Used GPS

Kestrel452

Anyone know of a good but older aviation GPS that I should look for on eBay that runs about $150 or cheaper?

Lowrance Airmap 500. I had one for a long time and dug the thing.
An old Airmap 500 (B&W) or 600 (color) will do the job, but they have an annoying habit of locking up (at least the 500 did). You may have to reboot in flight, so this a truly a backup.

As a former Lowrance, now Garmin user, IMO the difference between an Airmap and a Garmin X95 or X96 is like the difference between a toy and a tool.

So I'd recommend saving up a bit longer and picking up a used Garmin 196 (B&W) or 296 (color) from a known online retailer like Atlantic/Pacific Coast Avionics. If eBay, pay close attention to seller ratings (there have been some instances of fraud with Garmins on eBay).

You might be able to find a used AnywhereMap unit as well. There are varying flavors of them out there and they're well-supported. A nice bonus is that if you break it, you can pick up another PDA and load the software to it.

The Dell Axim-based ones are fairly popular.

You might be able to find a used AnywhereMap unit as well. There are varying flavors of them out there and they're well-supported. A nice bonus is that if you break it, you can pick up another PDA and load the software to it.

The Dell Axim-based ones are fairly popular.

Would it be possible to load that software on say, a Treo?

I have a strange feeling that NC Software isn't going to port Logbook Pro to Android or the iPhone OS, so I'm going to be stuck holding onto this Treo long after I stop using the phone function of it.

Would it be possible to load that software on say, a Treo?

I have a strange feeling that NC Software isn't going to port Logbook Pro to Android or the iPhone OS, so I'm going to be stuck holding onto this Treo long after I stop using the phone function of it.

You'd really need to contact Control Vision, but I suppose it might be possible provided that you were running Windows Mobile. I'd ask them. Their sales and tech support staff is VERY helpful.

Flight master 7.6 for the treo is awesome... I am also, shamelessly selling a treo with it loaded in for sale. not asking much at all, but you will need to buy a GPS for it (freedom 2000 keychain) works wonders.

make an offer... but bet you could have both (gps would have to be though ebay or something... i've sold mine) for near that 150 mark.

I was thinking more about a GPS that was made to be a GPS, I don't quite have the technical knowledge to begin reprogramming a PDA.

I was thinking more about a GPS that was made to be a GPS, I don't quite have the technical knowledge to begin reprogramming a PDA.

Well, depending on what you do, you wouldn't have to. With the AnywhereMap PDA-units, if you buy one used it will already be pre-loaded.

There's one on Ebay right now - out of your price range. The Garmin 96Cs are going around $300 and there is also a Lowrance 600c for around $300, and I saw a Lowrance 500 for a little under $200.

AnywhereMap and Garmin both have loyal followings. The used market seems to have bottomed out somewhat on the older stuff, so if you found something and tried it out and didn't like it, you could probably turn it around pretty quick.

Keep saving and get a Garmin 296. That's my plan. Looks like you can get 'em used on ebay for about $600. Used a friend of mines on an extremely long x-country and it was awesome for situational awareness.

Wish I could buy one now but it will be a few months.

I see that the only really discernible difference between the 296 and the higher end models Garmin offers is XM weather. Is XM weather something important or is it just a needless expense?

I see that the only really discernible difference between the 296 and the higher end models Garmin offers is XM weather. Is XM weather something important or is it just a needless expense?

For me, right now, it's a needless expense. In fact, I am probably going to cancel my XM subscription for the time being. There have been a few marginal days where it was VFR, but I knew there were storm cells within 100 mi of my route, so it did give me some peace of mind having the display in the cockpit, even if the weather wasn't really a factor. Lately, though, I've not even been flying more than a couple hours a month, and certainly not in marginal conditions, so right now it doesn't make sense.

Now, when I get my IR, and start flying more for business (that's the plan, anyway) then I will definitely consider it worth the money. Anything that gives you better SA, in my opinion, can be a good thing.

If you are flying in IMC, or you own your own airplane and frequently use it for weekend trips, I can see where it would be invaluable. Of course, there's flight watch as well. :D

For $100 hamburger runs, probably not. I bought a 195 for $100 and it works fine for my needs.

There's more than that. I had a 296 and upgraded to a 495 (496 sans weather). No weather, but more robust database (SafeTaxi diagrams, private airports and the AOPA directory) and more modern guts made a difference to me.

XM weather's importance depends on your mission. I don't see its value for VFR flight and, for IFR, where I fly, its usually severe clear visual and "actual" typically means ice, thunderstorms or cumulo-granite. So the extra initial and recurring cost of XM weather wasn't worth it to me. Change my geographic location so I have a lot more flyable actual, and my calculation changes.

I personally use a 10 year old Garmin eMap. I've manually programmed all of the VORs, NDBs and airports within 500 miles of where I live (took about 2 hours). These things go for about $20 used on ebay. That's less than the $35 LED flashlight I carry.

All of the airplanes I routinely fly have a GPS, so this is really just a worst-case backup. Then again, it works perfectly well for direct navigation to airports or between VORs, so long as you are VFR.

You can't use any handheld GPS for IFR anyway. Therefore, I don't see the logic in dropping any substantial amount of money on a handheld aviation GPS.

Since you can't use a handheld GPS to fly an approach, it really doesn't matter if the waypoints are already in the database, or you load them manually. I'll waste 2 hours loading waypoints manually to save $500+.

I'll waste 2 hours loading waypoints manually to save $500+.

Me too. I have a Garmin eTrex Legend and it works great. Got it at Ghetto Mart for ~$100.

All I really want is ground speed, ETA and the arrow. Works great for that.

Back