Trump wants his personal Pilot to lead the FAA

"You're either born stupid or smart, school doesn't mean anything!"
That may not always be the case, but I can see your point that it often could be. If you're born stupid, and you have stupid parents, and you have no role models/mentors who care about you and go out of their way to help you... then yeah, it would be very easy to see how you might never learn to appreciate any meaning in school or take away any meaning from school.

The person best qualified for the job on the Republican side would be former Congressman Mica.
What the heck does party affiliation have to do with effectively managing the FAA?

...every air traffic controller in the world knows that every pilot in the world thinks that they are the only plane in the sky at any given time. Their request is always more important, and they always know best. ...

I say son, you've never heard the difference between a pilot and God?? ...

God doesn't think he's a pilot. ;)

You know, I was thinking the same thing, but for once I wasn't the guy who let it slip past the internal filter. :D

Back when I was an MEC officer I remember sitting down and talking to the airline's VP Flight Ops. I was giving him a hard time for not hiring more line pilots to do flight ops administrative work. His response:

"Todd, I was a line pilot, so I'd love to hire more line pilots to come in here and do work. But every time I try to give a pilot a job in here, they struggle to write an email with proper grammar and spelling, they can't put together a PowerPoint presentation to save their lives, and designing a complex spreadsheet is completely off the table. So I can either pay them $200k to do a horrible job, or I can pay someone else $50k to do a great job. What would you do?"

I never bothered him again about it.

Is it possible, @ATN_Pilot, that a significant percentage of pilots say to themselves ‘I’ve spent a good amount of my training learning how to fly airplanes, that’s my side of the business, and I’m not qualified to go to the office’ and simply never show up to be included in your view that you are projecting to the whole pilot group? Maybe the ones who thought they could handle other aspects of the airline business were full of it and that attitude caused them to show up. And that’s what your seeing.

I am a line pilot, and don’t feel I’m qualified to run other aspects of aviation. So I don’t even think about responding to inquiries regarding management opportunities. Left swipe. Plus, I left Corporate America because I didn’t like PowerPoint, spreadsheets, and the overall (I’ll quote your post above) ‘come in here and do work.’ So in addition to not feeling qualified, you can pay me $200,000 to do what I love(fly), or pay me $200,000 to ‘come in and do work.’ The answer for me is the former with zero consideration for the latter.

Is it possible, @ATN_Pilot, that a significant percentage of pilots say to themselves ‘I’ve spent a good amount of my training learning how to fly airplanes, that’s my side of the business, and I’m not qualified to go to the office’ and simply never show up to be included in your view that you are projecting to the whole pilot group? Maybe the ones who thought they could handle other aspects of the airline business were full of it and that attitude caused them to show up. And that’s what your seeing.

I suppose anything is possible. But based upon my interactions with thousands of pilots over a 14 year airline career, that wasn't my impression. Most pilots are very good at flying airplanes. I generally wouldn't trust them to do much else.

Pilots aren't smart enough, as a group, to vote in their own economic self interest or with the labor movement. If we can't figure out something that basic, then we as a group demonstrate our incompetence outside of the cockpit.

While there are exceptions, as a whole, Jimmy is right.

Neither is consistently posting on a public board, (in which we’ve been told management reads), how stupid pilots as a group are. I think this is way more damaging to our ‘economic self interest’ than the election. After all, it is management that’s going to have to sign our first contract with pay rates. (I’m vaguely thinking I’ve seen that you recently became my coworker. If my memory is wrong, my apologies).

‘Wow! These people continuously post what a stupid group they belong to. And they are asking for a raise? Why should’ve we give them a raise when they are so stupid and all they’ll do with their additional money is invest in MLM schemes and Iraqi Dinars’?

That’s what this website continuously projects. Every pilot is on their third wife, knee deep in boat payments, terrible at everything outside the cockpit, and continuously pimping Pyramid Schemes and Iraqi Dinars to their coworkers.’

FWIW, I’ve had ONE pilot talk to me about an MLM scheme. And I’m not even sure it was an MLM scheme. It was a ‘Business Opportunity ‘ and I said ‘just email the info to me.’ Never heard back. And I’ve NEVER had a pilot talk to me about Iraqi Dinars.

That’s what this website continuously projects. Every pilot is on their third wife, knee deep in boat payments, terrible at everything outside the cockpit, and continuously pimping Pyramid Schemes and Iraqi Dinars to their coworkers.’

I actually understand where you're coming from here, and somewhat agree with tone, if not content. Pilots are a pretty weird group, and we spend quite a long time kinda trashing the job in a weird, faux-deprecating-narcissist sort of way. It's not 'cool' to take the job seriously, believe in your fellow pilots, appreciate how difficult the job can be and how much time, effort and dedication it takes to get there. People overestimate the ability and knowledge of other professions, and denigrate their own.

Anyway, ...

Neither is consistently posting on a public board, (in which we’ve been told management reads), how stupid pilots as a group are. I think this is way more damaging to our ‘economic self interest’ than the election. After all, it is management that’s going to have to sign our first contract with pay rates. (I’m vaguely thinking I’ve seen that you recently became my coworker. If my memory is wrong, my apologies).

‘Wow! These people continuously post what a stupid group they belong to. And they are asking for a raise? Why should’ve we give them a raise when they are so stupid and all they’ll do with their additional money is invest in MLM schemes and Iraqi Dinars’?

That’s what this website continuously projects. Every pilot is on their third wife, knee deep in boat payments, terrible at everything outside the cockpit, and continuously pimping Pyramid Schemes and Iraqi Dinars to their coworkers.

I seriously doubt airline management needs messages on aviation boards to form their opinion of pilot intelligence, or that perceived pilot intelligence factors significantly into how much they pay. They simply pay the smallest amount they can to ensure the company is adequately staffed (in theory at least- everyone knows about the examples of woefully understaffed regionals). Or in the case of a unionized company, come time for contract negotiations, they will simply negotiate for the lowest pay that a majority of the pilot group will vote "Yes" on. They could think pilots are all geniuses with IQs of 199 and that would still be the case.

FWIW, I’ve had ONE pilot talk to me about an MLM scheme. And I’m not even sure it was an MLM scheme. It was a ‘Business Opportunity ‘ and I said ‘just email the info to me.’ Never heard back. And I’ve NEVER had a pilot talk to me about Iraqi Dinars.

Management doesn't pay us based on how good we are at plumbing or investing, they pay us based on what we're capable of negotiating. I trust the NC to bring a market rate contract, and support the MEC's guidance on that issue.

The Iraqi Dinars guy was at Delta, I believe. I've run into more than one captain at the three airlines I've worked for who was on their third wife/boat combo.

EDIT: I hope to Christ management isn't reading APC and making opinions based on the 5 man anger fest over there. That forum is a cesspool.

I actually understand where you're coming from here, and somewhat agree with tone, if not content. Pilots are a pretty weird group, and we spend quite a long time kinda trashing the job in a weird, faux-deprecating-narcissist sort of way. It's not 'cool' to take the job seriously, believe in your fellow pilots, appreciate how difficult the job can be and how much time, effort and dedication it takes to get there. People overestimate the ability and knowledge of other professions, and denigrate their own.

Anyway, ...

Dunning Kruger effect...kind of.

Iraqi Dinars are terrific! Have you tried the lamb??

Back