School house, side-sticks and normal law

We might be up there the first weekend of August for some family fun!

Other than that, I am actually looking for a job in Michigan...I figure if Derg is switching bases, I might as well take a look since housing prices are decent and I don't (yet) have work in PHX. I'm looking at something Gov't...much more stable than the past few years and living in base might be kinda fun as we've not had the opportunity to try that yet. :)
What are you looking to do? I have family there with lots of connections.

Dumb question; just because it has always been the way where DH has worked. When a new domicile was awarded, vacation bids had to be redone. Can you now guarantee that you will be off for Oct 25? I don't know when any of this is effective and have no experience with an 11,000 pilot behemoth and how long it akes for things to change; DH's airlines were both super smaller. Just asking! Derg

Short story long:

I talked to the training planner and I'm going to retain my October vacation and train in late-October/early-November. By electing to retain my vacation, I waive "Pay Protection".

Basically "Pay Protection" means, in a real simple fashion is that "Advance Entitlements" (aka aircraft bids) are awarded and trained in order of seniority. So the most senior guys train first and therefore "convert" earlier than junior guys. So if they're not able to get me trained by my "conversion date", I start making the higher pay rate on that month, even though I'm untrained and still flying the 767.

So you can liquidate and rebid vacation, train quickly and start making the bigger check ASAP, or waive pay protection, keep your vacation date and lose pay protection.

TMI, but here it comes anyway.
First, you bid base, aircraft and seat.

My preferences were something, VERY ROUGHLY, like this:
1. ATL 777 A
2. DTW 777 A
3. DTW 330 A
4. SEA 330 A
5. NYC 7ER A
(et cetera... all the way 'down' to 737 captain. MD88/90 and lower isn't enough of a pay increase to make the jump to the left seat)

#4 and lower are 'dream bids' as you know you have a low chance of getting it, but you just never know, stranger things have happened

Then my first FO bids, part of the same preference list:

12. SEA 330 B
13. DTW 330 B

and so on and so on.

Base, aircraft and seat. A = Captain B = First Officer

Answers before the question comes from someone else: "Because South pilots are fenced off the 747 for the time being, to keep the answer super simple"

So when they're awarded it's something, initially like this

DTW330B DERG Projected Training: OCT Conversion Date: NOV

in seniority order.

So if the training pipeline is jammed, I get paid 330 rates flying the 767 starting November.

Or If do something like I did and say "I got this little thing in Vegas going on in October, I'm kind of a....well, big deal in Japan..." they're under no contractual obligation to start paying me in NOV if I haven't trained.

Short story long:

I talked to the training planner and I'm going to retain my October vacation and train in late-October/early-November. By electing to retain my vacation, I waive "Pay Protection".

Basically "Pay Protection" means, in a real simple fashion is that "Advance Entitlements" (aka aircraft bids) are awarded and trained in order of seniority. So the most senior guys train first and therefore "convert" earlier than junior guys. So if they're not able to get me trained by my "conversion date", I start making the higher pay rate on that month, even though I'm untrained and still flying the 767.

So you can liquidate and rebid vacation, train quickly and start making the bigger check ASAP, or waive pay protection, keep your vacation date and lose pay protection.

TMI, but here it comes anyway.
First, you bid base, aircraft and seat.

My preferences were something, VERY ROUGHLY, like this:
1. ATL 777 A
2. DTW 777 A
3. DTW 330 A
4. SEA 330 A
5. NYC 7ER A
(et cetera... all the way 'down' to 737 captain. MD88/90 and lower isn't enough of a pay increase to make the jump to the left seat)

#4 and lower are 'dream bids' as you know you have a low chance of getting it, but you just never know, stranger things have happened

Then my first FO bids, part of the same preference list:

12. SEA 330 B
13. DTW 330 B

and so on and so on.

Base, aircraft and seat. A = Captain B = First Officer

Answers before the question comes from someone else: "Because South pilots are fenced off the 747 for the time being, to keep the answer super simple"

So when they're awarded it's something, initially like this

DTW330B DERG Projected Training: OCT Conversion Date: NOV

in seniority order.

So if the training pipeline is jammed, I get paid 330 rates flying the 767 starting November.

Or If do something like I did and say "I got this little thing in Vegas going on in October, I'm kind of a....well, big deal in Japan..." they're under no contractual obligation to start paying me in NOV if I haven't trained.
Got it! Not TMI; you made it very clear and informative. Thank you and we'll see you in Oct. :)

Back