all over the Volume 1. Methinking going to training is going to be like me moving (temporarily) from Wisconsin to Atlanta.

"What do you mean the war of Northern Aggression? The Civil War's been over for generations!"

Dude, are you really going to toss softballs in the air like this. I will give you one pass.

I've already got my manuals downloaded and the VALinks set up (ahem, Kristie) and the airplane seems like even a sub-Saharan villager can learn to fly it.

Oh... Wait.

Not the first, but in the very early group. I thought I had switched airlines. Still do.

The airplane is fine above 1000 feet, but it has no soul (maybe Derg can change that:aghast:). I derive no pleasure from flying it, or putting in my vote for what I would like it to do, other than the paycheck. It is quiet and comfortable and reasonably fast in cruise, and the table is a nice place to have your dinner with the cat herders in the back literally throw it at you still in the wrappers 4 hours into the flight.

The rest of the stories require beer

Whole different company almost because of a base change and not a lot of 'south' guys bid the Airbus.

not a lot of South guys jumped onboard Airbus equipment so it remains dominated by FNWA pilots. I think Jimflyfast was one of the first (if not THE first) Southies to make the jump into the Airbus 330 and, I'm sure, over a beer or six, he can tell lots of stories about what that was like.

Back